• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The notions of a 24 games game or 2 year ban should be reserved for serious stuff. This is a bit weird but it's comical more than it is malicious. And before people level the accusation that it is a Liverpool player otherwise I would be saying the opposite I absolutely wouldn't. Is a sneaky pinch that bruises an opponent something that would garner that kind of ban? You can go two footed and try to break an opponent's leg and you still wouldn't get anywhere near that kind of ban. There's just no consistency.
I'll never understand this sort of thought process. There's a world of difference between doing something that is part of the game or designed to win a football match and ****ing biting someone for no reason. If you slide in recklessly and break someone's leg playing football you should get a red card, maybe a ban. If you grab someone off the ball and bite them you should get a much longer ban. Not because being bitten is worse than getting a broken leg, but because one of them is a reasonable and legitimate risk in the sport - you might get a broken leg, you might get concussion, you might tear a hamstring, you probably shouldn't have to worry about getting bitten. The only way it could be even remotely equivalent would be if you knew a player picked someone out and intentionally broke their leg with an unnecessary tackle with no intent to win the ball, which obviously isn't going to be something you can be sure of. We know Suarez has bitten people off the ball repeatedly, for no reason other than that he apparently likes to bite people. It has nothing to do with the sport. It's the difference between injuring someone with a bouncer that was intended to intimidate them but also get a wicket and just hitting them with a bat.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Biting in rugby union is generally a six monther across domestic, international club comps & internationals. Dylan Hartley copped one a coupla years back.

Lot more opportunity to do it in the fifteen man code too, what with scrums and rucks.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I largely agree with Faaip (not happy about how often that seems to happen lately). I'd say Roy Keane on Haaland is worse than what Suarez did last night but can scarcely think of many other tackles I would put on the same pedestal. Even most tackles we brand a disgrace aren't out and out assaults

Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes probably the worst thing I've seen on a football pitch, possibly

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Schmacher on Battiston is probably the worst thing I've seen.

&, much as I love him, Paul Davis sucker punching a Southampton player (Glen ****erell?) and busting his jaw was pretty poor form too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah Schumacher a good shout.

Did you watch Baddiel and Skinner back in the day? They did an awesome re-enactment of it on their Phoenix segments. Random.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyway I read that it would be unprecedented for them to give a club ban for anything other than a drugs ban. Would expect that to continue here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah Schumacher a good shout.

Did you watch Baddiel and Skinner back in the day? They did an awesome re-enactment of it on their Phoenix segments. Random.
Ha, yeah. I loved their "Pele was shyte" feature too, which showed a different clip of the great man stuffing up each episode.

I think the theme song was "Pele, Pele, Pele was shyte; he was worse than Jason Lee..."

IIRC it grew out of their "Old Football was shyte" thing for their world cup progs.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Anyway I read that it would be unprecedented for them to give a club ban for anything other than a drugs ban. Would expect that to continue here.
It's not for something done on the pitch but I'd be surprised if that is true as I imagine that people have got world bans for match-fixing and suchlike as well tbf.

Anyway all that we are hearing does sound like it won't be a club ban, yeah.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ha, yeah. I loved their "Pele was shyte" feature too, which showed a different clip of the great man stuffing up each episode.

I think the theme song was "Pele, Pele, Pele was shyte; he was worse than Jason Lee..."

IIRC it grew out of their "Old Football was shyte" thing for their world cup progs.
I remember Skinner ranting about Pele's 1000th goal and all the fuss it got, one time. He was saying he had just discovered that the 1000 included goals in exhibition matches and America (:D)

"it'd be like me celebrating my 25th joke on TV even though 9 of them were on Richard & Judy"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not for something done on the pitch but I'd be surprised if that is true as I imagine that people have got world bans for match-fixing and suchlike as well tbf.

