• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrats RT Ponting

pasag

RTDAS
150th Test, this Friday. Champion Australian sportsman, all-time great cricketer. Hope he has a few more in him yet.

Ruckus

International Captain
Great things tend to happen to great players on landmarks...so hopefully that trend will continue come Adelaide.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I never want Ricky to retire. The last remaining cricketer from my childhood of watching Australia dominate. 150 Tests, and I can easily wheel out 50 or 60 great innings (today was one of them)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As a "champion Australian sportsman, all-time great cricketer"- Where does he stand next to Border and Waugh?

How would losing 3 Ashes series hurt his legacy?

Spark

Global Moderator
I never want Ricky to retire. The last remaining cricketer from my childhood of watching Australia dominate. 150 Tests, and I can easily wheel out 50 or 60 great innings (today was one of them)
Yep. It's going to be so weird when he retires... was just a shining beacon of brilliance through my early teens.

Gonna be worse when Hussey and Clarke are gone as well. We'll have no one in the side who knows what it feels like to dominate an opposition, just crush them, again and again and again.

---

Ponting >>>>>>> Waugh. Possibly > Border, but it's a tough call given I've never seen Border play live.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
As a "champion Australian sportsman, all-time great cricketer"- Where does he stand next to Border and Waugh?

How would losing 3 Ashes series hurt his legacy?
I don't think he will ever go down as a great captain like Border and Waugh. I think he will always be remembered as a batsman first, and as a captain second. With Border and Waugh, I always consider them the other way around.

I do feel for Ponting, he has captained Australia through a period of dramatic change losing so many great players at once. A very similar situation to Border, but unlike Border, Ponting doesn't have a decade to mould the team into his own image and he has had to battle with his own decline in form with age.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think he will ever go down as a great captain like Border and Waugh. I think he will always be remembered as a batsman first, and as a captain second. With Border and Waugh, I always consider them the other way around.

I do feel for Ponting, he has captained Australia through a period of dramatic change losing so many great players at once. A very similar situation to Border, but unlike Border, Ponting doesn't have a decade to mould the team into his own image and he has had to battle with his own decline in form with age.
Oh I thought he meant as a complete cricketer... in which case, > Waugh but <<<<< Border