Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: MICHAEL CLARKE should Australia drop/rest him for the 5th test match

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 36.11%
  • No

23 63.89%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should Australia drop Michael Clarke for the Fifth Test?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    That's another point completely though, no? Either Clarke is good enough, or he isn't.
    Who would you pick instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    That's another point completely though, no? Either Clarke is good enough, or he isn't.

Not unless you have 2 players better than both of them.

What happens if you decide you only have six players good enough, Nath?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Never seen anyone in Australian cricket polarise public opinion like Michael Clarke. Both as a person and as a cricketer.

The randomness of his social life, the fact he was picked very early to be a future captain, and the fact he is so incredibly slow scoring in limited overs cricket, really does mean opinions are split.
    I'll say. It confuses me to no end. pasag's theory is a decent one as to why that might be the case.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Who would you pick instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Not unless you have 2 players better than both of them.
    I've wanted the same XI since before the Ashes started, it hasn't changed. See my sig, or the relevant thread. Hughes has looked terrible (mind you, he was good until he was run-out last innings...) and Smith has been poor too (but is averaging more than Clarke ).

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    What happens if you decide you only have six players good enough, Nath?
    We forfeit, obvs.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering Phil 'The Prince' Hughes - we will always love you

There is some weird obsession in Australia at the moment with Cameron White and David Hussey. No idea why people think old, mediocre batsmen are the future. At least pick someone with youth on their side.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Cameron White is only 27.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cameron White is only 27.
    What do you mean, only? And anyway, White only averaged 40 in first class cricket last year. Pretty much the same as Smith, who still bowls at a decent level and is 7 years younger.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Most batsman hit their peak at around 28. Considering White could still have 7+ years in him it is ridiculous to shun him because of age.

Most batsman hit their peak at around 28. Considering White could still have 7+ years in him it is ridiculous to shun him because of age.
    I am not ruling out picking someone who is 27 but you have to take into consideration that at 27 there is usually not much improvement left so they really have to have a lot of runs behind them to pick them. The older they are, the stronger the case they have to make. White has not really stood out.
    Last edited by Debris; 01-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.

I'd say White has improved massively in the past couple of seasons. Watched him first hand coming in at No 3 in ODIs against Eng in 2009 when Ponting was rested and was really surprised how composed he was at the crease. Made runs in virtually every match against a similar bowling attack - Anderson, Bresnan, Swann etc. Got a ton for Aus A against Eng also this tour.

Has been performing well at the international level in both ODIs & T20s for a while now. For Victoria he's led us to three Sheffield Shields, making runs in every final. Plus all the T20 titles. To me he seems exactly like the sort of mature character to take the team forward.

Dave Hussey averages 55 at first class level playing in both Aus & Eng over almost a decade. Averages aren't everything but geez that's more that G Sobers at 1st class! He's miles ahead of North & Smith as batsmen. If he was to replace even Clarke in the line up I reckon the team would be stronger, not weaker. To be fair his ODI performances probably counted against his test prospects but I reckon he's got a couple of years left at his peak so why select inferior players?? It's not like the current line up is performing.
    Last edited by Camo999; 03-01-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Cam White also has one massive upside that no-one else who's been mooted has got, and that's plenty of good captaincy experience.
    ​63*

Right, I'm honestly not trying to start a childish flame war KP v Clarke argument but a few months ago some of the Aussie contingency were rewriting history (as one poster articulately stated) saying that Clarke was better owed to KP's poor form.

It goes to show the swings and roundabouts nature of cricket that this debate (dropping Clarke) is even taking place.

It also demonstrates the nature of bad form quite well when looking at different kinds of players. When KP was out of form he played ridiculous shots and looked silly but still occasionally dangerous. Clarke, for all his tighter technique, looks lacking in imagination and stuck in an awful rut. He looks like his bat has writers' block.

I would have rested him for a few months. He needs to be reset...for want of a better word.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Can't fathom why anyone would talk of dropping Michael Clarke tbh. Am perfectly happy to see him keep his place and continue performing in the manner which he has so far this series.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information