• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

howardj

International Coach
Dwta

That made that mistake with Watson - batting him at seven below Gilly just because he could bowl!!!

howardj

International Coach
And youll find that the keepers dont want to bat at six.

They like the freedom and lack of responsiblity at seven.

Woodster

International Captain
I may be overly harsh on Smith, but have not been impressed by either his bowling or batting, not that I'm any kind of expert. His record looks impressive, and I guess the old adage of not how but how many is a pertinent one with Smith. Just don't think it's the right time for him, yet shows a lack of options. With Watson in the side in theory that should give the side balance to select a strong top 7, now I appreciate there's a lack of options, but wouldn't have thought Smith is one of the best batsmen in the country yet.

Woodster

International Captain
And youll find that the keepers dont want to bat at six.

They like the freedom and lack of responsiblity at seven.
Not sure about that, bit of a generalisation suggesting keepers don't like batting there. Reckon Prior would jump at the chance, and had Australia not had such a strong top six when Gilchrist was around, he'd have relished a move up, even just a place.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I've made my thoughts clear on Smith at 6, but I hope he does very well still even if I'm proven wrong.

Has anyone seen the commercial on fox 8 for the show Cricket Superstar, i wonder if it's on TV a few months after filming ended and Michael Beer was the winner, haha *dry*

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I may be overly harsh on Smith, but have not been impressed by either his bowling or batting, not that I'm any kind of expert. His record looks impressive, and I guess the old adage of not how but how many is a pertinent one with Smith. Just don't think it's the right time for him, yet shows a lack of options. With Watson in the side in theory that should give the side balance to select a strong top 7, now I appreciate there's a lack of options, but wouldn't have thought Smith is one of the best batsmen in the country yet.
Mate, you're right - he definitely needs to improve in one or both disciplines to be a long term player. However, I think as do many folk here in Australia, that he has the raw potential and scope for that improvement.

Time will be the judge, I guess.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Depends on the player really, Prior for example is a batsman first, keeper second and often bats #5 for Sussex.
Yeah Haddin bats at around 5 often for NSW. In fact, the last time Haddin and Smith played together for NSW B Haddin was at 6, S Smith was at 7.

So I completely disagree with Howardj again.

howardj

International Coach
It would confuse Smith to bat him at seven

He wants to bat at six

Haddin is a free wheeling player at seven

Woodster

International Captain
Mate, you're right - he definitely needs to improve in one or both disciplines to be a long term player. However, I think as do many folk here in Australia, that he has the raw potential and scope for that improvement.

Time will be the judge, I guess.
I think it just shows where Australia are right now. If they actually planned to persevere with him it would be something, but you get the impression that a bad game here and he may be discarded again for Melbourne. Smith will know that and may find it difficult to perform knowing he has a short time to make an impression.

Woodster

International Captain
It would confuse Smith to bat him at seven

He wants to bat at six

Haddin is a free wheeling player at seven
If that's the case not sure he's ready for Test cricket at all if he's going to be confused by batting at 7. He's a kid that should be honoured to play Test cricket at this stage, he's in no position to suggest he wants to bat in any specific position!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If that's the case not sure he's ready for Test cricket at all if he's going to be confused by batting at 7. He's a kid that should be honoured to play Test cricket at this stage, he's in no position to suggest he wants to bat in any specific position!
AWTA completely.

howardj

International Coach
YOu've got to know your role.

At seven, you feel like a bits and pieces player.

You just do.

Look at Watson.

howardj

International Coach
If there's any time Haddin should have been batting at six, it was when the walking wicket Marcus North was in the team.

howardj

International Coach
YOu've got to know cricketers, and how they feel about batting in certain positions.

Yes, I grant you, Haddin is at the moment the better batsman. This does not mean he should bat at six.

You need to have a feel for the game.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, eight wickets in the just-completed Shield match, and a breezy 48 not out in the 2nd innings. What more do people want from a 21 year old punk! He's going to be a star, Steve Smith.
He may be in time but he certainly isn't ready as a bowler for test cricket yet. Might be the best way to find out though as a few years down the line we still haven't picked Rashid and he has a far better record than Smith.

Woodster

International Captain
I appreciate just because Haddin is the better batsmen he shouldn't necessarily have to bat at six, for the balance of the side in certain circumstances you do have to integrate lesser experienced players into the line-up. It has been said that England believe they get Australia six down, they'll soon be all out, that could become five down if Smith was at seven. So leaving Haddin at seven makes a little sense in that respect. I think Haddin is a very good batsman, and one we are right to be wary of for the rest of this series, and his experience of batting with the tail may be beneficial. But despite all this, still can't help but think there are better options for Australia as a number 6 batsman than Smith.