• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australia drop Michael Clarke for the Fifth Test?

MICHAEL CLARKE should Australia drop/rest him for the 5th test match

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke's a damn good batsman, it would just be obscene to have him on the sidelines while Smith is batting in the top six.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Clarke's a damn good batsman, it would just be obscene to have him on the sidelines while Smith is batting in the top six.
That's another point completely though, no? Either Clarke is good enough, or he isn't.

(He's not) :eat:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Never seen anyone in Australian cricket polarise public opinion like Michael Clarke. Both as a person and as a cricketer.

The randomness of his social life, the fact he was picked very early to be a future captain, and the fact he is so incredibly slow scoring in limited overs cricket, really does mean opinions are split.

Spark

Global Moderator
Never seen anyone in Australian cricket polarise public opinion like Michael Clarke. Both as a person and as a cricketer.

The randomness of his social life, the fact he was picked very early to be a future captain, and the fact he is so incredibly slow scoring in limited overs cricket, really does mean opinions are split.
I'll say. It confuses me to no end. pasag's theory is a decent one as to why that might be the case.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Who would you pick instead?
Not unless you have 2 players better than both of them.
I've wanted the same XI since before the Ashes started, it hasn't changed. See my sig, or the relevant thread. :) Hughes has looked terrible (mind you, he was good until he was run-out last innings...) and Smith has been poor too (but is averaging more than Clarke ;)).

What happens if you decide you only have six players good enough, Nath?
We forfeit, obvs.

Debris

International 12th Man
There is some weird obsession in Australia at the moment with Cameron White and David Hussey. No idea why people think old, mediocre batsmen are the future. At least pick someone with youth on their side.

Debris

International 12th Man
Cameron White is only 27.
What do you mean, only? And anyway, White only averaged 40 in first class cricket last year. Pretty much the same as Smith, who still bowls at a decent level and is 7 years younger.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Most batsman hit their peak at around 28. Considering White could still have 7+ years in him it is ridiculous to shun him because of age.

Debris

International 12th Man
Most batsman hit their peak at around 28. Considering White could still have 7+ years in him it is ridiculous to shun him because of age.
I am not ruling out picking someone who is 27 but you have to take into consideration that at 27 there is usually not much improvement left so they really have to have a lot of runs behind them to pick them. The older they are, the stronger the case they have to make. White has not really stood out.

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
I'd say White has improved massively in the past couple of seasons. Watched him first hand coming in at No 3 in ODIs against Eng in 2009 when Ponting was rested and was really surprised how composed he was at the crease. Made runs in virtually every match against a similar bowling attack - Anderson, Bresnan, Swann etc. Got a ton for Aus A against Eng also this tour.

Has been performing well at the international level in both ODIs & T20s for a while now. For Victoria he's led us to three Sheffield Shields, making runs in every final. Plus all the T20 titles. To me he seems exactly like the sort of mature character to take the team forward.

Dave Hussey averages 55 at first class level playing in both Aus & Eng over almost a decade. Averages aren't everything but geez that's more that G Sobers at 1st class! He's miles ahead of North & Smith as batsmen. If he was to replace even Clarke in the line up I reckon the team would be stronger, not weaker. To be fair his ODI performances probably counted against his test prospects but I reckon he's got a couple of years left at his peak so why select inferior players?? It's not like the current line up is performing.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cam White also has one massive upside that no-one else who's been mooted has got, and that's plenty of good captaincy experience.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Right, I'm honestly not trying to start a childish flame war KP v Clarke argument but a few months ago some of the Aussie contingency were rewriting history (as one poster articulately stated) saying that Clarke was better owed to KP's poor form.

It goes to show the swings and roundabouts nature of cricket that this debate (dropping Clarke) is even taking place.

It also demonstrates the nature of bad form quite well when looking at different kinds of players. When KP was out of form he played ridiculous shots and looked silly but still occasionally dangerous. Clarke, for all his tighter technique, looks lacking in imagination and stuck in an awful rut. He looks like his bat has writers' block.

I would have rested him for a few months. He needs to be reset...for want of a better word.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't fathom why anyone would talk of dropping Michael Clarke tbh. Am perfectly happy to see him keep his place and continue performing in the manner which he has so far this series.