• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure if its true or not, but Warne mentioned that Ponting hasn't inserted the opposition in to bat since Edgbaston 2005. If we see a jungle of a pitch at the Gabba tomorrow, I wonder what he'd do.
It is true. At that was only the second time Ponting had ever put the opposition in. The only other time was against NZ in Christchurch in March 2005. (Australia won that one).

With Nasser's '02 decision hanging over his head, I doubt Strauss would field first either. If it's a greentop - and I remain sceptical of that - might be a good toss to lose.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very few captains these days seem to put the opposition in TBF. Can't think of too many such occasions in recent times..

tooextracool

International Coach
It would be an even braver call for Strauss to insert after Nasser's mess-up in 2002.
Too much made out of that call to be honest. As Nasser himself mentioned, a different choice would have had little effect on the outcome of the match or the series given that Australia were on a different planet to England in 2002/03.

I think if theres juice in the pitch and it is overcast it should be a simple decision to bowl first. The Australian batters have collapsed fairly frequently against seam and swing lately, not to mention that there are gaping holes in their middle order and this England attack is far more potent in the gloom.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Tbh, my biggest fear is that Oz bat, collapse and that sets the tone for the series
It wouldn't be a bad toss to lose, imho. At least if that happens it'll be on the back of at least something beyond the control of the Aussies.

Just stings all the more when we opt to bat and get rimmed. :dry:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I know he's not meant to be popular, but Draco Malfoy is my favourite character in Harry Potter. A bit like Broad, you're not meant to like him but you can't help it.
You and the whole of the internet, I'm told.

Presumably he'll announce his engagement to Daniel Vettori soon.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
No Show Poms Running Scared

Geez the Courier Mail has gone downhill. This bogan journalist, Ben Dorries, knows full well that England are only doing what Australia did in England in 2009 - attending a single function for the whole tour.

The media is now even trying to dumb down cricket, it seems
"You lot are copying us, you've got Vodafone as your sponsor, you picked 17 in your squad for the first Test and you are losing games. That is everything that England used to do," Hussain chuckled.
:lol:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best of luck to both teams! Will be tuning in in about 8 hours time when I wake up, hope things are nicely poised.

Faisal1985

Another 5 hours to go before the start...wonder if the players can sleep the night before..its big for us, but even bigger for them...especially the Poms.

Faisal1985

I don't think you'll ever appreciate just how much I'm looking forward to this.

You're going to get eviscerated. No quarter. No mercy. And that's just by your tabloids.

We're going to royally pwn your good-for-nothing soap-dodging, toothpaste-avoiding, nudge-and-nurdling, WAG-hopping, ladyboy-impersonating, skunk-styling, Shermanating, pedalo-riding, Murray Minting, colony-seizing, Scotland-annexing, Thatcher-electing, Simon-Benson-watching, Wimbledon-failing, Warne-hating, McGrath-hating, Sky-commenting, Bodyline-bowling, Bodyline-as-leg-theory-distorting, Hick-mishandling, Flintoff-venerating, Harry Potter-spruiking, Fleet-Street-hyperbolising, royalty-stalking, chav-culture-creating pillocks back to the Golden Age of cricket. Where Billy Murdoch and Victor Trumper will continue the work of decimating you, only more attractively.

There is no greater feeling than to crush your bowlers, drive them to the boundary before us, and to hear the lamentations of your WAGS.

Like a child playing keep-away, the mother country will collapse into sobs as they realise that what was not rightfully theirs is taken away and returned home, and that their perverse game is no longer. And your Limey tears will be the sweetest of candies.
This is SOME bad blood....

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm forcing myself to have an early night as I know if I stay up until 10-10:30 I'll stay up and follow it on my phone on Cricinfo and I really can't afford to do that tonight.