Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Australia's test side for the Ashes in Australia

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Good one-day middle order players, who are forced to learn how to knock lots of singles in the middle overs of spinners, tend to be good players of spin.

Although I guess that presents the whole cause - effect thing.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Who would you guys say are Australia's best players of spin who aren't currently in the test side?
    Dussey
    There are two colours in my head

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    He sucks against good spin though. Destroys average spinners though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    He sucks against good spin though. Destroys average spinners though.
    Sadly, he is still most likely the best.

I'm also thinking that Callum Ferguson goes alright against spinners. I haven't thought about it that much though.

you'd expect most NSW batsmen to be decent against spin, how about Nevilleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

International Debutant
    Is Dussey poor against pace bowling then? You'd think with his knowledge of English conditions and his experience he'd have had more of a look in. He would probably only have 12-18 months though, meaning you'd have to find new bats again soon with Rogers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Is Dussey poor against pace bowling then? You'd think with his knowledge of English conditions and his experience he'd have had more of a look in. He would probably only have 12-18 months though, meaning you'd have to find new bats again soon with Rogers as well.
    was terrible in the SS last season, flat track bully IMO, couldn't cope with the movement on shield pitches, does know how to score runs though, mightn't have done any better than Smitteh though

Dussey is overall quite ordinary against short pitched bowling, but you have to give the guy some credit, he still averages over 50 throughout a long career so knows how to make runs in all circumstances.

For this particular series, he would have been ideal coming in at number 4 in hindsight.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 13-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.

I think all of Khawaja, Hughes, and Cowan are capable batsmen and should have been given a proper run in the team. Yes, Cowan was given an extended run but he was dropped after the first test after being one of the better bats in India.

batting lineup for the return series:

Warner
    Rogers
    Hughes
    Khawaja
    Clarke
    Smith/Watson (Watson if he can bowl, Smith otherwise)

Cowan should be the reserve opener/1st drop batsman if Hughes still can't get his **** together.

The bowlers, really depends on how Pattinson and Harris' fitness is.
    Last edited by hendrix; 13-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.

I'm not even going to consider naming a batting lineup until after this series is over. Lehmann has stated that some of the batsman are playing for their careers. I assume that means Khawaja, Smith and probably Watson need runs and if they do perform in the final Test, there is every chance they will play at the Gabba.

The line which I definitely do not accept though is that we should keep picking between Hughes, Khawaja and Smith as 'they are the best we've got'. There are without doubt batsman out there who could perform above the level that the NSW developed trio have performed at so far in their careers.

One thing that I completely agree with Backlash is that the decision to stage big series is costing our batsman from developing. We NEED some batsman scoring runs against weaker opponents, learning how to bat longer and just gaining confidence that they can make runs. We should bring out Bangladesh or Zimbabwe this time next year and play up in Darwin or Cairns.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I think Rogers, Warner, Clarke and Smith should all be retained since they've been the four guys holding Australia together when they've played. I'd probably go with Hughes at three and I guess Watson at six since he's coming off a good knock and can bowl. He's on the thinnest of ices though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The problem is if your blonde and your name starts with W your not playing for your career. None of the NSW 3 will get given the amount of opportunities that he has.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Would seem harsh on Smith to bracket him with Hughes, Khawaja and Watson.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The thing is if some are playing for their careers who replaces them and are they any good anyway? If England get off to a good start this winter and are ahead after the first couple of tests then I can see Australia chopping and changing their side again in the same way they have in England looking for a magic formula.

Uzi, Hughes and Smith getting dropped and replaced by Doolan, Maddinson, Burns, etc wont achieve anything with the same instant gratification results policy. Unless one if them magically makes an instant success of it your left with 3 new guys knowing they bat for their career every time they walk out. Your not developing young batters your throwing them to the wolves hoping one of them figures out how to fight. That might work when the SS was churning out guys like Love, Law etc but that's clearly not the case anymore.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information