• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Main problems each side needs to confront before start of series...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australia
  • Middle Order
  • Fourth bowler
  • McGrath
England
  • Injuries
  • Middle Order
  • Make up of attack

Maybe Langer's position might come under threat, I don't know. Whether or not they play two spinners, and an all-rounder, is also an issue that needs to be sorted out.

WRT the last point about England, if Giles isn't fit, or even if he is, I wouldn't be suprised to see England play 5 pace bowlers. I don't think Giles will be as effective in Australia where the pitches are a bit quicker, and you can't quite "take the pace off the ball" like you can on the slightly slower pitches of England. And if he's missing, then I think that their next best bowler isn't a spinner.

What else will the sides concern themselves with in preparation for the series?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the fourth bowler is really a "problem" right now, assuming McGrath is fit. With Gillespie and Clark both around, there's healthy competition, and that's a good thing. The real problem is definitely McGrath. If he's unfit, it will require Lee to step up again, and there's obviously questions about whether or not he's capable of backing up his efforts against South Africa. If he is fit and there are no signficant form or injury concerns for the others, the ideal attack would be McGrath, Lee, Gillespie and Warne.

Regarding the batting, I think Australia are likely to go in with the same team they have in Bangladesh right now, with Langer added in and Hussey at 6. That is certainly the sensible approach.

While England's batting is the key worry, there's also some questions about how well their bowling attack will perform in Australian conditions. Harmison and Hoggard had a poor time of it last tour, and while Jones was probably the key in England, with injury problems and using different balls there's a fair chance he won't be as effective. Flintoff is the only member of England's attack I have total faith in regarding his performance in Australia.

Giles is likely to be fodder on Australian pitches outside of Sydney, but I do think that England needs a spinner, since they should be able to carry him for use on 4th and 5th day wickets due to the five-man attack. The only situation in which they would be best off without a spinner would be if they had a 5th seamer who was putting in top notch performances in test cricket, so part of that will come down to James Anderson and how well he bowls in the English home summer before he comes here. I personally doubt Anderson will be very effective here either, so they would be better off with a spinner in most conditions. Ideally it would be Giles, and failing that, probably Panesar?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vic_orthdox said:
WRT the last point about England, if Giles isn't fit, or even if he is, I wouldn't be suprised to see England play 5 pace bowlers.
I would be very shocked that they'd play 5 pace bowlers - the 5th man wouldn't have enough to do or add enough variety to the main 4.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think the Aussie middle order will be much the same as it is now -

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Clark

Gillespie to sub out for Macgill for Adelaide and Sydney

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I certainly think that the 4th bowler is still a definite problem for Australia. Clark did a good job in SA, but if England show the same aggressive attitude on what will be much better batting wickets then whether it's Clark or Gillespie, I expect them to struggle again.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I certainly think that the 4th bowler is still a definite problem for Australia. Clark did a good job in SA, but if England show the same aggressive attitude on what will be much better batting wickets then whether it's Clark or Gillespie, I expect them to struggle again.
Bring in MacGill and Australia have no 4th bowling problem...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Bring in MacGill and Australia have no 4th bowling problem...
Then you have to play an all-rounder...

I still think that Aus selectors refuse (and rightly so, IMO) to play only two pace bowlers (well, in Australia anyway)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Then you have to play an all-rounder...

I still think that Aus selectors refuse (and rightly so, IMO) to play only two pace bowlers (well, in Australia anyway)
Unless Clarke does something special with the bat, i don't think Australia are losing much bring in Watson. Regardless who you play at #6, they are still going to have a middle order problems. But with Gilchrist starting to comeback to form (i don't care if it was against Bangla) they can consider having Watson in at 6 again.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If things continue as they are in Bangladesh I think there will only be a few certainties for the first test against England; Hayden, Ponting, Hussey, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee & McGrath. Other than that, there are plenty of positions to play for in the opening rounds of the Pura Cup. It is likely that Langer will retain his opening spot, but if Martyn has a shocking start to the Pura Cup he could find himself out again and Clarke will need a big innings in the 2nd test against Bangadesh, otherwise, like Martyn he will need big runs in the Pura Cup.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Just as a side-point, I don't think Watson has batted at 6 before. I'm pretty sure Gilly has batted above him in each test he played.
That was before he scored 200 odd against Lewis and co in the Pura Cup Final ;)

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
While England's batting is the key worry, there's also some questions about how well their bowling attack will perform in Australian conditions. Harmison and Hoggard had a poor time of it last tour, and while Jones was probably the key in England, with injury problems and using different balls there's a fair chance he won't be as effective. Flintoff is the only member of England's attack I have total faith in regarding his performance in Australia.

