Page 71 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1942

Thread: *Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

  1. #1051
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    So, any chance of O'Keefe for the first Ashes test? Bag of wickets in the shield game, was backup spinner in the Pak tests in Eng, kinda like the idea of a left arm off spinner in our team.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

  2. #1052
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    So, any chance of O'Keefe for the first Ashes test? Bag of wickets in the shield game, was backup spinner in the Pak tests in Eng, kinda like the idea of a left arm off spinner in our team.
    Wicets againts the joke S Australia batting line-up isn't much of a guide. Based on what i saw of him in ENG looks like an another Hauritz failure waiting to happen.

    Has to be an all-pace attack starting in Brisbane. But of course i wont be holding my breath with these dumb selectors.

  3. #1053
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Wicets againts the joke S Australia batting line-up isn't much of a guide. Based on what i saw of him in ENG looks like an another Hauritz failure waiting to happen.

    Has to be an all-pace attack starting in Brisbane. But of course i wont be holding my breath with these dumb selectors.
    Siddle for the gabba?

  4. #1054
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Siddle for the gabba?
    Depends on his form for Victoria between now & the 1st test really. Preferably i'd go for Harris, but he is still injured & needs to come back quick.


  5. #1055
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Depends on his form for Victoria between now & the 1st test really. Preferably i'd go for Harris, but he is still injured & needs to come back quick.
    It's possible they might retain George and swap dougie for horrie

  6. #1056
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    It's possible they might retain George and swap dougie for horrie
    Ye thats possible & i can tolerate such a selection, since George looks well suited to bowling on the tradition fairly bouncy Gabba wicket.

  7. #1057
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    How do people see Ponting going against Swann? I think it could be a great contest, considering how well Ponting played spin in India, but Swann is in great form himself, the world's most threatening spinner ATM and never short of confidence.
    Swann was averaging mid-40s in the last Ashes series until he benefitted from a dust-bowl in the last test and it would surprise me to see the same heading into the last test in Sydney

    Australia is an incredibly difficult place to bowl finger spin (check out Murali and Harby's records there) and the Aussies like that style of bowling

  8. #1058
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,182
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Swann was averaging mid-40s in the last Ashes series until he benefitted from a dust-bowl in the last test and it would surprise me to see the same heading into the last test in Sydney

    Australia is an incredibly difficult place to bowl finger spin (check out Murali and Harby's records there) and the Aussies like that style of bowling
    Still averaged in the 40s over the series.

    Wouldn't be surprised to see him take a 5 wicket haul or two, but it would be an almighty effort to take one for less than 100 runs.

  9. #1059
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Can't do any worse than Giles did in Australia last time.

  10. #1060
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,182
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Still averaged in the 40s over the series.

    Wouldn't be surprised to see him take a 5 wicket haul or two, but it would be an almighty effort to take one for less than 100 runs.
    To put that into context, in the 2000s, here is the list of 5 wicket hauls taken by spinners:

    • 2010: Danish Kaneria - 5/151
    • 2009: Suliemann Benn - 5/155
    • 2007: Anil Kumble - 5/84
    • 2006: Monty Panesar - 5/92
    • 2005: Danish Kaneria - 7/188
    • 2004: Danish Kaneria - 5/125
    • 2004: Daniel Vettori - 5/152
    • 2004: Upul Chandana - 5/101
    • 2004: Upul Chandana - 5/109
    • 2004: Anil Kumble - 8/141
    • 2003: Anil Kumble - 6/176
    • 2003: Anil Kumble - 5/154
    • 2003: Ray Price - 6/121
    • 2001: Daniel Vettori - 5/138
    • 2001: Daniel Vettori - 6/87

    Have bolded the ones that are at an average of less than 20. No right arm offspinners amongst them, for the record.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 13-10-2010 at 09:52 PM.

  11. #1061
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Kumble was such a machine for us in the 2003-04 tour. Could have won in Sydney if he had better support.

  12. #1062
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Kumble was such a machine for us in the 2003-04 tour. Could have won in Sydney if he had better support.
    Wouldve won if India didnt bat the first innings into the 3rd day. Studpidity. I couldnt believe he was going for 700. Turned out those couple of hours were exactly what India needed on day 5 to finish us off. Oh well. Maybe he was being kind to Mr Waugh?

  13. #1063
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    I honestly don't think one or two extra hours on day 5 would have made any difference, India just didn't have enough firepower bar Kumble to bowl out that Aussie lineup twice on that wicket.

  14. #1064
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I honestly don't think one or two extra hours on day 5 would have made any difference, India just didn't have enough firepower bar Kumble to bowl out that Aussie lineup twice on that wicket.
    They didnt help their cause by batting so long though.

  15. #1065
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    They didnt help their cause by batting so long though.
    There was actually a chance of losing on the last day even with the huge cushion of runs they had. India were taking wickets only through scoreboard pressure and Kumble's persistence, there really wasn't much else.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Ashes to return to free-to-air TV
    By four_or_six in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 10:11 AM
  2. Ashes Coming Home
    By SurreyFan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-09-2009, 05:41 AM
  3. Herald Sun's Top 50 Ashes Legends
    By The Sean in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  4. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •