• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay

James

Cricket Web Owner
14 June 2018
8:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow

15 June 2018
17:00 YEKT (UTC+5)
Egypt
Uruguay
Central Stadium, Yekaterinburg

19 June 2018
21:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Russia
Egypt
Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg

20 June 2018
18:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Uruguay
Saudi Arabia
Rostov Arena, Rostov-on-Don

25 June 2018
18:00 SAMT (UTC+4)
Uruguay
Russia
Cosmos Arena, Samara

25 June 2018
17:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Volgograd Arena, Volgograd

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Egypt likely to face Sergio Ramos in the R16 if they qualify. Could be... interesting.

Uppercut

Not least because they're now saying that Salah may well be fit for the WC.
Indeed. "Fit" is almost definitely an overstatement, but he'll still be their best player if he plays in a sling while on morphine.

Daemon

I know nothing about football but this group seems easier than the others. Is this true?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I know nothing about football but this group seems easier than the others. Is this true?
Not necessarily, because most of the teams are of similar/mediocre ability. Uruguay should top the group as they are comfortably the best side, but there isn't a huge amount between the rest, so could be close. Expecting some fairly stodgy games.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fairly predictable, but I would imagine the group will end:

1) Uruguay
2) Russia
3) Egypt
4) Saudi Arabia

Russia will plod their way through on the back of some ugly wins and the home advantage I suspect. Hopefully I'm wrong and Egypt pip them to it. They have a handy squad made up of players playing in mostly decent leagues, so they could be capable of pulling a few surprises, but a lot will depend on Salah I guess. Not a lot of goals in the squad otherwise.

Know very little of Saudi Arabia, but a quick look on their wiki page suggests that almost none of their players play outside Saudi Arabia, which doesn't bode well for them. Sounds like they are well-organised and could give it a good go though. Will be lols if they effectively knock Russia out or something.

Daemon

Not necessarily, because most of the teams are of similar/mediocre ability. Uruguay should top the group as they are comfortably the best side, but there isn't a huge amount between the rest, so could be close. Expecting some fairly stodgy games.
I should have phrased it better, is the overall quality of this group lower than the others?

If we simply total the FIFA world rankings for each group, France’s Group C looks like the toughest group with a combined ranking of 71. For fun, we also included the top four teams in the world that did not qualify for the World Cup in a hypothetical Group X. That group would be tougher than any group that is in the World Cup.

As for Russia’s Group A, those four teams add up to a combined ranking of 180, 77 more than any other group.
Any chance Russia rigged this is what I'm getting at basically

Uppercut

Any chance Russia rigged this is what I'm getting at basically
Fifa always rig the World Cup draw in favour of the hosts by making them top seeds, because the atmospheres are much better if they manage to stay in the tournament for a while. It's standard procedure, and oddly, no one ever objects.

It usually results in one or two incredibly crap groups, like this one.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The opening game always involving the hosts usually makes that a fairly anticlimactic affair as well (unless the host nation is actually good of course), as it usually means the game will be pretty crap.

I can understand the logic, as if you want a big party atmosphere to kick things off after some sort of ceremony, it makes sense for the host nation to be playing. But in terms of footballing specactle it can blow pretty hard.

I keep getting excited because I keep remembering the tournament starts in less than two days from now. But then I remember that the opening game is Russia vs Saudi Arabia, and then am instantly deflated. Having looked at all the other group stage fixtures just now, I honestly think this is the game that I have the least interest in/enthusiasm to watch from the entire first round, so it's a shame that it's the curtain-raiser. Now I've said this it'll probably be a multi-goal thriller or something, but oh well.

Anyway, should go back to having the defending champs in the opener imo, because at least then you should get to see at least one team full of stars etc. No star-power at all really involved in the game on Thurs. They should also go back to having more than one game on the opening day). Have good memories of Brazil beating the Jocks in 98 and Senegal beating France in 2002.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Yeah, I think they made the change before they knew how many future tournaments would go to countries with **** teams. Nothing could possibly happen on Thursday that would make it anywhere near as memorable as Cameroon beating Argentina, Senegal beating France, or even Germany and Costa Rica thumping in a series of absolute thunderbastards in 2006.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is probably the worst possible first game but in a way I am ok with it because in what other context would I ever be really excited for Russia v Saudi Arabia?

Niall

International Coach
When Robbie Williams isn't the low light of today's action, we have problems. Two bad teams Clive.