That's a rather silly approach to take. I don't know how you can have any feasible doubts about Matthew Hoggard, as he has surely shown in South Africa last year, and then again in Pakistan and India this winter, he can adapt to any condition and has become a fantastic bowler since the last Ashes tour. Most people write off Hoggard as only effective in gloomy English conditions on green pitches, but it has been shown time and time again that this is not the case. I expect him to top the wickets tally.

Never ever write off Harmison on a bouncy track either. He can lose confidence and pace at times, but if the pitch suits him the shaky Australian middle order will find it difficult to cope.

I also fully expect Simon Jones to be as great a danger as in the 2005 series. He will have plenty of cricket before the Ashes to get back to full fitness and rhythm providing he is injury free, and this is dangerous for Australia. He can reverse swing any cricket ball, as was shown on previous England 'A' tours, and he has also added traditional swing alongside bristling pace to his locker. He is nearly the finished article, providing he can shake off various niggles.

So, I would think very carefully before you make these sort of comments about England's pace attack, which has proved itself all over the world over the past couple of years against better batting line-ups than the current Aussie one.

WATCH OUT! :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Australia
  • Middle Order
  • Fourth bowler
  • McGrath
England
  • Injuries
  • Middle Order
  • Make up of attack

Maybe Langer's position might come under threat, I don't know. Whether or not they play two spinners, and an all-rounder, is also an issue that needs to be sorted out.

WRT the last point about England, if Giles isn't fit, or even if he is, I wouldn't be suprised to see England play 5 pace bowlers. I don't think Giles will be as effective in Australia where the pitches are a bit quicker, and you can't quite "take the pace off the ball" like you can on the slightly slower pitches of England. And if he's missing, then I think that their next best bowler isn't a spinner.

What else will the sides concern themselves with in preparation for the series?
Is it really likely that the pitches at The 'Gabba, Adelaide, The MCG and The SCG are going to be especially slower than the pitches we saw in 2005?
In any case - it's not like Giles was effective in 2005 other than in the first-innings' at Edgbaston and Old Trafford.
Yes, IMO it'd be much better to go in with 5 seamers, even if 1 of them is Harmison. I've been saying that ever since I examined the situation. And yet, we're still living in the dark-ages, because we still have the "you must have variation" argument dominating most selection issues.
For me, you simply pick your best bowlers, and only rarely is a spinner one of the best bowlers in either England or Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
While England's batting is the key worry, there's also some questions about how well their bowling attack will perform in Australian conditions. Harmison and Hoggard had a poor time of it last tour
And of course Hoggard hasn't made any improvements at all since then...
Giles is likely to be fodder on Australian pitches outside of Sydney, but I do think that England needs a spinner, since they should be able to carry him for use on 4th and 5th day wickets due to the five-man attack.
Really - what is it about fourth- and fifth-day wickets?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I would be very shocked that they'd play 5 pace bowlers - the 5th man wouldn't have enough to do or add enough variety to the main 4.
Variety isn't important if they're all threatening to take wickets (which, of course, is unlikely if 1 of them's Harmison, but still - it's the ideal).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Don't forget Australia's problem of not having an adequate captain.
Really, I fail to see how Ponting is inadequete. Not the best captain going around, no, but he's no more inadequete than Geraint Jones is as a wicketkeeper.
I don't see how Ponting's captaincy is likely to adversely affect Australia's chances next winter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Why's that?
Generally if you show an aggressive attitude against accurate bowling you'll pay for it - we've seen that often enough in recent Ashes Series.