Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: England will not win the Ashes

  1. #16
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,402
    cop out
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  2. #17
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If one person makes one prediction in a two-horse race and another makes a different one, each has a 50\50 chance of being right.
    It isn't a two horse race. The possibility of a draw makes it a three horse race. Now **** off.

  3. #18
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If one person makes one prediction in a two-horse race and another makes a different one, each has a 50\50 chance of being right.





    Just saying.
    Not really. It's not that simple. What if one of the horses gets a 75 yard head start, or has three broken legs?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  4. #19
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    It isn't a two horse race. The possibility of a draw makes it a three horse race. Now **** off.
    To be fair, Goughy didn't say "England will lose the Ashes" - he said they won't win. So it is, in fact, a two-horse race... win=true or win=false.


  5. #20
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If one person makes one prediction in a two-horse race and another makes a different one, each has a 50\50 chance of being right.





    Just saying.
    Errm. Not sure it quite works like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  6. #21
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If one person makes one prediction in a two-horse race and another makes a different one, each has a 50\50 chance of being right.





    Just saying.
    So if I have a 100m race with Usain Bolt, and you predict that I will win, and someone else predicts that Usain ****ing Bolt will win, you think that half the time, I will win?
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  7. #22
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    No. I predict that at the commencement of each race, the chance is 50\50. Because there is an equal chance that he will slip and fall in every case as there is in every other.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  8. #23
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #teamAthlai
    Posts
    28,186
    lol

    There really isn't.
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  9. #24
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No. I predict that at the commencement of each race, the chance is 50\50. Because there is an equal chance that he will slip and fall in every case as there is in every other.
    The probability of slipping and falling would be taken into account in the total number of times a runner can run the race. You can't get out of this one. You are WRONG WRONG WRONG.

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No. I predict that at the commencement of each race, the chance is 50\50. Because there is an equal chance that he will slip and fall in every case as there is in every other.
    That's not what 50/50 means. That just means that there is a chance that I could win, and that that chance is equal every time. (ie. we're treating each race as an independent event).

  11. #26
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    The probability of slipping and falling would be taken into account in the total number of times a runner can run the race. You can't get out of this one. You are WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    Don't worry mate, he certainly would, he always does...

  12. #27
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If one person makes one prediction in a two-horse race and another makes a different one, each has a 50\50 chance of being right.
    You obviously can't be saying what we think you're saying, because what we think you're saying just can't be right (see Jameee's Usain Bolt post). So what are you saying?

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,234
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    You obviously can't be saying what we think you're saying, because what we think you're saying just can't be right (see Jameee's Usain Bolt post). So what are you saying?
    I had a friend from Ghana that thought the exact same. If there are two posibilities then it is a 50/50 shot as only one of two things can happen.

    It was wrong then and it is clearly, obviously and blindly wrong still.

    Type of logic is flawed to say the least.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No. I predict that at the commencement of each race, the chance is 50\50. Because there is an equal chance that he will slip and fall in every case as there is in every other.
    If Bolt fell then he would get up and still beat you by 10 meters.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    If Bolt fell then he would get up and still beat you by 10 meters.
    Not if he broke his leg.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Women's Ashes (+ One Day Series)
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 04:14 PM
  2. Why My Country Will Win The Ashes
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 02:22 PM
  3. Oldest Test Team?
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •