Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Was Australia's Sledging Too Much?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    And tbf that's exactly what Cook was saying when interviewed post-match. His one exception was regarding the unprofessionalism of Warner's off-the-pitch comments about Trott, but we're probably going to hear a lot more of that sort of thing. I've always liked the old rugby adage of showing respect to your opponents even if you've just put 100 points against them, but maybe that's just not the way nowadays. Shame really. The other point that Cook made, quite reasonably, was that the back-to-back series was always going to contribute to a certain amount of needle.
    You're assuming Warner has any redeeming features as a bloke.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    IIRC Anderson gave Watson a fair send-off in the second innings. There's no paragons of virtue here.
    There never is with winning teams. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Johnson is ****ing intimidating, definitely the scariest in the current team. Even when he's bowling all over the place I don't think people really want to be facing him in Tests.
    Bloke like Johnson, agreed he's dangerous enough when he's a bit erratic but it's when he's on the button you know you're in real trouble. That tells you he's got his body and head right. Also tells you something about how rough it must be at the receiving end when we're talking about any quick being intimidating in the era of ultra protection. And, honestly, it gives you a big indicator of what someone like Lee missed a lot of the time. Johnson, when he's on top, stays all over you at the same (quick enough!) pace whereas Lee would see a bloke is intimidated, try bowling quicker and slip into yorker/bouncer. Any one well directed bumper can scare the life out of someone but consistent pace sucks the air out of the room for even the best batters.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, they went after Anderson hard because he was going after them but then went to the umpires once the Aussies started sledging him. So long as it wasn't anything personal (I believe it started with Bailey making fun of Andersons bowling) that lead to Anderson going to the umpires I have no issues.

The guys like Root who just laugh it off or get on with it don't get as harsh a treatment. I spoke with an english friend about this and he seemed to think it was unheard of to sledge in england juniors teams and it's not done at all in their culture, is that true?

For me it adds a bit more life to the game, is johnson supposed to apolgize after every bouncer? Test cricket is big boy cricket and cricket is a sport where getting in someone's head and altering their mind set can make a huge difference in the game. So long as people don't bring race/religion/family into sledging I don't see the problem.
    Last edited by outbreak; 24-11-2013 at 04:49 PM.

TNT
    U19 Cricketer
    Don't see the problem, amusing thread though.

adub and Justo like this.
    If you nick it walk

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

Amazing find.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Loved Johnson's 'To Catch a Predator' smile at Root.
    JontyPanesar likes this.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Competition isn't meant to be friendly. They can all be friends when they retire. Are the English so feeble-minded that they are offended and rattled by mere words? I would give them a little more credit than that. Cricket is the only sport where we make a big deal about sledging. Every other sport, trash talk is normal, whether it is lighthearted banter or nasty insults. I've never understood why people take such stuff personally anyways. Why should David Warner's opinion mean anything to Jonathan Trott?

Warner's opinion wouldn't mean a pinch of **** to Trott unless there was a kernel of truth to it.

Love the sledge. It's just another way to work over the opposition. You gotta be focused to handle balls coming at your throat at 145km, you gotta be focused to negotiate late swing, you gotta be focused to negotiate one that turns and bounces out of the foot marks. If the opposition can get you focusing on what they're saying rather than the next ball then they're that step closer to winning. They're just looking for a weakness, or trying to take maximum advantage of one that's been identified. Done badly or against a poorly chosen target it can backfire. Sledging Waugh for instance was dumb. Just made the **** more determined.

And that's part of Test cricket's magic for me. It is total. The battle starts long before the toss. Trott has been identified as a weak link now. The Australians aren't going to ease up on him. He has two options - fight back or be destroyed. His captain having a whinge about that nasty Davy saying mean things isn't helping him. I like Trott and kinda hope he can respond and jam Warner's words down his throat through weight of runs. But if he doesn't then how was what Warner said wrong?

Adub an expert at handling balls coming at his throat.
    Smudge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Adub an expert at handling balls coming at his throat.
    whereas you prefer them coming at the chin or nose?

I play the stroke well.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You're assuming Warner has any redeeming features as a bloke.
    His missus. See Candic Falzon (google it yerselves)

other luminaries shes been through include Braith Anasta, Matt Henjak, David Carney, $onny Bill Williams, Sam Burgess and Brent Staker
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Australia just had a climax and let out a collective sigh of relief, born out of frustration by a series of no-run stands. Just hope they don't fall asleep and can get up for the next match.

Can't say I'm proud of some of the things that were said by our boys, but **** it, this is the ashes ad if they want to dish it out they can
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    His missus. See Candic Falzon (google it yerselves)

other luminaries shes been through include Braith Anasta, Matt Henjak, David Carney, $onny Bill Williams, Sam Burgess and Brent Staker
    Wait, Warner is with Falzon?? First I've heard of it...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information