Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Road to the 2009 Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Adams was just noted for his defensiveness, really. He could certainly bat, though, and it was generally considered very tough for spinners to get him out. Not as good against spin as Lara (or Chanderpaul) of course, but his wicket wasn't one a spinner would particularly fancy their chances of getting.
    Even during the second half of his career?

True, I guess. He's been woeful of late, but he actually started-off OK.
    Well, he did look very promising when he toured Australia in 2005.

Nah, of course all slow bowlers try to turn the ball, but sometimes they can't spin it enough to do so.
    Yeah, you're right, I suppose. If they can impart some revolutions, though, it would still be distinct from 'Right Arm Slow' bowling. IMO, the arm ball would be the spinner's equivalent to a non-deviating 'Right Arm Slow' delivery.

The point is that weakness against a spinner who wasn't turning the ball would simply be weakness against the ball bowled at 50mph, which would be odd TSTL.
    Assuming that there are no revolutions on the ball, wouldn't it demonstrate a weakness against the arm ball, as I opined above?

First, Second, Third Tests in West Indies, Third and Fourth Tests in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Next year, can we have some new English commentators?

I mean, we get these posters from overseas telling us how dire Healy, Lawry et al are over here, but fair dinkum, Gower and even Lloyd are cures for insomnia. Their routine with each other is as tired as I feel after year's work, while Botham and Hussain are as impartial as one of those coaches of 6 year old soccer teams whose own kid gets man of the match each week.
    All opinion of course, but I'd have some new talent with Athers and Holding, and limit Lloyd to just telling some self-deprecating tale at lunch (which is what he spends all day doing now anyway as he seems to think we turn a test match on to hear him talk about getting hit inthe cobblers by Thommo again), and throw subtitles on for him, coz his accent is that thick you canna understand a word the blighter says.
    Botham should ditch commentary and put on a short skirt and pom poms, he's that much a cheer leader for England (and he's entitled to be, my point is it detracts from his commentary imo, and there can't be much doubt the bloke knows his cricket), and Nasser just strikes me as someone who's still bitter he never got to skipper the side until 05 and have a crack at winning the Ashes.
    Yes Bumble, you were good for a giggle, but I fear that like skull over here, it's all getting a bit tired.
    Only saw this because of the awards thread. Congrats but I couldn't disagree more, the Sky team are by far the best in the world. Gower, Lloyd, Hussain and Atherton as a group are a treat to listen to and one of the real highlights of watching cricket in England, for me anyways.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    the Sky team are by far the best in the world.
    I've not watched much cricket away from England but if what you say is true then there must be some shockingly dire commentary teams in the rest of the world.

The Sky team is dominated by Botham who casts a long shadow over the commentary. It's all about being "mates with Beefy". Proper analysis and insight are invariably lacking (with the occasional exception of Hussain).

The overall standard is desperately poor and Sky provides a terribly graphic example of why former star players often make low-grade commentators. Take Gower and Botham: both were wonderful, richly talented players but as commentators rarely impart any knowledge or insight to their viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I've not watched much cricket away from England but if what you say is true then there must be some shockingly dire commentary teams in the rest of the world.

The Sky team is dominated by Botham who casts a long shadow over the commentary. It's all about being "mates with Beefy". Proper analysis and insight are invariably lacking (with the occasional exception of Hussain).

The overall standard is desperately poor and Sky provides a terribly graphic example of why former star players often make low-grade commentators. Take Gower and Botham: both were wonderful, richly talented players but as commentators rarely impart any knowledge or insight to their viewers.
    Gower is a top presenter and gives the whole thing some serious class. I agree though Botham isn't great and cricket needs broadcasters and trained TV men before ex-sports stars.

Here's a good article from Osman Samiuddin on it - http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magaz...ry/354158.html

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    Even during the second half of his career?
    Yeah, even so. I'm not entirely sure of exact data, but I'd bet there weren't all that many spinners who dismissed him very often.

Easy enough to have a look, mind.
    Assuming that there are no revolutions on the ball, wouldn't it demonstrate a weakness against the arm ball, as I opined above?
    A weakness against the arm-ball, for mine, is basically the inability to pick it as distinct from the ball that turns. If the ball isn't turning and the batsmen are still having problems, it's (for mine) simply weakness against the ball bowled slowly. If the stock-ball is turning and the arm-ball (the variation that doesn't) is causing problems, then that'd be more like it.

As I said - West Indies, in the Lord's Test at least, simply couldn't play the ball which didn't turn. It wasn't like they were failing to pick the arm-ball - they simply kept playing for turn which was never there.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Gower is a top presenter and gives the whole thing some serious class. I agree though Botham isn't great and cricket needs broadcasters and trained TV men before ex-sports stars.

