• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen may miss Ashes

Jakester1288

International Regular
England are worried that key top order batsman Kevin Pietersen may struggle to be fit for this season's Ashes.

The ex-England captain was ruled out shortly before the start of the side's humbling four-wicket loss to the Netherlands in Friday's opening match of the ICC World Twenty20 at Lord's with a recurrence of the injury he first sustained in the Caribbean earlier this year.

Pietersen has undergone an injection in a bid to make sure the South Africa born shotmaker is fit for England's match against Pakistan at the Oval on Sunday - a game they effectively have to win if they are to get through to the Super Eight second stage of the World Twenty20.

But England coach Andy Flower believes Pietersen may need several months rest to regain full fitness - and if that is the case he would miss the first Ashes opener in Cardiff starting on July 8 and possibly the entire Test series as well.

"They are terrible injuries," said former Zimbabwe batsman Flower.

"I had an Achilles problem for about five years when I was playing and they are very difficult to get rid of.

"They can hang around for a long time and with our schedule you don't get huge chunks of time off. I think you need months off to get rid of those sort of problems altogether."

England are currently without all-rounder Andrew Flintoff - like Pietersen one of the stars of their 2005 home Ashes series win - and the loss of another key player would be a major blow.

Flower stressed he'd been given the all-clear to play Pietersen, saying he would have withdrawn him had that been the opinion of team medics.

"Leading up to this tournament, I specifically asked for the medical advice on that because if it had suggested we rest him during this period leading up to five Test matches against Australia, we would have done so," said Flower.

"The medical advice was that we didn't need to do that and they could manage it through a Twenty20 tournament, but I don't necessarily think that advice was wrong because these injuries are very difficult to manage and having a three-week rest might not necessarily do the business."

Meanwhile Flower said he believed fast bowler Stuart Broad had the strength of character to bounce back from his nightmare display against the Dutch.

Broad dropped a return catch and missed three run-out opportunities in a last over where the Dutch won with a two off the final ball following the bowler's wayward shy at the stumps.

"I won't need to do much to pick Stuart Broad up," said Flower.

"He's a strong man and he'll pick himself up.

"He had a few chances at the start of the over with one catch and two run-outs and then he had another run-out chance at the end, but Stuart is brilliant under pressure.

"For a young man I think he's been an outstanding international cricketer when he bats, when he fields, when he bowls."
Pietersen may miss Ashes - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

Would be massive if he missed the Ashes. England's hopes rely on him with Flintoff to perform, they need him.

I don't know how likely this is to happen. Obviously he will most probably play, but there is that chance he wont.

pasag

RTDAS
God hope not, he's the only batsman in the English side that I enjoy watching now that Vaughan's gone.

Pringle

Cricket Spectator
I suppose there is the possibility that the ECB think that it's important for England to progress in the Twenty20, considering that it's being held here. However, I don't think that many fans give a monkeys about it, with the Ashes on the horizon.

stumpski

International Captain
Sweet! Increases Australia's chances of winning for sure.
Surprised at this comment. Would you not prefer to beat a full strength England team?

For the last four years we've had you lot bleating that the only reason we won two Tests in 2005 was that McGrath missed both games; why would you want to hand us the same excuse?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised at this comment. Would you not prefer to beat a full strength England team?

For the last four years we've had you lot bleating that the only reason we won two Tests in 2005 was that McGrath missed both games; why would you want to hand us the same excuse?
Well, it was clearly a factor. That and the mints, obviously.

But you're right of course. There would no doubt be a National Day of Mourning in England if Ponting was ruled out of the Ashes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Indeed. Where else are we going to get our chuckles from as everything goes wrong for them? :ph34r:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If Pietersen does get ruled out, I'll be straight onto the NZ TAB site to back the Aussies for a series win.