• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes head to head - 100 days to go

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think Cook-Langer has some merit. Langer hasn't made many runs in test cricket since the Ashes, while Cook's had a great time of it. I think if you were to back someone to have a great series you'd obviously back Langer, but it's fair to say that they are about even at this point.

The other three are ridiculous though. Doesn't matter if McGrath hasn't played for six months, he's the best seam bowler of his generation, and Hoggard hasn't exactly dominated this home summer. Chris Read has played ONE test since returning to the side, while Gilchrist has been in the best form of his entire career with the gloves since the Ashes, piled on the centuries in ODIs and made one very good one in tests. Hussey is averaging over 75 in both forms of the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im an Ian Bell fan but Id take Hussey every day of the week. Also, how can one of the greatest players of the 21st century be in a tie with a guy who has played 1 test in the last few years. Crazy

I dont agree with the analysis but the conclusion is accurate. It will be a close series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Gilchrist has been in the best form of his entire career with the gloves since the Ashes, piled on the centuries in ODIs and made one very good one in tests.
And what have his other Test scores been?...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And what have his other Test scores been?...
Made an 80 odd against South Africa and a similar score against the World XI. Other than that, basically nothing. Regardless, he's been keeping well and his batting has been fine in ODIs, and you'd have to be crazy to imagine that a slump with the bat makes him "just" better than Read.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Made an 80 odd against South Africa and a similar score against the World XI. Other than that, basically nothing. Regardless, he's been keeping well and his batting has been fine in ODIs, and you'd have to be crazy to imagine that a slump with the bat makes him "just" better than Read.
Well if his slump continues then i don't see the problem. It goes without saying that if he recovers a semblance of his form then the equation changes. But then if Read bats at eight then Gilchrist's batting will be up against Flintoff, not Read.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James said:
Even so Marc, would you really say Gilchrist is "just" a better player than Read?
If he's not scoring more runs then yes, because glove-work is in favour of Read.

luffy

International Captain
I cant wait until the Ashes. I will be watching every minute of it. Apart from when i am at school when i will just take a portable radio. Lol

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think the Hussey-Bell thing is laughable, if we're basing it on form, seems as Bell has hit a century in each test he has played this summer, also filled his boots against Pakistan last winter (well to an extent anyway, he was our best batsman out there).

Bell's post-Ashes average is 53.4. This may not stand up to 75, but it is still impressive. Bell has scored 4 100s and 3 50s in this time, Hussey has 4 100s and 4 50s. I dare say if we'd faced the West Indies in this time, Bell could have scored heavily there (if selected).

I think it is too close to call but I reckon both of their averages will be lower when the Ashes are done and dusted :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I think it is too close to call but I reckon both of their averages will be lower when the Ashes are done and dusted :)
Probably Bell more so, i got a feeling Hussey may be Australia's best batsman in the ashes.

luffy

International Captain
I think if Gilchrist Fails in the 2 test they should give Haddin a go. He is a great player and i think he should play a couple of test matches to prove he can Bat and Not just wicketkeep.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Well if his slump continues then i don't see the problem. It goes without saying that if he recovers a semblance of his form then the equation changes. But then if Read bats at eight then Gilchrist's batting will be up against Flintoff, not Read.
That's irrelevant when comparing Read to Gilchrist though. Obviously you compare batting and glovework, and Gilchrist has been one of the best keepers in the world for 5 or so years and barely made a keeping error all summer, averages nearly 50 with the bat and two tests ago he made 144. How can a guy who has played one test in the last few years be close to that? It'd be like arguing Stuart Clark was better than Matthew Hoggard because he has a better bowling average, completely ignoring the fact that one has proved himself over several years and the other has played four tests.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Gilly score a century in Bangla when rest of his teammates couldn't pass 25 ? Gilly any day over Read.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some pretty stupid calls there. Cook and Langer is okay, but Gilchrist definitely>Read, Hussey>Bell, and there is no question at all that McGrath>Hoggard. Surprised the writer stopped there and didn't put Monty over Warne...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I really don't see why everyone is classing Hussey so far ahead of Bell. I know Bell had a nightmare in the Ashes, but he is so much more confident now.

I'm gonna stick my neck out. Bell to average more than Hussey in the Ashes - and if he doesn't I'll put Hussey in my avatar for a month.