Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Main problems each side needs to confront before start of series...

Main problems each side needs to confront before start of series...

Australia
    • Middle Order
    • Fourth bowler
    • McGrath

England
    • Injuries
    • Middle Order
    • Make up of attack

Maybe Langer's position might come under threat, I don't know. Whether or not they play two spinners, and an all-rounder, is also an issue that needs to be sorted out.

WRT the last point about England, if Giles isn't fit, or even if he is, I wouldn't be suprised to see England play 5 pace bowlers. I don't think Giles will be as effective in Australia where the pitches are a bit quicker, and you can't quite "take the pace off the ball" like you can on the slightly slower pitches of England. And if he's missing, then I think that their next best bowler isn't a spinner.

What else will the sides concern themselves with in preparation for the series?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I don't think the fourth bowler is really a "problem" right now, assuming McGrath is fit. With Gillespie and Clark both around, there's healthy competition, and that's a good thing. The real problem is definitely McGrath. If he's unfit, it will require Lee to step up again, and there's obviously questions about whether or not he's capable of backing up his efforts against South Africa. If he is fit and there are no signficant form or injury concerns for the others, the ideal attack would be McGrath, Lee, Gillespie and Warne.

Regarding the batting, I think Australia are likely to go in with the same team they have in Bangladesh right now, with Langer added in and Hussey at 6. That is certainly the sensible approach.

While England's batting is the key worry, there's also some questions about how well their bowling attack will perform in Australian conditions. Harmison and Hoggard had a poor time of it last tour, and while Jones was probably the key in England, with injury problems and using different balls there's a fair chance he won't be as effective. Flintoff is the only member of England's attack I have total faith in regarding his performance in Australia.

Giles is likely to be fodder on Australian pitches outside of Sydney, but I do think that England needs a spinner, since they should be able to carry him for use on 4th and 5th day wickets due to the five-man attack. The only situation in which they would be best off without a spinner would be if they had a 5th seamer who was putting in top notch performances in test cricket, so part of that will come down to James Anderson and how well he bowls in the English home summer before he comes here. I personally doubt Anderson will be very effective here either, so they would be better off with a spinner in most conditions. Ideally it would be Giles, and failing that, probably Panesar?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    WRT the last point about England, if Giles isn't fit, or even if he is, I wouldn't be suprised to see England play 5 pace bowlers.
    I would be very shocked that they'd play 5 pace bowlers - the 5th man wouldn't have enough to do or add enough variety to the main 4.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Don't forget Australia's problem of not having an adequate captain.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Don't forget Australia's problem of not having an adequate captain.

yeah but i dont think that that's gonna change for a while unfortunatley
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i think the Aussie middle order will be much the same as it is now -

Langer
    Hayden
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Lee
    Gillespie
    McGrath

Clark

Gillespie to sub out for Macgill for Adelaide and Sydney

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Bracken for the Gabba!
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

I certainly think that the 4th bowler is still a definite problem for Australia. Clark did a good job in SA, but if England show the same aggressive attitude on what will be much better batting wickets then whether it's Clark or Gillespie, I expect them to struggle again.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I certainly think that the 4th bowler is still a definite problem for Australia. Clark did a good job in SA, but if England show the same aggressive attitude on what will be much better batting wickets then whether it's Clark or Gillespie, I expect them to struggle again.
    Bring in MacGill and Australia have no 4th bowling problem...
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Bring in MacGill and Australia have no 4th bowling problem...
    Then you have to play an all-rounder...

I still think that Aus selectors refuse (and rightly so, IMO) to play only two pace bowlers (well, in Australia anyway)

Then you have to play an all-rounder...

I still think that Aus selectors refuse (and rightly so, IMO) to play only two pace bowlers (well, in Australia anyway)
    Unless Clarke does something special with the bat, i don't think Australia are losing much bring in Watson. Regardless who you play at #6, they are still going to have a middle order problems. But with Gilchrist starting to comeback to form (i don't care if it was against Bangla) they can consider having Watson in at 6 again.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    If things continue as they are in Bangladesh I think there will only be a few certainties for the first test against England; Hayden, Ponting, Hussey, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee & McGrath. Other than that, there are plenty of positions to play for in the opening rounds of the Pura Cup. It is likely that Langer will retain his opening spot, but if Martyn has a shocking start to the Pura Cup he could find himself out again and Clarke will need a big innings in the 2nd test against Bangadesh, otherwise, like Martyn he will need big runs in the Pura Cup.

Just as a side-point, I don't think Watson has batted at 6 before. I'm pretty sure Gilly has batted above him in each test he played.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    Just as a side-point, I don't think Watson has batted at 6 before. I'm pretty sure Gilly has batted above him in each test he played.
    That was before he scored 200 odd against Lewis and co in the Pura Cup Final

School Boy/Girl Captain TheEpic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    While England's batting is the key worry, there's also some questions about how well their bowling attack will perform in Australian conditions. Harmison and Hoggard had a poor time of it last tour, and while Jones was probably the key in England, with injury problems and using different balls there's a fair chance he won't be as effective. Flintoff is the only member of England's attack I have total faith in regarding his performance in Australia.

That's a rather silly approach to take. I don't know how you can have any feasible doubts about Matthew Hoggard, as he has surely shown in South Africa last year, and then again in Pakistan and India this winter, he can adapt to any condition and has become a fantastic bowler since the last Ashes tour. Most people write off Hoggard as only effective in gloomy English conditions on green pitches, but it has been shown time and time again that this is not the case. I expect him to top the wickets tally.

Never ever write off Harmison on a bouncy track either. He can lose confidence and pace at times, but if the pitch suits him the shaky Australian middle order will find it difficult to cope.

I also fully expect Simon Jones to be as great a danger as in the 2005 series. He will have plenty of cricket before the Ashes to get back to full fitness and rhythm providing he is injury free, and this is dangerous for Australia. He can reverse swing any cricket ball, as was shown on previous England 'A' tours, and he has also added traditional swing alongside bristling pace to his locker. He is nearly the finished article, providing he can shake off various niggles.

So, I would think very carefully before you make these sort of comments about England's pace attack, which has proved itself all over the world over the past couple of years against better batting line-ups than the current Aussie one.

WATCH OUT!
    Ponting is made out of hay. Lolz!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information