• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why isn't Ryan Sidebottom in the team?

Inferiority

Banned
I seriously cannot comprehend this, he is a far better bowler than either Broad or Anderson with swing available. He is very accurate and is capable of strangling the opposition similar to that of Clark. There is no English bowler in the current team that possesses his consistent line and length, even Flintoff. Anderson and Onions are pie chuckers when there is no swing available, at least this bowler has a mental strength to keep his cool under such circumstances like the lead that Australia were building in the last test. Only passionate English fans who have watched him play would understand this. The only way they have any chance of winning the next test if England make changes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would be quite surprised TBH if Sidebottom was in the team for The Oval and would also be quite surprised if there was much in the Oval deck for seamers.

If he did and there was, however, I'd be very pleased.

huxleypig

Cricket Spectator
I so agree with this. I'd have put him in instead of Anderson but when Onions got picked in front of him?

Onions might've done well but I'd still have Sidebottom in anyday.

FBU

International Debutant
Well they have bowled roughly the same amount of overs though Anderson's figures include 6 Tests.

269.3 overs 39 wickets at 20.79 econ 3.00 s/r 41.4 - Anderson
260.2 overs 31 wickets at 24.51 econ 2.91 s/r 50.3 - Sidebottom

inbox24

International Debutant
Sidebottom's probably the best left arm pace bowler in the world, he just needs more match practice and he'll be ready to trouble us and tear up lesser sides.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Alot of this I agree with, I would drop Harmison or Anderson for Sidebottom.
Anyone else automatically figure out that this poster is French without checking the location? Wondering whether poor opinions are genetic or picked up from something in the waterover there. Leaning towards the latter - goughy knows the score, and he got out a while ago. Coincidence?

huxleypig

Cricket Spectator
I'd have picked Sidebottom ahead of Anderson or Onions cos for me he is more consistent. All 3 regularly swing the ball both ways but Sidebottom doesn't have nearly as many off days as Anderson. Onions hasn't played enough for me to decide on him really.

Pigeon

Banned
Excellent. That pic sums up why Johnson will NEVER finish his career as a great, but perhaps "What if". His seam position reminds one of the great Ajit Agarkar. His effectiveness will be limited to the period he will be 100% fit and capable of hurling down speeds of 145+ on consistent basis. But with such an action, I am waiting for the inevitable injury to happen.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The three preceding that shows it's more of an exception than rule.
The three previous Test series' suggested his bowling in those first two Tests were more exception than rule, tbh.

Anyway, no-one can predict where he's going to go but if there's one thing about his bowling in the past year that stands out, it's that he's done the business for Aus on everything from the flattest decks to the swingiest green tops. Pretty rare a bowler can take wickets in such varied conditions and not have a decent career.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excellent. That pic sums up why Johnson will NEVER finish his career as a great, but perhaps "What if". His seam position reminds one of the great Ajit Agarkar. His effectiveness will be limited to the period he will be 100% fit and capable of hurling down speeds of 145+ on consistent basis. But with such an action, I am waiting for the inevitable injury to happen.
Yeah, one still photo of a bloke. Definitely enough to judge his bowling.