• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does this World Cup Rank so far with other World Cups

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Having watched most games in this world cup, I have to say honestly that this World Cup has failed to enthuse me so far compared to some of the previous World Cups. Most games have been low scoring affairs and no Team has done anything spectacular (except Argentina but even they fizzled in their draw in the following game) so far, to give energy or vibrance to this World Cup so far, like some Teams have done in the past.

It has been so far a pretty drab , mediocre World Cup for me compared to some of the spectacular ones of the past like 2002 or France 98 .

I guess the World Cup is far from over , But opinions on the World Cup so far ?

I guess most Aussies would disagree with me for obvious reasons.

Cloete

International Captain
Ignoring all of Australia's games and hell, our group (boo Croatia), it's been brilliant for me. I remember very little of WC 94, but it's certainly better than 98 and 2002 for me. The quality of play by all teams has been simply superb and there's been alot of attacking, possession football played.

There are always disappointing games but for the most part it's the best one I've ever watched. Cracking goals, great touches, great dribbling, great tackles, great defending and, for the most part, great games. :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think it's been an excellent world cup, so far at least. Of the three that I have watched in their entirity before this one, I found both '94 and '02 disappointing for various reasons, but this world cup has been full of excellent football. Obviously there's been a few drab games in the last few days with dead rubbers and such, but generally it's been an open world cup with no obvious team dominating (so far), and I don't see why you consider it particularly low scoring, because it really hasn't been that bad. The goal average is slightly down on 2002, but the games have generally been closer as well and there's been less mismatches, so it's been fine I think.

The football has generally been of a much higher standard than 2002 in my opinion, and the competition has been very even. Argentina, Spain, Brazil and Germany have all impressed, and nobody really has much of an idea who will win at this point, which is in stark contrast to last time around where Brazil were miles better than the competition throughout. Also, I think a lot of teams have really shown how small the gap between the top and bottom nations is, with the likes of Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Australia and Ghana impressing.

Mind you, there's still a while to go, and '94 was a great world cup until quite near the end also, so we'll see how it finishes. I certainly think it has the potential to be the best I've seen, though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I actually find most world cups disappointing with USA '94 being the worst. I think it is a combination of World Cups never being able match the hype and myself getting older and less pasionate.

This WC has been ok but again a disappointment relative to the constant build-up and expectations.

I mean even I find it hard to believe that I did not watch the Neth-Arg game as it could have been the biggest game so far but after seeing the result Im glad I missed it. That game was a big disappointment and maybe is symptomatic of this WC.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It hasn't kicked off yet.

Now the knockouts are here, that's when the tournament proper starts.

Craig

World Traveller
I've enjoyed it so far.

Watching some of the smaller teams have been a delight. I could watch Cote d'Ivorie all day.

pasag

RTDAS
superkingdave said:
better than 2002 for sure.
It has been excellent so far and I have been thoroughly engrossed. I watched the whole 2002 and most of 98 but it is all abit of a blur just like this one will be in a few years time. So I can't really compare.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I think the major problem with the WC is that most of the groups, or at least the qualifiers if not the order, were decided before the third round of matches. It made for some dull fixtures. Argies/Holland would have been a cracker if it was live.

Can't complain about Australia's games :D

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
putting aside the disgraceful performances from the onfield officials its been great. Theres been a lot of high quality goals and nearly every match both teams have played to win. Theres nothing worse than teams playing for draws, thankfully we havent see much of it...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Worst WC I've seen (in terms of the quality of football) was Italia 90, this one has been pretty decent so far. Been a slightly disappointing lack of shocks tho. Of the 16 teams thru, 13 you would've fancied, 2 had sporting chances of an upset & only Ghana are a real, genuine turn-up.

On the plus side hopefully we won't see Turkeys or South Koreas make the semis this time.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Can't remember too much of '98, but 02 sent me to sleep. This one less so, so it has my vote.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
steds said:
Can't remember too much of '98, but 02 sent me to sleep. This one less so, so it has my vote.
well wasnt it on in the middle of the night for u?
02 was awesome for Australians cause we could watch every match at a decent hour, its been tough to keep awake to see em all this time...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
well wasnt it on in the middle of the night for u?
02 was awesome for Australians cause we could watch every match at a decent hour, its been tough to keep awake to see em all this time...
Nah. Most games around 8/9/10 am, iirc

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
the second round has just started but it has been far better than 2002 put together & with the big sides likely to be in the quarter-finals and beyond it should be better than 98.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
This has been the best of the three that I can remember. '98 was okay... but nothing special, and '02 was boring.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I enjoyed '98 loads, was my first World Cup. 2002 was only lit up by the Asian dimension, the fact that Argentina and France went out early on (though highly amusing) did nothing for the competition.

As LE has said, a World Cup does not really come alive until the knock out stages.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
World Cup so far has been damn excellent for me.. It's a worldcup that i will remember for a long long time, not just because Australia is playing but the excitement that i have been through watching there games..

Aussie games have created quite a lot of hype around media and throught the country, so all these makes me say that it has been one of the best..

Personally didnt prefer last worldcup, and in all honesty i thought 98 was much better than the last WorldCup but this worldcup takes over all the others..