• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What if you genuinely believed it would result in success for the team in the long-run? What if Australia (or anyone) losing a certain series would create such an uproar that it would lead to what you believed were the right policies/players/selections/tactics which would result in your team rising up the rankings?

Ruckus

International Captain
Can't see how this is even a choice. I'd never want the team to lose just to see the back of an individual I don't like. Under no circumstances can losing be a good thing. No two people will probably agree on the optimal team anyway.
It's a hyptothetical dude, it doesn't have to be realistic. Let me clarify what I meant though, because what you and benchmark are saying isn't what I was implying. I meant if you assume the familiar team (with North, Hauritz, Johnson, Siddle, Hilf etc.) is NOT the best team available to Australia (which I think most would agree with), would you rather this team wins the Ashes and remains the primary test team for a long period of time, OR, this team loses the Ashes and changes are made afterwards making it the best team available to Australia (or at least what the majority considers the best team).

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a hyptothetical dude, it doesn't have to be realistic. Let me clarify what I meant though, because what you and benchmark are saying isn't what I was implying. I meant if you assume the familiar team (with North, Hauritz, Johnson, Siddle, Hilf etc.) is NOT the best team available to Australia (which I think most would agree with), would you rather this team wins the Ashes and remains the primary test team for a long period of time, OR, this team loses the Ashes and changes are made afterwards making it the best team available to Australia (or at least what the majority considers the best team).
I don't see the difference between this post and your original.

My response remains the same.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What if you genuinely believed it would result in success for the team in the long-run? What if Australia (or anyone) losing a certain series would create such an uproar that it would lead to what you believed were the right policies/players/selections/tactics which would result in your team rising up the rankings?
Hard to know that though. It's a bit of a stretch to ever say you think losing a series would be good for a team. And as far as Australian/English cricket is concerned, it's almost impossible if that series is the Ashes.

TumTum

Banned
Tbh DeusEx if those are the guys that win you the Ashes, they would have to perform really well. And if they are performing, I have no problem with it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbh DeusEx if those are the guys that win you the Ashes, they would have to perform really well. And if they are performing, I have no problem with it.
You don't need eleven players performing to win the Ashes though. It could happen on the back of Australia's good players really finding their feet and performing at the peak. It could even happen on the back of a couple of random Marcus North hundreds - wouldn't mean North's the best option carrying forward though, would it?

TumTum

Banned
You don't need eleven players performing to win the Ashes though. It could happen on the back of Australia's good players really finding their feet and performing at the peak. It could even happen on the back of a couple of random Marcus North hundreds - wouldn't mean North's the best option carrying forward though, would it?
We are 1-0 behind, for us to win almost everyone has to fire.

Ruckus

International Captain
I guess it could be framed in another way:

Would you prefer this sub-optimal team wins the Ashes, but loses more series' after the Ashes (because they can't maintain the high level of performance), or that this sub-optimal team loses the Ashes, and as such a better team is compiled which wins more series' after the Ashes?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Would you prefer this sub-optimal team wins the Ashes, but loses more series' after the Ashes (because they can't maintain the high level of performance), or that this sub-optimal team loses the Ashes, and as such a better team is compiled which wins more series' after the Ashes?
That's a much better question.

vcs

Nope. Potential future benefit never outweighs the immediate downside to losing a Test series. You could say India benefited by losing early at WC '07 and getting rid of Chappell, but that is only with the advantage of hindsight.

vcs

It is only a guess that the team will do poorly in the long run, it is far likelier that winning the Ashes could potentially galvanize the same players.

Ruckus

International Captain
Nope. Potential future benefit never outweighs the immediate downside to losing a Test series.
That's pretty strange logic though:

Potential future benefit = higher chance you will win more series' in the future.

So e.g. you lose 1 test series, changes are made for the better, then you win another 5 series' in the future vs. you win 1 test series, no changes are made (for the worse), then you only win another 2 future series.

Ruckus

International Captain
It is only a guess that the team will do poorly in the long run, it is far likelier that winning the Ashes could potentially galvanize the same players.
Yeah I guess you could argue that, but I personally don't think that holds much truth. There are limits to how good particular players can be, and I doubt a significant series win (which is purely a psychological boost) would actually change how players perform in the long term.

vcs

That's pretty strange logic though:

Potential future benefit = higher chance you will win more series' in the future.

So e.g. you lose 1 test series, changes are made for the better, then you win another 5 series' in the future vs. you win 1 test series, no changes are made (for the worse), then you only win another 2 future series.
My point is you cannot see that far ahead into the future, and things change very quickly in cricket. Nothing breeds confidence like winning. But yeah, if you were to make it a purely hypothetical A vs. B question, then it's an obvious answer.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh, I don't mind Smith/Hauritz for North/Doherty (would have preferred Usman to smith as a batsmen but anyway) but their crazy keeping on swapping out our two best wicket-taking bowlers (Johnson/Bollinger) yet keep on picking blokes who flatter to deceive (Hilfenhaus in particular)
If only they'd actually take wickets.

Would've probably kept Bollinger in myself, unless he has massive fitness issues, which is possible given the way he bowled in the last match.

It's a very strange decision to say to Johnson last test "you're not good enough", then not play him in the state game, then go "Oh, but now you are again, even if you haven't played since we dropped you".

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes for thousands again...but hope he doesn't and he produces one of those (fast becoming mythical) 'wicket-taking' performances.

Given I thought Hussey was lucky to make the 1st Test and he scored 195, Mitch will probably take 25 wickets this match (5 off no-balls).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If only they'd actually take wickets.

Would've probably kept Bollinger in myself, unless he has massive fitness issues, which is possible given the way he bowled in the last match.

It's a very strange decision to say to Johnson last test "you're not good enough", then not play him in the state game, then go "Oh, but now you are again, even if you haven't played since we dropped you".

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes for thousands again...but hope he doesn't and he produces one of those (fast becoming mythical) 'wicket-taking' performances.

Given I thought Hussey was lucky to make the 1st Test and he scored 195, Mitch will probably take 25 wickets this match (5 off no-balls).
At the same time, it would look pretty strange to drop Johnson for bowling crap in the 1st Test, but retain Bollinger, who bowled worse.