Here's a good article from Osman Samiuddin on it - http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magaz...ry/354158.html
    Haha, good lord.

Thank god I don't like Twenty20, else I'd be outraged at some of the stuff that was apparently being done in the IPL.

Gower is a top presenter and gives the whole thing some serious class.
    I know that quite a lot of people think this but I just can't see it myself.

I find his interviews shallow and bland. Once you pick up on his irritating habits he can be seriously irritating. Here's a few:

- saying "indeed" after everything his interviewee has said;
    - saying "again" when introducing each point he's trying to make;
    - losing his thread so that most of his arguments are only half-made;
    - failing to press on with an interview or discussion just when it's about to get interesting;
    - saying "GARN" all the time (he means "gone").

For me, the pity is that he was such a great player that you imagine he must have a huge amount of knowledge to pass on. But he doesn't.

In fairness, though, I suppose he's better than Peter West and less irritating than Mark Nicholas.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I know that quite a lot of people think this but I just can't see it myself.

I find his interviews shallow and bland. Once you pick up on his irritating habits he can be seriously irritating. Here's a few:

- saying "indeed" after everything his interviewee has said;
    - saying "again" when introducing each point he's trying to make;
    - losing his thread so that most of his arguments are only half-made;
    - failing to press on with an interview or discussion just when it's about to get interesting;
    - saying "GARN" all the time (he means "gone").

For me, the pity is that he was such a great player that you imagine he must have a huge amount of knowledge to pass on. But he doesn't.

In fairness, though, I suppose he's better than Peter West and less irritating than Mark Nicholas.
    Honestly though, these are tiny, tiny things compared to the crap that goes in cricket commentating these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah, even so. I'm not entirely sure of exact data, but I'd bet there weren't all that many spinners who dismissed him very often.

Easy enough to have a look, mind.
    You're right; pacemen seemed to have a greater hold on him than spinners (over his whole career, not just the second half).

A weakness against the arm-ball, for mine, is basically the inability to pick it as distinct from the ball that turns. If the ball isn't turning and the batsmen are still having problems, it's (for mine) simply weakness against the ball bowled slowly.
    The thing is though, from experience, the arm ball tends to go straight on with the arm. If you impart any revoultions on the ball, it is unlikely to do so by as much. It's not like every delivery, on a non-turner, is like an arm ball.

As I said - West Indies, in the Lord's Test at least, simply couldn't play the ball which didn't turn. It wasn't like they were failing to pick the arm-ball - they simply kept playing for turn which was never there.
    It seems that I'm not the only person that disagrees with you on that count.

Andrew McGlashan makes reference to his use of the arm ball when tricking the West Indian batsmen.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, BTW. I just didn't see your response.

I agree though Botham isn't great
    You don't say.. I'd rather have my dog commentating than Beefy

...On the subject of commentators though how many times does Nasser Hussein say..

''Bowled him!.. full, and straight...''

He seems to say it every time a wicket falls!!...

Even when it's caught at fine leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    The thing is though, from experience, the arm ball tends to go straight on with the arm. If you impart any revoultions on the ball, it is unlikely to do so by as much. It's not like every delivery, on a non-turner, is like an arm ball.
    True. But the difference is minimal. If a fullish ball goes from turning 10 degrees to turning 0 degrees, it will still hit fairly comfortably on the face of the bat provided the correct line is played.
    It seems that I'm not the only person that disagrees with you on that count.

Andrew McGlashan makes reference to his use of the arm ball when tricking the West Indian batsmen.
    No, you're right, I've heard people say what you're saying before. TBH, I think many people are just seeking to give credit where it's not due - the "see the figures in the scorebook and try to find a way to justify why the player deserved them" effect. (Note: not everyone is of this nature)

MSP simply virtually never turned a ball that game. I lost count of the number of batsmen who were hit on the pads (not always given out BTW) that game by playing the break ball for turn, which just wasn't there. I'm not sure McGlashan isn't just imagining arm-balls because that way he can give MSP the credit which, frankly, most people want to give him, because he's so popular.
    Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, BTW. I just didn't see your response.
    NP.

International Coach

Gower and Botham are two peas in a pod. Neither particularly enjoys watching cricket but it's the only thing they can do to earn a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Gower and Botham are two peas in a pod. Neither particularly enjoys watching cricket but it's the only thing they can do to earn a living.
    You have put your finger on it.

During the last Test Botham was asked by one of his simpering lackeys (Hussain I think) - "So Beefy, have you watched more cricket or golf during this match?". "Golf, definitely" was Botham's proud reply. Well thanks a buch, Beefy, you utter cretin, for caring so much about the match which we've paid to watch, and which you've been paid to analyse.

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information