Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16 and Beyond

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Oh look I know this is immature and pointless, but..
    I fail to see the correlation between my posts. In one I was saying I would thoroughly expect the Aussies to wind us up if we were knocked out, and in the ohter stated that I severly disliked the Portugese players and their attitude. I also edited out that I hoped Ronaldo broke his leg in the semi, but seeing as much worse thingsa have been written about him, I needn't have bothered.

So yes, it was a pretty pointless post.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Still can't believe Lampard missed so many chances. He really was the worst player out there and can't believe Sven took off Joe Cole instead. Tsk. Tsk.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    What if an England player had done it? I'll say it again, several of our squad would probably have done it.

FWIW, hasn't Rooney admitted it was a red-card offence? Not sure about that though.
    I don't agree with the fact that several of our squad would have done it, but if they had, that would still have made them scum. I'm not one to discriminate on nationality - there are plenty of English players I really don't like. Just wait for the day Lee Bowyer gets another cap....

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Give it up Grecian.

Even if Henry gets 2 hat-tricks, he will continue to insist he's right.

The sheer fact he rates Ronaldo ahead of Henry says it all.
    TBF though he does have a lot better record in Major Tournaments and that is a fact.

Wow I never thought I would defend II Fenomeno - I feel so dirty.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Marc - question

Do you think it is ridiculous to claim that Ronaldo at his best was better than Henry, or just to state that he is better now?

imo when Ronaldo was in his prime, there were few better. Before the McDonalds sponsorship kicked in.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Why are you all supporting the Germans? To be honest from here I'm supporting Portugal because they're the outsiders.
    Never liked them, even before the weekend match, too many antics for me.

Allez Les Bleus.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Marc - question

Do you think it is ridiculous to claim that Ronaldo at his best was better than Henry, or just to state that he is better now?

imo when Ronaldo was in his prime, there were few better. Before the McDonalds sponsorship kicked in.
    Ronaldo at his best was incredible, and better than Henry imo. Ronaldo today is still a pretty good striker, and he showed glimpses in some of the later games of the WC, but he's nowhere near Henry.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Ronaldo at his best was incredible, and better than Henry imo. Ronaldo today is still a pretty good striker, and he showed glimpses in some of the later games of the WC, but he's nowhere near Henry.
    I agree. I have to a point said that Scaly's arguments aren't as ridiculous as some make out. However, I would also say that some of the things he does are outstanding regardless of who they are against, I remember him scoring a backheel against Charlton, and that could have been against Brazil in 1970, it still would have gone in, he is that good.

They've both scored 3 goals, but Ronaldo had fewer chances (which is partially his own fault for being a fat boy). Chief wasting chances will cost France when they're in a fairly even game, that's why Ronaldo is still better even now.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Okie guys enough of Fat boy vs henry ,i want to bring forward another argument.

Is Zizou the best since Maradona?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    That is precisely my point - Ronaldo did have a spell when he was awesome, however he's nowhere near that level now.

Still, I guess there is also Klose who is apparently a better player...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Some of us like to judge on results and facts, you marc like to judge on front and bull excrement.

Perhaps you'd like to re-award the World Cup, CL, Premier League etc. over the last few decades and give it the teams with the most style points?

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib
    Is Zizou the best since Maradona?
    Yes. By a country mile, in my eyes.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Some of us like to judge on results and facts, you marc like to judge on front and bull excrement.
    Presumably you therefore consider, say, Gerd Muller (68 goals in 62 games) better than Maradona (34 in 91)?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Presumably you therefore consider, say, Gerd Muller (68 goals in 62 games) better than Maradona (34 in 91)?
    They play completely different roles so you can't compare them by looking at their goals scored, which is what you're presumably after since I've not seen either play much.

Everyone except marc has seen how many chief poseur has missed compared to Klose and Ronaldo, chief hasn't done a great deal else but occasionally take his good chances so once you look at it like that instead of being taken in by all the meaningless hype and postulating etc. it's pretty simple who most sides would rather have... Klose first then Ronaldo then chief poseur. These sorts of simple facts aren't at my disposal concerning your two players.

Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread Information