• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

adharcric

International Coach
Well Xuhaib, I kind of noticed that too but didn't want to bring it up so quickly. If that's the real deal, **** that's funny.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Cant believe people are talking about Zizou's headbutt more than the wonderful team effort of Italy in this World Cup...Cannavaro is my hero,its been said enough of Italy being negative or too defensive...

How can playing defensive be negative?Thats as meaningless as Zidane's behaviour last night.Italy has shown how to defend your own goal cleanly and still score goals on its own on counterattack and team effort...remember 10 different scorers have scored their 12 goals.That says something about their unselfishness and teamwork...That for me is Beautiful Football...Not that they were only defensive...throughout the tournament they created good chances and scored great goals (except the Aussie debacle)...they also played four forwards against Germany in extra time!

The Azzurris are the Kings of the world...As for Zidane,I'd say 'Thankyou Materazzi' for your contribution to help us recognize that Zidane should never be thought of in the same league as Beckenbauer,Pele,Maradona...Zizou,a decent player yes,a good leader too and thats all he is...does not deserve the greatness he's thrust upon just because he scored twice in 98 final...He won it with his head in 98 and lost it with his head in 2006...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nikhil1772 said:
Cant believe people are talking about Zizou's headbutt more than the wonderful team effort of Italy in this World Cup...Cannavaro is my hero,its been said enough of Italy being negative or too defensive...

How can playing defensive be negative?Thats as meaningless as Zidane's behaviour last night.Italy has shown how to defend your own goal cleanly and still score goals on its own on counterattack and team effort...remember 10 different scorers have scored their 12 goals.That says something about their unselfishness and teamwork...That for me is Beautiful Football...Not that they were only defensive...throughout the tournament they created good chances and scored great goals (except the Aussie debacle)...they also played four forwards against Germany in extra time!

The Azzurris are the Kings of the world...As for Zidane,I'd say 'Thankyou Materazzi' for your contribution to help us recognize that Zidane should never be thought of in the same league as Beckenbauer,Pele,Maradona...Zizou,a decent player yes,a good leader too and thats all he is...does not deserve the greatness he's thrust upon just because he scored twice in 98 final...He won it with his head in 98 and lost it with his head in 2006...
Let's not get carried away.

Italy deserved the title as much as anyone because they "beat the team that beat the team" and also beat Germany, who IMO played the best football of the tournament.

However, the Italian team:

a. like many others, uses diving as an integral part of both their defence and offence;

b. like many others, react like they've been shot at the merest hint of physical contact;

c. still puts the fear of defeat so far above willingness to chase victory that they hardly mounted any worthwhile offense in the last hour of a match played for significant portions without the opposition's 3 best players and whilst holding a 1 man advantage for a period (and this in the knowledge that their record in penalty shout-outs was diabolical);

d. has members mired in corruption scandals; and

e. has a member now accused of racial abuse.

Beautiful result but hardly beautiful football.

As for Zidane, no matter what the provocation, it was a moment of madness but cant detract from the fact that he was one of the greatest players in history.

Last edited:

andyc

Zidane's headbutt was pretty much the funniest thing I've ever seen during a game. Absolutely stupid thing to do, but classic nonetheless.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TT Boy said:
LOL, Marco has always done the hand shake thing. He did it with Henry all night, foul him, say something than put his hand out to say sorry. Just one of those things he does.
What I meant was that Zidane had accepted the hand and was smiling.

Within 5 seconds he's running up and butting him.

What got me was his face when he was sent off, as if he didn't know what he'd done wrong!

Have to say, the ref dealt with it perfectly IMO.

Scaly piscine

For some reason I had baseball on last night and even the yanks were slamming how farcical it is to have the World Cup decided by penalties. This was the conversation roughly:

Old white guy: Did you watch the World Cup final Joe?
Slightly younger black guy: Yes I did watch it, can't believe after 3 weeks [sic] of all that hard work it was decided by a penalty shootout. It's like the NBA being decided by foul throws
Old white guy: In which case any team with Shaq in it is gonna lose

I concur. I just can't bring myself to give a toss when a team 'wins' by penalties, it's a joke.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
For some reason I had baseball on last night and even the yanks were slamming how farcical it is to have the World Cup decided by penalties. This was the conversation roughly:

Slightly younger black guy: Yes I did watch it, can't believe after 3 weeks [sic] of all that hard work it was decided by a penalty shootout. It's like the NBA being decided by foul throws

I concur. I just can't bring myself to give a toss when a team 'wins' by penalties, it's a joke.
Sort of agree, although I find it hard to be sympathetic when sides have been as negative as they tend to be nowadays. What's the best option?
- play until someone scores the golden goal?
- replay the game
- award it to the side that's conceded the least free kicks
- viewers' vote
- other

Scaly piscine

As I've said before I'd just continue playing extra time periods, but have proper breaks so the players would rest for the same length of time as they're on the pitch playing (I'd also allow an extra substitute per extra period and if necessary change it from 11 v 11 to 10 v 10 or whatever). Nowadays tho the gaps between the games are too small anyway without someone crying about being tired after a gruelling match, so football is making it impossible for itself to organise a proper tournament without some sort of blatant shortcoming.

Anyway it's not my problem...

Xuhaib

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Sort of agree, although I find it hard to be sympathetic when sides have been as negative as they tend to be nowadays. What's the best option?
- play until someone scores the golden goal?- replay the game
- award it to the side that's conceded the least free kicks
- viewers' vote
- other
Easily the best option.

Sure we may get an odd weird game that gets decided at the 200 minute mark but it would mean that teams would know they have to score if they are to win that would lead to more attacking football and more games would get decided in the normal time.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:

Yeah, it's a joke. I don't see why they can't just replay the game in a few days (much like the pre-final rounds of the FA Cup) when it is the final of the World Cup. With the earlier games it messes with the fixture, sure, but with the final, why have the biggest sporting event on earth decided like that?

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, it's a joke. I don't see why they can't just replay the game in a few days (much like the pre-final rounds of the FA Cup) when it is the final of the World Cup. With the earlier games it messes with the fixture, sure, but with the final, why have the biggest sporting event on earth decided like that?
FIFA claim it's because the players want the matches decided one way or the other on the scheduled day as the alternative cuts into their off season.