• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
From what I've seen, Bell looks a class apart from the rest of the batsmen in this lineup, including Pietersen.
From what I've seen that's basically how he's played his entire career. Still averages just over 40.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So I was watching some cricket on my lunch break and was seeing Johnson and Hilf bowl and thought to myself "they're bowling too short, they should pitch it a metre or two fuller". Lo and behold, Siddle comes on and pitches it in the right area and takes two wickets.

I was not a fan of dropping Bollinger, but Siddle has earned his wage thus far.
The point is - and I made it before the Test - that Bollinger is better than Hilfenhaus, Doherty and arguably Johnson too.

Siddle's a good, Test standard bowler quite capable of performing well but he's probably not amongst Australia's best three quicks and, if he had to play, it shouldn't have been Bollinger to miss out anyway.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The English batsmen have looked very nervous to say the least. Makes you appreciate how hard it must be to win the toss in the first Ashes Test, bat first and end up 350-2 after day 1.

It has proved a good toss to lose as most people predicted.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bell ain't going to die wondering, Doherty might have a chance here or it could be a costly exercise.
I like Doherty's chances here tbh. Bell's not exactly Tendulkar or Clarke when he comes out of the crease, and Doherty looks like he fancies his chances.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Good single, looking forward to watching Bell vs Doherty for a straight over.

Oh, and what's Bollinger's record like in conditions where he has to encourage the batsman to drive? Dougie loves to bang the ball in short of a length, and hates being driven.

pskov

International 12th Man
Bell looking composed and confident.

50 for Cook well played. His lack of scoring shots has allowed the Aussies to pile the pressure on him but he's grown more and more solid as he's stayed at the crease. Vital for him to go on and get three figures now.