• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm more annoyed with the squads being announced early because it means the selectors are putting little pressure on Hussey and North to finally perform...If they even have a chance too beforehand
Yep for sure. It also gives England more time to prepare tactics if do see a surprise selection or two.

So many things in Aus Cricket make so little sense at the moment. ****ing crazy.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Good enough to beat you last time and we have improved since then and you have gone backwards.:p
Difference is you're playing in our backyard.

We haven't gone that far backwards either. The media have just pumped it up. Obviously it'll depend somewhat on the squad (XI) that the selectors choose, but it's a bit of a beat up to suggest that our test team is in shambles. We were two inches away from going one up in India - This discussion wouldn't be happening otherwise.

IMO, once play starts, it'll all click again

It's fortunate somewhat for you blokes that there is so much debate regarding our middle order that the Australian media have largely forgotten the fragility of the English batting and your lack of a strike or leading bowler (unless its a cows meadow for Neo)

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yep for sure. It also gives England more time to prepare tactics if do see a surprise selection or two.

So many things in Aus Cricket make so little sense at the moment. ****ing crazy.
I'll be waiting in anticipation for the squad. Will be absolutely ropeable if Usman isn't included

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach

There is another way of looking at it, if the selectors are gonna pick North & Hussey, then why keep them in the dark for long.
Giving them the time to mentally prepare, for the 1st test, only seems logical.
Even if they are gonna pick a surprise name or two, same logic would apply with them.
In terms of surprising England, its very difficult in this day & age, to pick a player, that the opposition, won't have any info on.
So really no big deal in picking a squad this early, as long as they picking the right people.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I seriously doubt that Australia are likely to ring the changes now, Hauritz and North have already recieved very public backing from the higher-ups. It seems to be policy from both sides to get a "settled" team - whatever that means - before the Ashes, and that the time for experimenting is over.

howardj

International Coach
- announcing the team 10 days out
- split innings cricket in a world cup year
- resting your skipper for five out of six games at the start of the season
- instructing Hussey and Bollinger to stay in India and play T20 rather than prepare for Tests
- clinging onto failed players like North, and not changing the team when you're ranked 5th

I've probably missed a few too.

As Slats said, they're trying to get too fancy.

howardj

International Coach
I think this will be the XI for the Gabba

Katich
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
North
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus

howardj

International Coach
Because Bollinger won't be back from injury, or do you think they prefer Harris?
I think they may err on the side of caution with Doug, given that he broke down in a Test match just recently and that he will not play one FC game before the Test squad is announced next Monday. By contrast, with Harris, he will have one FC game under the belt before next Monday, and I also think they really rate him. He was very good against NZ in his only two Tests (nine wickets @ 23) and 41 wickets @ 16 in ODIs. He has a monster engine, and knows the Gabba well. Apparently Punter also likes him.

howardj

International Coach
I have warmed a bit to Doug though. Not the worst thing, while we're going through some travails, to pick guys like Doug and Rhino - both throw backs to the days of grunt and grind. When you had a beer after stumps and showed up the next day raring to go for your skipper.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Dougeh was playing for NSW this week...

Dougeh.. holds the fate of the Ashes in his hands... Was the best bowler last home Summer, Cook will be his bitch, Strauss too. And the rest. Will take 98 wickets in the 5-0 triumph.

Dougeh!!!

Dougeh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Article is by Dennis Shanahan. It says "Bollinger's omission spells disaster for Labor and Gillard".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Doug is fit, he'll play. No question for mine.
Yeah, howardj names a team before the start of every tour without Bollinger in it for one reason or another. I mean he constantly bangs on about us getting too fancy with our selections and yet he refused to believe that the bloke averaging 23 with the pill has cemented his spot.

howardj

International Coach
On the contrary, as I say, I have warmed to Doug based on his performances. Was always reluctant to read too much into last Summer against Windies and Pakis.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, howardj names a team before the start of every tour without Bollinger in it for one reason or another. I mean he constantly bangs on about us getting too fancy with our selections and yet he refused to believe that the bloke averaging 23 with the pill has cemented his spot.