• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for the English & The Aussies

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Football world cup by miles over the cricket world cup. Ashes im not quite so sure, normally I would say Football world cup but i cant imagine anything better than last summers success, I hope that there will be in a few weeks time.

Cloete

International Captain
Blewy said:
World Cup by a MILE!!!

Simon and I spoke about this a week or so ago... We both agreed we would let England win the Ashes every time if we were to win the WC...
TOTALLY AGREE!!!

If it meant we won ONE World Cup and lost EVERY Ashes series played from hereafter I'd take it every time :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't see myself screaming as loudly or for as long as I did when Kasper got out, no matter how ridiculous our WC final win is. Extending the screaming scale to Old Trafford last January, it's Ashes > ECFC > Football WC >>>>>>>>>>> Cricket WC.

Blaze

Banned
NZ will win both in the next 10 years...

I would prefer seeing the All Whites get to the world cup, than the All Blacks winning the rugby world cup...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cloete said:
TOTALLY AGREE!!!

If it meant we won ONE World Cup and lost EVERY Ashes series played from hereafter I'd take it every time :D
yeh that was the point we were making, the Ashes for the next 100 years would easily be traded for one WC title.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
NZ will win both in the next 10 years...

I would prefer seeing the All Whites get to the world cup, than the All Blacks winning the rugby world cup...
We'll be doing well to win the Ashes...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blewy said:
World Cup by a MILE!!!

Simon and I spoke about this a week or so ago... We both agreed we would let England win the Ashes every time if we were to win the WC...
It all begins to fit into place....

You Aussies have signed a pact with the devil (throws salt over shoulder)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Working on Neil's scale

TRFC>>>Footy World Cup>>>Ashes>>>>>>>>>>Cricket World Cup

Craig

World Traveller
Bit hard to answer when it doesn't directly apply to me.

But if you stuck a gun to my head and choose, I would go Ashes because I liked cricket well before I liked football, but a football World Cup win would be massive here, I mean I have never seen such a reaction/following towards football/soccer here in Australia, so it shows you how significant it was to qualify for it whereas in England it is more or less expected as a given, especially with some of the teams England have had in their qualifying pools for their last two major tournaments. I suppose World Cup qualification would still be expected (or at worst play off) if England were drawn with Spain and France or Italy for example?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I'd put The Rams getting promoted/winning summat ahead of everything to be honest. Then World Cup, then Ashes. Cricket World Cup, meh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Bit hard to answer when it doesn't directly apply to me.

But if you stuck a gun to my head and choose, I would go Ashes because I liked cricket well before I liked football, but a football World Cup win would be massive here, I mean I have never seen such a reaction/following towards football/soccer here in Australia, so it shows you how significant it was to qualify for it whereas in England it is more or less expected as a given, especially with some of the teams England have had in their qualifying pools for their last two major tournaments. I suppose World Cup qualification would still be expected (or at worst play off) if England were drawn with Spain and France or Italy for example?
Been there, done that.

Qualified ahead of Italy for 98 & Germany for 2002. We also had Turkey in our group for Euro 2004, who had finished 3rd at the previous WC.

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Been there, done that.

Qualified ahead of Italy for 98 & Germany for 2002. We also had Turkey in our group for Euro 2004, who had finished 3rd at the previous WC.
I think he means with 2 of those three in England's qualification group.