• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith issues warning to Flintoff

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
silentstriker said:
....? What language do you speak in convict-land? :dry:
We kind of mumble things - hard to have a good conversation over the rattling of our leg irons.....
:D

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
Smith is just a joke as a captain, isn't he? Why do the Saffies put up with him?

Such a hypocrite too; can serve it up but not swallow it.
Why? Because most Saffies hate Australia and Australians with a passion and don't mind if the captain is totally wrong, as long as he is seen to have a go at them..

All the talk in South Africa was, is Smith worth his place in the side as a batsman, not should he be captain :laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Why? Because most Saffies hate Australia and Australians with a passion and don't mind if the captain is totally wrong, as long as he is seen to have a go at them..

All the talk in South Africa was, is Smith worth his place in the side as a batsman, not should he be captain :laugh:
Sad really - you guys want to be Aussies so badly! It must be all those South African defeats in various semi-finals of various World Cups (in the rugby too). :tongue:

****** runs and hides *********

Matt79

Global Moderator
Except they really were a collection of *s, not filtered swear words.

There's no emo for run and hide. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
During India's tour of Aus back in 2003/04 there was a fight that happened right near me late on day 3. Some Australians got drunk, and I think there were some English guys there too, based on their accent and their use of the term which is censored on CW, i.e. the term used to shorten 'Pakistani'. They aimed it at the Indian fans. However before anyone had gotten drunk it was pretty tame, with guys from both countries chatting a little. However then some of the Australians purposely started touching one Indian guy's flag when he waved it to try and piss him off. The Indian guy went nuts yelling "You can touch me, but don't you ever touch my flag." It obviously escalated (I blame some of the women who were at the cricket with the Australians, they were instigating them to keep going) and the police came to settle it down. Some Australian bystanders (one lady in particular) told the police that these guys were being racists towards the Indians etc. By that time I just decided to leave, and come back fresh on day 4. Was a pretty ugly incident to be honest. Not what you want to see at the cricket.

There was plenty of abuse from a few typical yobbos on day 1 as well, whereby these uneducated fools just made fun of the Indian national anthem, yelling "What the hell is this crap?" among other stuff, but when Sehwag smashed all the Australian bowlers around the park during his 195 they shut up quickly.

The MCG can be pretty piss poor when it comes to cricket crowds, and its not just ODIs. Tests can be horrible too. Mind you I'm not just talking about the odd "Show us your passport" chant that some of the crowds yell at the Indian crowds, but just genuine racial abuse.

From my experiences at Aus vs. WI matches it doesn't happen too often, but then again there aren't large WI based crowds taking up a bunch of rows in a stand or something to aim the abuse at. But you'll find its far more directed at sub-continent crowds.

Regarding direct racial abuse to the players, I've only really seen Murali cop it. Never any other player, its mainly the crowds vs. crowds stuff in my experience. That's probably why you haven't heard many teams complain about racism, SA aside. They're generally not the ones to cop it, its the fans that are cheering them sitting side by side to a couple of dumb yobs or whatever.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SirBloody Idiot said:
An Aussie being called a convict is the same as an Englishman being called a Pom, a New Zealander being called a ram rooter, an Indian being called raghead, yes?
You honestly reckon calling someone a 'pom' is the equivalent to calling someone a 'raghead'?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
The MCG can be pretty piss poor when it comes to cricket crowds, and its not just ODIs. Tests can be horrible too. Mind you I'm not just talking about the odd "Show us your passport" chant that some of the crowds yell at the Indian crowds, but just genuine racial abuse.
I tend to sit up on the top levels nowadays to avoid all of that crap. There seem to be mostly families with children up there so you can watch the cricket in peace.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I've thought about sitting at the top levels, specifically because a mate of mine who is of an Indian b/g doesn't really 'ignore' the racial taunts like myself, but gets riled up and obviously I really cannot be stuffed getting kicked out of the MCG due to some crap fight which achieved nothing.

Another reason is the hot Pakistani and Indian girls generally sit at the bottom levels closer to the action, and that's a major incentive for me to sit there too. :D

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah, I'm sick of Bay 13 crap as well. I used to enjoy that rubbish, but not anymore. Too many bogans for mine.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I was at day 3 of that same test Jono, and I actually think I was right near that, or something very similar. We moved to a clearer area during lunch and had a snooze.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Thanks for that Graeme. We do actually know the Aussies are going to throw abuse at us, we aren't completely naive.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I have to admit that when I'm sitting in the members, I occasionally look over there and think - yeah it would be fun to join in a Mexican wave or wear open toe shoes. But then the ruffians start a "Members are wankers" chant and boo us when we don't join in the wave, and I realise I'm better to have another cup of tea and get back to filling out my scorecard. ;)