• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

wiff

First Class Debutant
They bend over for Lehmann like Joe Hockey for Barnaby Joyce when considering a Grain Corp sell off.
I thought keeping control of our own grain would be a good thing, despite Joe Hockey—who I once met on holiday in Fiji. I kept saying to my root "that's Joe Hockey, I'm sure that's Joe Hockey." Anyway he must of overheard me because he piped up and said in his Joe Hockey half-laughing sort of way "yeah, I'm Joe". And that's the end of that interesting story with a politician—except I did meet John Howard on board of a replica of the Endeavour one night in Darling Harbour, but that's another story. Interesting enough Joe Hockey has a daughter named Adelaide who was not on holiday with him in Fiji. Come to think of it, that woman he was with may not of been his wife. Anyway, back to the cricket and more importantly Adelaide Oval.

Let us not deceive ourselves about Adelaide. All this talk about bending over and rotation has made Adelaide the place to go. Named after Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort to King William IV, the royal heinous blew her mental gasket there in 1836 after spending too long staring at the perfection of the wicket*. According to her memoirs, “I was absorbed in the contemplation of sublime beauty, I reached the point where one encounters celestial sensations, I had palpitations of the heart, Life was drained from me”.

So that was the last time Adelaide had any moisture.

* that should read "pitch"

Last edited:

wiff

First Class Debutant
OK, I'm bored at work, so I wrote a little ditty:

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of Adelaide
I take a look at a bowler's life and realize there’s nuttin’ left
Cause I’ve been blastin and swingin so long that
Even Shane Warne’s mum thinks that my mind is gone

But I ain’t never crossed a bowler that didn’t deserve it
Me be treated like a allrounder, you know that’s unheard of
You better watch how you nickin and where you walkin
Or Peter and Ryan might be lined in chalk

I really hate to travel but I gotta IPL
As they bend I see myself in the daily Mirror, fool
I’m the kinda God the little milo stars wanna be like
On my knees in the night, sayin prayers in Rundle Mall

We’ve been spending most our lives
Living in the Batsman’s Paradise

Look at the situation, they got me facin
I can’t live a normal life, I was raised by Ian Chappell
So I gotta be down with the face cream
Too much channel 9 got me chasin dreams

I’m a IPL man with money on my mind
Got five in my hand and a gleam in my eye
I’m a loc’ed out batter, wacky eye banger
And when my runs is down, don’t arouse my anger, fool

Death ain’t nuthin but a heartbeat away
If your a bowler what can I say?
Will you live to see twenty-fo’?
The way things is goin I don’t know

Tell me why are we so blond to see
That the ones we hurt are bowling to me

Power and the crows, crows and the power
that aint no game give me hour after hour
Everybody’s runnin but half of them ain’t lookin
It’s goin crazy on the wicket* but I don’t care for sookin

They say I got to learn but nobody’s here to catch me
If they can’t understand it, how can they lbw me?
I guess they can’t, I guess they won’t
I guess they see me at 400 unless I is outta luck, fool

With permission: Wiffio - Batters Paradise Lyrics

*pitches you bitches

the big bambino

International Captain
OK, I'm bored at work, so I wrote a little ditty:

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of Adelaide
I take a look at a bowler's life and realize there’s nuttin’ left
Can be read as the bowler goin' for the nut as a 1st last and best resort. Therefore pitch made for Johnson. Clever pun. Love your work...up to here.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So is there any mileage in England playing both spinners at Adelaide?
I think it would be a great option bowling wise for England with Australia's batting order from 3 to 7 consisting all right handers.

If Prior was in his usual good form with the bat, I would play at Adelaide: 1 Carberry 2 Cook 3 Root 4 Pietersen 5 Bell 6 Prior 7 Bresnan 8 Broad 9 Swann 10 Anderson 11 Panesar

I expect to see though: Trott out Ballance in and Bresnan in for Tremlett if management feel he is fit enough.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Would need to play Stokes as well you'd have thought. And I can't see Panesar being anything but fodder in the first innings. Obviously it will take spin as the game goes on but I expect them to pick Brezza

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Prior at six on current form not the best idea, Brezza at 7 isn't something I'd be over the moon about either. I still have nightmares about last time we bumped one of our bowlers up to 7 :sick:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I guess I should have written it more clearly, something like: "If Prior was playing at his usual batting ability before his recent form slump, one option would be to move him up to 6". However, since he is out of form, this wont happen and I expect to see Ballance in for Trott and Bresnan in for Tremlett if management feel he is up to it.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Does anyone else get the feeling that this Test could be the most pivotal of them all?

No result - Australia have to mess up horrendously at the MCG and SCG not to win back the Ashes.

Australian win - Australia carry the momentum into Perth paving the way for the second 5-0 whitewash in 8 years.

England win - Game on. The series to be decided at SCG.

Of course this relies on the massive assumption that Australia will crush England at Perth which is a good bet but not a certainty. Cricket is never as simple as statistics but it's been 36 years since we haven't lost there.