• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm currently debating where to put Khawaja should he come in. Don't want Hussey to move from 4/5, but definitely don't want Clarke at 3 especially if he's captain, and Khawaja debuting at 3 is risky.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It could be a shaky battling line up even more so

Khawaja - debut
Hughes - outta form
Clarke - outta form

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I really do hope Ponting can tough it up and make it out there. While he hasn't been scoring runs, it'll still be a massive blow IMO.

Ruckus

International Captain
I doubt Ponting will be out. Probably hasn't even broken it. I don't think Peter English could have possibly known the extent of the injury at that stage when he wrote that article, otherwise it would have been mentioned.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt Ponting will be out. Probably hasn't even broken it. I don't think Peter English could have possibly known the extent of the injury at that stage when he wrote that article, otherwise it would have been mentioned.
Yeah because the article only mentioned he would be out if it was broken, not that it actually was

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm currently debating where to put Khawaja should he come in. Don't want Hussey to move from 4/5, but definitely don't want Clarke at 3 especially if he's captain, and Khawaja debuting at 3 is risky.
I'd honestly be more confident in Khawaja's ability to bat three on debut than at five or six. He's an opener who bats three for NSW; he's scored all his runs in the top three. It's going to be a step up in pressure and quality regardless of where he bats but he'll feel more at home in a more familiar match situation.

If he's not going to bat three I'd probably pick Dave Hussey ahead of him. We're not talking about picking someone and giving them a proper shot at settling themselves and cementing a spot in the medium term; we're talking picking someone to fill in for two games, do a job and then shift back out. The rules change - experience and short-term form count for a lot more in this situation.

I'd pick Khawaja anyway because I'd back him to perform better in the top three than Dave Hussey but if we're going to hide the replacement at five, Dussey is my man.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah because the article only mentioned he would be out if it was broken, not that it actually was
Even if it's broken, there is a good chance he would still play. Could just be a small fracture. It would be pretty embarrassing for someone as manly as Ponting to come out and say he can't play because he broke his little pinky!

Spark

Global Moderator
Even if it's broken, there is a good chance he would still play. Could just be a small fracture. It would be pretty embarrassing for someone as manly as Ponting to come out and say he can't play because he broke his little pinky!
Did for Graeme Smith.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would be a brave call to move Clarke up to three given the nick he's in; if Hughes plays at the MCG (and fairness suggests he should) he could be in very early doors and hasn't looked great doing it from 4 never mind 3.

Saw a YouTube of Khawaja's ton for NSW v SA in the one dayer and he looks a class act. Never hung around for long enough in the "A" game for me to make any judgements.