• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** The Olympics is **** Thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't want people stinking up every thread in the Euros forum ranting about how dire it is so I'm making myself a containment thread.

Why do people watch this ****? I don't see the appeal at all. Almost any sport with a semblance of technical complexity or depth is either not part of the Olympics or already has at least one much more prestigious competition in place.

Uppercut

Not sure if you think I'm a pom (not ok) or have started using the word as a general insult (actively encouraged).

Flem274*

123/5
Then don't watch it?

Though I do agree it's kind of odd many, many Olympic sports (equestrian, athletics, swimming, rowing, maybe triathlon? etc) have their own world championships as well as the Olympics.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Then don't watch it?

Though I do agree it's kind of odd many, many Olympic sports (equestrian, athletics, swimming, rowing, maybe triathlon? etc) have their own world championships as well as the Olympics.
I also find it interesting that there is a Wimbledon each year to find the best grass court player.

In the end, with the Olympic cycle, there's a need for tracking of progress and competitions outside of it. Just because something is the pinnacle doesn't devalue the other competitions.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure if you think I'm a pom (not ok) or have started using the word as a general insult (actively encouraged).
Ireland Olympic Medal Count — [ Irish KC ] Kansas City Irish Festivals, Music, Pubs, & Events by an Artist in Ireland

And I quote:

Final Count: Gold 0; Silver 1; Bronze 2

In terms of the medal count for Ireland, the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing are shaping up to be one of the most successful in Olympic history.
On a serious note, I think an event that brings the best exponents of their sport together in a three week carnival is absolutely brilliant, especially the limelight that athletes in certain sports get that they would never receive otherwise.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most Olympic sports are cobblers: fact. I mean, I'm pleased GB is good at yachting and all but even during the Olympics no-one's sufficiently arsed to actually watch it. It's just a question of following the news updates: "Ben Ainslie is leading the Finn class after ten rounds" then "Another gold for Bulldog Ben."

It's all about the athletics to me. & even then the walking can **** off. I mean, seriously? Is there any time in the sphere of human experience where it's more effective to walk quickly than run? A fact appreciated by the competitors who break into a trot when they think no-one's watching, which one can understand because, let's be frank, no-one is. Unless your idea of sporting excellence is a hundred or so skinny feckers waggling their arses like they've got love beads shoved up there.

benchmark00

Definitely prefer the team events over the individual ones. Even the relays in swimming and running. Something about country vs country opposed to individual vs individual intrigues me.

Spikey

Definitely prefer the team events over the individual ones. Even the relays in swimming and running. Something about country vs country opposed to individual vs individual intrigues me.
Agree with first bolded, but with the second bolded, country doesn't matter for me, team v team is just usually better than individual v individual, be it Essendon, NSW or Aus

Flem274*

123/5
Is there any time in the sphere of human experience where it's more effective to walk quickly than run?
When you're in a hurry and trying (and failing) to hurry in a dignified fashion?

When you're that person who always has to walk at the front of a group and when someone walks faster than you to wind you up, you need to retake your place as the weird person who must always walk in front?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When you're in a hurry and trying (and failing) to hurry in a dignified fashion?

When you're that person who always has to walk at the front of a group and when someone walks faster than you to wind you up, you need to retake your place as the weird person who must always walk in front?
Apt.

Walking: the sport for the socially maladjusted weirdo.

Spikey

when you're lost in the mountains and you have to conserve energy but still use some energy because you need to find water