Anyway all that we are hearing does sound like it won't be a club ban, yeah.
My guess would be those bans were originally given out by the national association and then rubber-stamped by FIFA to apply worldwide. Whereas this would be disciplinary action dished out by FIFA. Maybe.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm slightly miffed that Suarez hasn't, and presumably won't, face any criminal sanctions for his behaviour to be honest. Being bitten by someone is so far removed from what one could reasonably expect to be on the receiving end of whilst playing in a football match that it must surely fall outside the consent to harm that one would acquiesce to when taking part. It's an assault, pure and simple, there's no way it can be dressed up as part of the game. Not that what Keane did could be considered to be either; it just irks me that so often the limits of the law seem to end at the touchline, for no logical reason whatsoever.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Anyway, Uruguay seemingly doing their best to make themselves appear like obnoxious and thoroughly objectionable oiks by accusing Chiellini of pointing to an old scar, and saying Suarez's head inadvertently fell onto his shoulder.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Suarez's lawyer being quoted as saying that this is only a story because it's Suarez, that Italy are bitter about losing and the English media is again out to get him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Suarez's lawyer being quoted as saying that this is only a story because it's Suarez, that Italy are bitter about losing and the English media is again out to get him.
Yeah, the English media can't be trusted because they celebrated the phantom goal in 1966, apparently.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well he's right, it wouldn't be quite as big a deal if it was someone else as they wouldn't have form for it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'll never understand this sort of thought process. There's a world of difference between doing something that is part of the game or designed to win a football match and ****ing biting someone for no reason. If you slide in recklessly and break someone's leg playing football you should get a red card, maybe a ban. If you grab someone off the ball and bite them you should get a much longer ban. Not because being bitten is worse than getting a broken leg, but because one of them is a reasonable and legitimate risk in the sport - you might get a broken leg, you might get concussion, you might tear a hamstring, you probably shouldn't have to worry about getting bitten. The only way it could be even remotely equivalent would be if you knew a player picked someone out and intentionally broke their leg with an unnecessary tackle with no intent to win the ball, which obviously isn't going to be something you can be sure of. We know Suarez has bitten people off the ball repeatedly, for no reason other than that he apparently likes to bite people. It has nothing to do with the sport. It's the difference between injuring someone with a bouncer that was intended to intimidate them but also get a wicket and just hitting them with a bat.
This is true on some levels, but again there is no consistency. Firstly, a tonne of other stuff that has nothing to do with the game and that are definitively assault (pinching, spitting, headbutting, punching, elbowing, etc) carry the same argument as the above. There are also plenty of tackles that have nothing to do with the spirit the game - i.e. trying to retrieve the ball with your feet - and are clearly malicious. Those aren't part of the game either, in fact, they're explicitly called fouls and depending on the circumstance can have added bans to the automatic ones. An illegal tackle is just another illegal act that is designed to gain an advantage. The notion that Suarez bit Chiellini because he "likes it" is laughable. He's a nutter, gets frustrated and wants to hurt his opponent either to get an edge or to draw a reaction to get the other guy sent off. Pretending as if being bitten is a bigger concern than getting a career ending tackle is similarly laughable. Do we actually care about the players' safety here or are we trying to point score on a technical difference? One happens far more than the other and is far more dangerous than the other, and it isn't biting. Ask any player if they'd rather be bit like Suarez has done or be on the receiving end of a knee-high two-footed challenge. It's not even an argument. If they're going to give high bans to deter people, then they should do it where it matters more.

Anyway the point is not that it should be condoned because it happened on the field, but the fact that if you're going to rule, then do it consistently. From what I've read on some sites Fifa are looking at this in the view of violent conduct and taking spitting bans as a base. For me, that's fair enough. What I was arguing against was the ludicrous 24 match or 2 year bans.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is true on some levels, but again there is no consistency. Firstly, a tonne of other stuff that has nothing to do with the game and that are definitively assault (pinching, spitting, headbutting, punching, elbowing, etc) carry the same argument as the above. There are also plenty of tackles that have nothing to do with the spirit the game - i.e. trying to retrieve the ball with your feet - and are clearly malicious. Those aren't part of the game either, in fact, they're explicitly called fouls and depending on the circumstance can have added bans to the automatic ones. An illegal tackle is just another illegal act that is designed to gain an advantage. The notion that Suarez bit Chiellini because he "likes it" is laughable. He's a nutter, gets frustrated and wants to hurt his opponent either to get an edge or to draw a reaction to get the other guy sent off. Pretending as if being bitten is a bigger concern than getting a career ending tackle is similarly laughable. Do we actually care about the players' safety here or are we trying to point score on a technical difference? One happens far more than the other and is far more dangerous than the other, and it isn't biting. Ask any player if they'd rather be bit like Suarez has done or be on the receiving end of a knee-high two-footed challenge. It's not even an argument. If they're going to give high bans to deter people, then they should do it where it matters more.

Anyway the point is not that it should be condoned because it happened on the field, but the fact that if you're going to rule, then do it consistently. From what I've read on some sites Fifa are looking at this in the view of violent conduct and taking spitting bans as a base. For me, that's fair enough. What I was arguing against was the ludicrous 24 match or 2 year bans.
7 matches for first bite

10 for the second

Anything less than 11 and he has been treated leniently so 24 is hardly ludicrous

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
7 matches for first bite

10 for the second

Anything less than 11 and he has been treated leniently so 24 is hardly ludicrous
Proportionally, 24 international matches is like being banned for 80 domestic though, I suppose

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Proportionally, 24 international matches is like being banned for 80 domestic though, I suppose
Don't get that

WC is huge but friendlies are irrelevant

Anyway, my personal belief is that this goes beyond that as the guy obviously has issues

He really should be suspended indefinitely pending psychiatric evaluation and treatment but money will rule this option out