• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can McGrath and Warne cope with back-to-back tests?

garypratt

Cricket Spectator
Both are really getting on and I think will struggle with back-to-bak tests. In England last year Warne was absolutely knackered and out on his feet in a couple of games after marathon bowling spells and it will be hotter in Aus. McGrath is also going to have a big workload if they only play 4 bowlers.

Josh

International Regular
Warne seems to have pulled up well after bowling 40+ overs for Victoria last week. I really don't think it will trouble him too much.

We've seen McGrath's spells dwindle in length over the last couple of years anyway, I expect Lee and "the third seamer" to take the heavy workload; which is why "the third seamer's" selection is so crucial, and probably should be someone young (i.e. NOT Clark)

Josh

International Regular
On the other hand, Clark IS more experienced, but could his body handle the workload that will be required of him??

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
On the other hand, Clark IS more experienced, but could his body handle the workload that will be required of him??
Clark is in the peak of his career, so if any of the three bowlers can handle it, it would be him. Especially compared to Tait, who is a bowler who visibly declines towards the end of each spell, even after 4 or 5 overs. McGrath bowled 10 overs on the trot in Indian conditions recently, so I don't see why he can't bowl lengthy spells if he's bowling well. Obviously he'll get taken out of the attack a bit quicker if he's going for runs, but I'd be more worried about any of the other seamers declining as their spells continue than Clark or McGrath.

Anyway, the back-to-back test thing isn't especially significant. It's part of modern test cricket, and Warne certainly handled it fine in England last year and bowled well in every test. It will take its toll over the course of the series, but they are both bowlers with good endurance and fairly economical bowling styles, so it's not high up in the list of concerns.

garypratt

Cricket Spectator
It's not so much the 10 overs in isolation but rather the lack of rest of the series as a whole that will take their toll on McGrath in particular. I wouldn't be surprised to seem him miss one test with a fatigue related injury.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Josh said:
Warne seems to have pulled up well after bowling 40+ overs for Victoria last week.
How can you judge that exactly since he's not played since that game?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They've both been bowling long spells in back-to-back tests for over 10 years. They're both getting on, no doubt about it. They will cope.

I'd be as worried or even more worried from an England point of view by Flintoff's workload as batsman, strike bowler and captain. Notwithstanding that they have 4 quicks, he's still their go-to guy, especially if Harmison doesn't fire up.

howardj

International Coach
Voltman said:
I believe there's some serious straw-clutching on the part of this thread author.
From an Aussie point of view, McGrath and Warne being able to back up throughout the Series is probably the part that concerns me the most. I would bet my life's savings on McGrath not playing all 5 Test matches. And, depending on how our other bowlers fare, Warne may have to carry a huge load this Summer, in quite a condensed Series.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My concern isn't so much about a McGrath or Warne missing a Test match, but more about them not being completely right because of the short turn-around time between all the Tests.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think they can do it, people & the media seem to be getting carried away by the fact that because they are old they might struggle when in the fact they are extremely fit blokes. So for me once they don't suffer any external injuries during the Ashes they should get through all 5 test fairly ok.

shortpitched713

International Captain
howardj said:
I would bet my life's savings on McGrath not playing all 5 Test matches.
He steps on a cricket ball one summer and all of a sudden hes a fitness liability? McGrath has the best fitness record out of all fast bowlers in the modern era. There are some pretty good reasons why he won't be as effective as he has been, but for me fitness isn't one of them.

Personally, I'd take Johnson for the first Test. He can bowl longer spells than Tait, and he has more bite than Clark. Plus he's a lefty too.

Laurrz

International Debutant
. I would bet my life's savings on McGrath not playing all 5 Test matches..[/QUOTE]
will remember this statment ;)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
shortpitched713 said:
He steps on a cricket ball one summer and all of a sudden hes a fitness liability? McGrath has the best fitness record out of all fast bowlers in the modern era. There are some pretty good reasons why he won't be as effective as he has been, but for me fitness isn't one of them.

Personally, I'd take Johnson for the first Test. He can bowl longer spells than Tait, and he has more bite than Clark. Plus he's a lefty too.
He missed the 4th Test with a different injury, though

PY

International Coach
Hmm, I was under the impression that the elbow injury came from him trying too hard to make up for the trouble his ankle was giving him in his runup during the 3rd Test though and putting extra strain on it which it didn't like.