• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

pasag

RTDAS
Craig said:
What about Hayden's drop? Mark Waugh would have taken that whilst having a punt at the races (or now being investigated by ASIC :mellow: ).
Indeed, was a shocker, followed it up with some brilliant fielding, but that was akin to thinking of a good comeback a minute after the person who insults you leaves (thanks to someones sig for that one)

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a day!!!

Warne is simply adding to his legend. Who else could pull out as good a 5-fer as he in their last game on their Home Ground. McGrath was unlucky to only get 1, he bowled magnificently again, but as harsh as it may seem, he is really showing that he is starting lack penetration, all the same, it was a fine performance of medium fast bowling.

Clark & Lee both bowled well imo. Lee bowled 2 of his best spells this series, and provided us with the initial break-through, and then the collingwood wicket, which imo was the turning point of the innings.

Gilly's keeping was a tad ordinary today. How he missed that stumping i'll never know, the same with that catch. I noticed he also went the wrong way initially to a number of deliveries from the seamers. I was shocked to see Haydos drop such a sitter. He's usually got the safest pair of Hands in the team, and that was truly a sitter. Thankfully it didn't come back to bite us in the end.

On the subject of Rudi's umpiring... aside from 2 good calls to Symonds, and the Bell LBW, he was horrible. Colly was Plumb when he was still on 0, as was Hayden twice to Hoggard. He seems to be mixing some quite brilliant decision, to some extremely ordinary ones.

I'm expecting Ponting to score big tomorrow, and by big, i mean 160+. The weather will play a big part in tomorrows play though. If the sun shines for half the day, the english bowlers are in trouble, as the last thing they want is the pitch drying out. However, if the cloud cover stays around, it'll be interesting to see if they can make use of the bowler friendly conditions as well as the Australian attack did.

Another Amazing day of Australian Cricket it was :)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Good stuff pasag. Pics came out pretty well I think, especially considering the zoom.

howardj

International Coach
Absolute class from Warne today. In terms of performance matching expectation, it was right up there with Ponting's 1st innings at the Gabba. Sheer force of will.

Matt79

Global Moderator
pasag said:
Removed photos for the sake of the rest of us scrolling
Nice pics - I think I'm in the crowd in the background with my brothers - from the looks of it you were exactly opposite me!

My brother took some really great photos today (he's a camera nut and has some serious gear) which he's going to burn onto CD for me, so I'll post them when I can.

EDIT: thanks for the edit neil - wasn't thinking! ;)

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
arrgh- just did a really long post on my day at the cricket and it disappeared when I tried to post it and now I'll have to retype it all. :mad: :@

Abbrievated version (the original was four full length paras)
Great day, bad toss for Fred to win

Highlights:
Warne's 700
Warne's 5
seeing McGrath and Warne bowl one last time in the flesh
Seeing Warne and Boony having a chat before the start of the match, and Warney giving a clearly surprised Boon a big bear hug!

Lowlights:
bad fielding by the aussies - Symonds excluded. Messrs Clarke, and Lee (missed run-outs), Hayden (dropped catch), and Gilchrist (dropped catch and horribly blown stumping), I'm looking at you.

Overall: great day - crowd was massive and well-behaved and in good humour from what I saw and heard. I enjoyed the cricket played, and even managed a few beers just quietly.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Woke up this morning at 10.30am, switched on the TV, checked Teletext - lo and behold, we're getting screwed again. FFS lads.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Some crap stuff on CricInfo at the moment, some article talking about how Collingwood failed on the bouncy pitch that is Adelaide.

Warne tonning-up tomorrow? We can only hope.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I wanted to add that Warne vs. Pietersen is the most enjoyable cricket I've experienced lately. It's just a great battle.

Currently I have it at 2-2...

The first innings at the Gabba doesn't count since KP went out to someone else.

KP gets the nod for the second innings at the Gabba and then first innings at Adelaide making him 2-0.

Warne bowled him round his legs in the second innings at the second test to make it 2-1 to Pietersen.

You can argue who gets the nod in the first innings of the third test as McGrath dropped KP off Warne's bowling. And also batting near the end of the innings sort of devalues wickets since batsman are looking for quick runs. So I didn't mark anybody.

Warne had KP out stumped today, but Gilchrist missed it. Warne had him so cold. Although KP went out trying to hit Warne out of the park when the tail was in, the fact that Warne had him so cold and KP didn't score fast and had the shackles put on him all day. I gave Warne the nod.

So it's 2-2 for me. And despite KP getting a good start off Warne, for me they're just so magnificently matched. Both are world class and are equal in their rivalry for me. Just great to see such great competitive cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
One of thw worst days play I can ever remember seeing. The slow outfield and rain ****ed up what should have been an awesome day. The pitch was pretty **** too, prepare a hard fast pitch if the outfield is that bad.

Legga

Banned
Speaking as an Australian, I liked the days action.
That was a good toss to have lost.
Ponting was going to bat if he had won.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
PhoenixFire said:
One of thw worst days play I can ever remember seeing. The slow outfield and rain ****ed up what should have been an awesome day. The pitch was pretty **** too, prepare a hard fast pitch if the outfield is that bad.
We finally produce a pitch that England might actually be able to take 20 wickets on (I guess we won't know now because of another spineless batting performance) and that is the thanks we get from the pommies...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL I was cream-crackered last night after a 5am start, I only lasted 9 balls. Awoke a short while later to see us 34-2. Eff it, and I'm working tomorrow so shan't be viewing tonight I don't think. Really disappointed tbh.