• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at The Gabba

Hooksey

Banned
I would have thought Rogers has possibly the best technique against fast bowling in Australia, especially against the swinging ball
I think Rogers has the most effective defensive in the Australian side and is also as correct as any of the others. One of his great strengths is knowing his limitations and playing within them.

Having a Rogers, Cook, Langer type opener in your test line up is certainly advantageous. Particularly if you can partner them with an aggressive right hander at the other end.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
ffs, just realised I'll be at schoolies with a bunch of people who don't like cricket for the entirety of this test match, pretty sure we'll have wifi though, so I'm gonna be counting on you ****s
I had the same problem last year, only without the wifi.

If you've got some VB around and get a couple of beers into the guys, they'll sit down and watch for a bit at least. Can't complain about having it on in the background though, surely?

Hooksey

Banned
Or worse still, what if it's randomly someone like Raphael?

There aren't that many Shield games before the first Test so picking purely on form would be ridiculous. Even if it works for a Test, form is cyclical so if the bloke isn't good enough his average will drop back into the 20s soon enough he'll get dropped.

The selection should be based primarily on technique, temperament and proven ability - ie. the best batsman should be selected. If the bloke is in terrible form then that's different obviously but there should be a minimum requirement for early season form and then actual batsmanship should be used to decide between the qualifiers.
Solid principals. But if they'd been applied to Steve Smith for instance, he wouldn't have been selected for his test debut 3 years ago, and wouldn't now be batting at number 5.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On that basis Smith shouldn't have been selected for his debut, indeed.

But with that criteria he was an ideal selection for India, and once he impressed (which relatively speaking, he did) there he should have been selected for England (looking over the fact that he initially wasn't).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I had the same problem last year, only without the wifi.

If you've got some VB around and get a couple of beers into the guys, they'll sit down and watch for a bit at least. Can't complain about having it on in the background though, surely?
They want to play a massive monopoly game one day, I'll see if we can do that with the cricket on in the background, honestly I shouldn't miss too much and I'll be having the best time anyway.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They want to play a massive monopoly game one day, I'll see if we can do that with the cricket on in the background, honestly I shouldn't miss too much and I'll be having the best time anyway.
What day have they set aside for the lamington drive?

Spark

Global Moderator
There's more to technique than aesthetics. Based on the last six months, you'd take Smith's technique over Khawaja's, Hughes's et al

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is possible to have fun without drinking, but I hope that the massive Monolopy game turns out to be a drinking game.. How does Monolopy ever end up being massive without drinks?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
When the time comes I will make sure to tell you guys just how the monopoly game goes down

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Risk IMO. We had a second trip away during the uni break and had multiple games of it. Friendships were very nearly destroyed.

One of my mates and I, playing a team game, did #StopTheBoats, however.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Smith's temperament and ability against spin is near unrivalled (Clarke aside) in Australia. What other parts of the criteria is there?
Yeah, this. His footwork and shot selection to spin is generally pretty impressive. The technique was definitely there for him to be selected to tour India under any criteria.

Not to mention his Australia A team runs would count for him as well - counts under the 'proven ability' category. Also ludicrous to suggest that technique = looking nice. By that logic, Usman Khawaja's technique is flawless and Shane Watson should have no real technical issues to speak of.

Hooksey

Banned
Smith's temperament and ability against spin is near unrivalled (Clarke aside) in Australia. What other parts of the criteria is there?
Smith's temperament and effectiveness against spin are near unrivalled. His technique is very ordinary by test standards, but he makes up for the deficiencies with his ability to apply it and great hand to eye coordination. The guy is a freakish talent who has gotten by regardless of technical correctness.

Hooksey

Banned
Yeah, this. His footwork and shot selection to spin is generally pretty impressive. The technique was definitely there for him to be selected to tour India under any criteria.

Not to mention his Australia A team runs would count for him as well - counts under the 'proven ability' category. Also ludicrous to suggest that technique = looking nice. By that logic, Usman Khawaja's technique is flawless and Shane Watson should have no real technical issues to speak of.
3 years ago Steve Smith was selected as a project player based on the promise he showed as much as anything else. At the time his fielding ability was factored into his selection because Australia's fielding at the time was deemed to be poor. He has since demonstrated 'proven ability' by succeeding the way he has. I have become a converted Smith fan after wondering for a while why he continued to be selected. Full points to the guy.