• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Changes to Olympics that you's like to see

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I agree that chess is as ****e for spectators as it is players.

Scrabble on the other hand works fine. Beats poker for a start. There's plenty of drama through seeing what tiles have been picked up, seeing someone like Nigel have a crap looking rack of AJLORTV, then see there's a floating E so he arranges the tiles into TOLARJ(E)V. Or when someone just plays a stupidly good move like HIERODULE through a floating E and D. Then there are things like whether a bonus will be blocked, or an opening created. For lesser players you need a commentator to explain things and point out options, but it works a lot better than people think.

I'm sure a few of you can't wait to come and play in Prague:

Scrabble

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree that chess is as ****e for spectators as it is players.

Scrabble on the other hand works fine. Beats poker for a start. There's plenty of drama through seeing what tiles have been picked up, seeing someone like Nigel have a crap looking rack of AJLORTV, then see there's a floating E so he arranges the tiles into TOLARJ(E)V. Or when someone just plays a stupidly good move like HIERODULE through a floating E and D. Then there are things like whether a bonus will be blocked, or an opening created. For lesser players you need a commentator to explain things and point out options, but it works a lot better than people think.

I'm sure a few of you can't wait to come and play in Prague:

Scrabble
Truly a case of Bachelors from Prague.

Confirmed bachelors.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Scaly's the limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun of the scrabble world tbh.

WOOOO!!

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I love Chess but I gotta question how many actual professional chess games Cevno has been privy to. A single move could take upwards of half an hour at times, during which absolutely nothing will happen save blinking.
Pretty sure i clarified i was talking about Rapid Chess like at the Asian games. And anyway now they have fixed timers at World Championships for the normal one too, though probably that is still too long for such games.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Cevno I have no idea why you keep trying to push chess. It's a) clearly not a sport and b) it would be ****ing horrible to watch.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I just mentioned it among 5/6 sports i would like to see in the olympics and that too in the "maybe" category and it went from there. It's already there in the asian games so not too far fetched either.

It's subjective really but many sports in the olympics currently are not too great to watch as it is(Sailing, Judo etc..) and i disagree that Chess isn't a sport, though i can see where you are coming from.

Burgey

Yes they aren't all great to watch, but they're all sports.

I'd advocate a return of poetry medals to the games before chess.