• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Rant0r

International 12th Man
McDonald I reckon would have been a shot for the number 6 spot if he didn't get injured, the guy has been on fire with the bat this year, then filling in with his dibbly dobblies with Watson, they could pick 2 spinners and carry them a bit. Who exactly those 2 spinners would be...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I would have gone with O'Keefe if they aren't going to go back to Hauritz or Krejza. He looked impressive in the Tour match against England. Hell even Jon Holland. Mind you, they're the selectors, they watch (supposedly) the players all the time, maybe they see something in Beer. Something they thought they seen in Doherty.
And that worked out well.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Is without a doubt the worst Australian selection I've ever seen.

Hell, at least when England selected Pattinson he had a good record.
Awta, totally screwed up it is. The best we can hope now is him staying out as 12th man, which is unlikely tbh.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
And that worked out well.
It's not an exact science, in fact it's more like a chook raffle, I think they're still hoping to pluck out the next Warne who played under half a dozen First Class games when he debuted. Instead of finding a Tim May or a Stuart MacGill. Even a Colin Miller or Greg Matthews would be good, I hear Matthews still plays Grade cricket

Howe_zat

Audio File
Utterly speechless. I have just woken up to discover a bowler with, that I can find, one decent first-class game over his entire career, has just been selected. Stunning.

Beer has an average of nearly 40 and a FC economy of 3.60. Doesn't even keep the runs down. A club cricketer.

Perhaps he's been picked on the basis of his one list A match, in which he took 1/50 from 6 overs?

:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
The selectors MUST step down. They have no idea what they're doing and they're the joke of the cricketing world.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
have to feel a bit sorry for Beer, he could turn out to be a good cricketer, but if he gets picked on this basis and fails, which is likely, he could never get another shot.

Jacknife

International Captain
Beer in the tour game got a few wickets but went at 4.5 rpo in the 1st innings and the went at 6 rpo in the 2nd innings.

social

The selectors MUST step down. They have no idea what they're doing and they're the joke of the cricketing world.
Selectors AND Ponting have to go

If it wasnt before, it should now be obvious to all that some selections/omissions are being made on the basis of politics/favouritism and that is inexcusable

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Utterly speechless. I have just woken up to discover a bowler with, that I can find, one decent first-class game over his entire career, has just been selected. Stunning.

Beer has an average of nearly 40 and a FC economy of 3.60. Doesn't even keep the runs down. A club cricketer.

Perhaps he's been picked on the basis of his one list A match, in which he took 1/50 from 6 overs?

:laugh:
Smith and Hauritz to be fair dont have particularly outstanding FC records either, but NSW played WA at the WACA 2 weeks ago - scorecard.

Beer - 44.4 overs 3/136. 0* and 0* with the bat.

Hauritz - 47 overs 7/104. 13 and 7 with the bat.

They must have heard Warne this time when he suggested that his knowledge of local conditions might help him. Shame they didn't listen when Warne said that Hauritz should be picked in the first test, and indeed in a bet with an Englishman picked Hauritz as the leading wicket taker for the series.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and indeed in a bet with an Englishman picked Hauritz as the leading wicket taker for the series.

Unless there's another bet, this is slightly wrong. Warne picked Hauritz to get more wickets than Finn while Jonathan Agnew took Finn

aussie tragic

International Captain
So 5 players added to the squad with the following FC records this season……

Hughes: 201 runs @ 22.33
Smith: 231 runs @ 31.57 and 12 wkts @ 35.83
Beer: 16 wkts @ 39.93
Johnson: 9 wkts @ 42.55
Hilfenhaus: 7 wkts @ 60.71

Compared to these 8 who missed out…..

Khawaja: 512 runs @ 56.88
D Hussey: 460 runs @ 51.11
Ferguson: 385 runs @ 48.12
Marsh: 359 runs @ 71.80
Hauritz: 222 runs @ 31.71, 14 wickets @ 26.07
Copeland: 24 wkts @ 20.83
Cameron: 23 wkts @ 18.91
O’Keefe: 11 wkts @ 18.45

Might as well ditch the Shield as it doesn't mean anything :ph34r:

Last edited:

social

So 5 players added to the squad with the following FC records this season……

Hughes: 201 runs @ 22.33
Smith: 231 runs @ 31.57 and 12 wkts @ 35.83
Beer: 16 wkts @ 39.93
Johnson: 9 wkts @ 42.55
Hilfenhaus: 7 wkts @ 60.71

Compared to these 7 who missed out…..

Khawaja: 512 runs @ 56.88
D Hussey: 460 runs @ 51.11
Ferguson: 385 runs @ 48.12
Marsh: 359 runs @ 71.80
Copeland: 24 wkts @ 20.83
Cameron: 23 wkts @ 18.91
O’Keefe: 11 wkts @ 18.45

Might as well ditch the Shield as it doesn't mean anything :ph34r:
Hauritz: 222 runs @ 31.71, 14 wickets @ 26.07

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Can see a team in the not too distant future with most of those second group of names in it.

Rogers must be injured is he ?

morgieb

Would it hardly be a shock to see Jack Mac selected for the MCG Test?

I don't think Australian selection policies have ever plunged lower than this. At the time I thought the selection of Casson was the worst. At least he had 1 full season of decent performances. Any spinner in Australia at the moment is in contention for a spot, the fact we are even discussing the return of Warne is frightening.
Ben Taylor tbh.

Spikey

actually we shouldn't joke about that. he's rated highly within the set-up. already got australia a games.