• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giles returns home

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ashley Giles is out of the tour it seems, his wife has a "potentially serious illness"

No matter what you think of his cricketing abilities (and I do feel he cops a bit too much criticism) - this is a terrible thing for anyone.

Just hope she gets better.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, a great guy. His reaction to Monty's five-fer was all class, especially compared to Fletcher next to him.

Wish him the best.

PY

International Coach
Best wishes to Gilo, no-one could wish them anything but the best and a complete recovery from whatever it is.

Perspective regained.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Real shame to hear this. Best of luck to Ash and his wife, as much as his cricketing prowess has been in doubt recently he's one of the best blokes in cricket. Feel so bad for him. :(

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Total respect to Giles at the moment. To be fair, I don't really care how good he is/n't, just all the best to him and his wife.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Man i hated giles for some reason since the last ashes, but really i feel so bad for him, the guy tries hard and just hasnt been able to produce results, theres too much pressure on him and it muse be really tough, and this illness thing jus makes it that much worse

i hope him the best

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let's all just hope she makes a full recovery from whatever it is that ails her.

I think it's obvious that Ash isn't from the first rank of spinners (as I'm sure he himelf would say), but he has performed usefully for us over the years & strikes one as a genuinely nice bloke who works very hard at his cricket & fitness. Regardless of whether one thinks he should've played in the first test it was a great effort from him just to recover from his hip problems.

pasag

RTDAS
Despite the fact Giles would not have been selected for any more tests(probably) he was a real valuable member to have around the team imo and England will miss him quite alot.

Hope everything goes well for him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
pasag said:
Despite the fact Giles would not have been selected for any more tests(probably) he was a real valuable member to have around the team imo and England will miss him quite alot.

Hope everything goes well for him.
Reckon he'd have got a go in Sydney at least. Fred obviously doesn't seem to trust and/or rate Mahmood much given by how little he was used in the match, so he may've even had a chance at Melbourne too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Latest is she's got a brain tumour. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if he retired to be honest - at his age and with his fitness issues, it may be better to concentrate on the family.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Latest is she's got a brain tumour. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if he retired to be honest - at his age and with his fitness issues, it may be better to concentrate on the family.
Let's hope that's just a rumour. :(

WRT his retirement I'd agree. I remember reading somewhere his dad had to have two hip replacements by the age of sixty & he has a young family I'm sure he wants to be able to enjoy properly.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea thats bad news for big Gilo, hopefully things get better for his wife. Would hate to see him retire so sudden.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope his wife is going to be alright, he seems like a fairly genuine bloke.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still a better allrounder than Flintoff in International Cricket Captain.

Hope all goes well for him.