Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Round of 16 matches

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Yeah, I'm sat around not knowing what to do. I actually watched an episode of Kitchen Nightmares earlier. Bad times.

If it was cricket people would be complaining that it hasn't finished yet and that there were daily games.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Howard Webb referring Brazil-Chile tomorrow. No point betting on a Chilean penalty/Brazil red card then.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I know Jonathan Liew did that statistical proof that Webb's a choker but I still feel he's probably a better ref than most in Brazil. International tournaments and WC knockout games always make me appreciate how much the quality of Prem officiating has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Yeah. Also all three CONCACAF teams that have ever made it to the last 16 are here (Costa Rica already qualified once, but then USA were still **** and Mexico banned).

Less than half European sides qualified, not exactly a rousing argument for increasing their spots.

Mexico have lost at this stage five times in a row, looking good for Netherlands
    & one of them is Greece, who are barely even a football side at all.

Against Yurp losing spots is that no Asian sides qualified at all. In fact I don't think they even won a single game.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Like queuing at the post office, or a cardboard cup of weak milky tea there is a quality of slightly clichéd but still beautifully reassuring Englishness about watching Cook bat"
    - Barney Ronay

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Tim Vickery made a really interesting point last night about Brazil and them playing Fred up front.

In his view Fred's immobility and the fact that he hardly ever touches the ball is not necessarily a reason to criticse him, as the entire reason he's in the side is because the way he's slow and plays higher up the pitch forces the oppo's defenders back, and allows Neymar, Oscar and the full backs etc... far more space in the gap between midfield and defence to use the ball and score goals. The only reason he's in the side is to free up this space for the others to play, because Brazil don't have enough quality to play with a Spanish style false nine.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with all of what he says, but it does make a lot of sense. I'll be paying close attention to today's game to see how much truth there is to this idea.

Love him as a pundit though, you'd never EVER get anything like this kind of thoughtful input from the pundits sat in the TV studio.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    & one of them is Greece, who are barely even a football side at all.

Against Yurp losing spots is that no Asian sides qualified at all. In fact I don't think they even won a single game.
    Wouldn't complain if South America got to keep the host spot from this year.

If 6 out of 10 makes too much of a joke out of qualifying, merge them with the rest of the Americas.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Tim Vickery made a really interesting point last night about Brazil and them playing Fred up front.

In his view Fred's immobility and the fact that he hardly ever touches the ball is not necessarily a reason to criticse him, as the entire reason he's in the side is because the way he's slow and plays higher up the pitch forces the oppo's defenders back, and allows Neymar, Oscar and the full backs etc... far more space in the gap between midfield and defence to use the ball and score goals. The only reason he's in the side is to free up this space for the others to play, because Brazil don't have enough quality to play with a Spanish style false nine.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with all of what he says, but it does make a lot of sense. I'll be paying close attention to today's game to see how much truth there is to this idea.

Love him as a pundit though, you'd never EVER get anything like this kind of thoughtful input from the pundits sat in the TV studio.
    and it all happens with Dotun Adebayo, it is such a ridiculous mix. My favourite radio show by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    and it all happens with Dotun Adebayo, it is such a ridiculous mix. My favourite radio show by far.
    Haha, yes, see my comments on him in the coverage complaints thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    That's as pure a teamwork vs. individual quality match-up as you'll see.

I feel like Belgium's pattern of a frustrating first hour followed by good late counter-attacking might look a bit better against quality teams. Back four has plenty of mistakes in it though.
    USA is better than they faced in the group but it's a dangerous game for the USA. The US don't keep clean sheets so they are likely to have to score multiple times to win. Belgium will double down on Dempsey which will put pressure on someone else to step up.

18M Americans watched the last game which is a record. It was also the highest watched stream on ESPN ever. Both of those would of been higher if it wasn't the middle of a work day. Scenes if thousands of people watching outdoor big screens in Chicago and NY have made this a huge WC here. I haven't seen anything line it before.

Klinsman will need to get the players in the right mind to face Belgium. Too often in the past the US has been to content with getting out of the group. In the knockout rounds anything can happen.
    Last edited by Tangles; 28-06-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Lol. This could be a bloodbath.

Great delivery, but Sideshow Shyte scoring is plain wrong.

Almost looks an own goal from 1 of the angles.

Yeah that's an own goal I reckon.

I think the football gods would prefer that, yes.

Neymar never looks up, does he?

&, I realise it's been said before, but Gene Hackman is a shoo in to play Big Phil in the biopic of his life, isn't he?

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information