• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pattinson Out of the Rest of the Series

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming Bird bowls decently in the Sussex game and is fit, he's the obvious choice. Starc's batting might push him ahead though, or he might outbowl Bird in the tour game. I'd be really shocked if they picked Faulkner, though I can sort of imagine it the same way I could imagine getting bowled out for 128 on a flat Lords pitch.

Ruckus

International Captain
Then him and Harris play alternate tests then.
Yeah I really don't see any good reason why we shouldn't be doing that. Both are probably the two most similar bowlers in ability and style we have, so it's the closest like-for-like replacement. And if possible it's also obv better if both don't have to play back to back tests. Plus we have enough depth to fill in the other spaces. Like I fear now what's going to happen is that Harris will be played again and will break down. It's just not really sustainable.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think the main focus shoul dbe the strength of the tail, but the strength of the bowling unit if you're replacing Pattinson. Sure, he can bat better than Bird, but the guys at the top of the order just need to pull their fingers out. If we're relying on the tail to win The Ashes then we've already lost them.

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah totally agree. The fact is we are 2-0 down now and there is zero chance we are going to win if the tail need to keep bailing us out. It's the moment of truth for the top order - they have to fire or it's game over.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
While Pattinson is very good and all, I really think Bird is going to be the next great Australian bowler. He should've been playing in both Tests if fit because there were overcast conditions in both English first innings and he would've been a handful with his style.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
will be pretty lulz if magoffin plays and wrecks the aussies. not that impossible to imagine even, he's been in top form all season.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Should be called in as Patto's replacement tbh. I'm counting on him crushing the Australian line-up though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'bout time Shaun Tait started thinking about his country rather than himself isn't it? I'm sure Essex could be persuaded to release him

uvelocity

International Coach
gffers will without a doubt skittle us.

yelled at the radio this morning over this. really disappointing but at the same time neither unexpected or really defining for the team or the man himself.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Seems the roles have been completely reversed. Back in the good old days it would be the English seamers getting injured or never being fully fit (Jones, Gough, Fraser etc).

Spark

Global Moderator
While Pattinson is very good and all, I really think Bird is going to be the next great Australian bowler. He should've been playing in both Tests if fit because there were overcast conditions in both English first innings and he would've been a handful with his style.
Do you mean swinging conditions?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
He's quite old (27) to have only played 20 FC matches, is he quite injury prone too?