• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

Craig

World Traveller
Lol just said on the news that according to FIFA had Australia lost to Croatia they could have asked for a replay because of Graham Poll's poor ref decisions.

Don't think they would have though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Lol just said on the news that according to FIFA had Australia lost to Croatia they could have asked for a replay because of Graham Poll's poor ref decisions.

That would have meant the end of international tournaments as we know it.

There wouldn't be a single game played anywhere in the future that didn't have one side or the other bleating about some decision made during the game that arguably was a contributing factor to a real or imagined injustice.

cameeel

International Captain
Craig said:

Not quite, Australia would have requested a rematch because of Simunic not being sent off after 2 yellow cards, which under FIFA rules, is worthy of a rematch.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
luckyeddie said:
That would have meant the end of international tournaments as we know it.

There wouldn't be a single game played anywhere in the future that didn't have one side or the other bleating about some decision made during the game that arguably was a contributing factor to a real or imagined injustice.
FIFA replayed the Asian WC qualifying play off between Bahrain and Uzbekistan after a wrong "technical" decision by the referee. Uzbekistan had a succesful penalty overturned by the referee who wrongly awarded Bahrain a free kick instead of ordering a re-take of the penalty.

Not sending a player off after receiving two yellows is a bit different to a wrongly disallowed goal for offside for instance. It's the same sort of "technical error" as in the Bahrain-Uzbekistan tie.

I think with that precedent we would have had a good case for replay had Simunic scored or assisted in a goal.

Obviously the other dodgy decisions - the two missed penalties and whatever the hell happened at the end - we would have had to wear.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sir Redman said:
Looked like a bit of blatant cheating to me. He saw where the guy was going to kick it and moved his arm into that position. Definately deserved the yellow card.
Absolutely & Emerton knew it too. That's why he walked without so much as a squeak, I imagine. Taking one for the team, as it were.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
i cant really make a prediction, i mean we are definitely the under dog but i think we have a chance. Obviously i want Aus to win but if we dont im still very proud of how the team has done...
Sounds about right to me. We've had plenty of coverage on the Socceroos on our news and it's been good to follow.

Blaze

Banned
^ Yeah Australia have got huge coverage over here. Everyone seems to want them to do well...

Jeez I hope they beat Italy...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
On Emerton - it looked to me as though he tried to move his arm close to his body to either get it out of the way, to protect himself or just as a reaction, but I could very easily be wrong.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Great Birtannia said:
FIFA replayed the Asian WC qualifying play off between Bahrain and Uzbekistan after a wrong "technical" decision by the referee. Uzbekistan had a succesful penalty overturned by the referee who wrongly awarded Bahrain a free kick instead of ordering a re-take of the penalty.

Not sending a player off after receiving two yellows is a bit different to a wrongly disallowed goal for offside for instance. It's the same sort of "technical error" as in the Bahrain-Uzbekistan tie.
Interestingly, Uzbekistan were the ones to protest...then got knocked out. :laugh:

ash chaulk

International Captain
a player not being sent off after 3 yellows should mean a replay for sure

because of the fact tat the other team unfairly has too many players on the pitch

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I think the main reason I want Australia to win now is to watch the next 'Stuff History' advertisment. :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Will there still be 'stuff history' ads now that Australia are out? :(

That history guy rules :D

howardj

International Coach
As an Aussie, that ending was so tragic you have to laugh.

A Shakespearean soccer tragedy if there ever were one.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
howardj said:

Get used to it, doesn't get any easier trust me :) heartbreak around every corner. You did really well to make the last 16, fair play to yous. Shame it had to end like that but.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:

Hahaha, you know, that's a terrific description. You just got the feeling from the start that something like that was going to happen. Each and every game in this WC Australia has been up against it, coming from behind, being unlucky with the refs and so on, and there was the feeling that something awful was going to happen to finish it. With Italy at 10 men, Hiddink having subs in hand and the score still at 0-0, I was feeling pretty good when 90 minutes ticked over, and Neill and Grella held out a couple of dangerous moments towards the end and extra time seemed imminent.

Then when Neill hit the ground and put his hands in the air, you could just see what was about to happen, and knew that with our luck the ref would be sucked in by it, and that the World Cup was done.

But with all that, it was so absurdly fitting for the rest of the competition that it was hard to be really upset about it. I think I had my head in my hands for a second after he pointed to the spot as I realised that Totti would most likely score it and that there would be no time left, then said "oh well, at least we made it this far".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Great Birtannia said:
Our world cup started with a ******** decision and finished with a ******** decision. Perfect symmetry :(
I know, Materazzi must be gutted at being suspended for the next game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Then when Neill hit the ground and put his hands in the air, you could just see what was about to happen, and knew that with our luck the ref would be sucked in by it
If he puts his hands in the air, there can only be one reason he's done so, thus showing the intent that makes it a penalty.