• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Craig

World Traveller
I suppose Carrick will get that role with Gerrard pushed to the left and Jole Cole on the bench as an impact player I guess.

Of course there is always a certain "Englishman" (as Piscine would say) playing for Bayern Munich anyway... (*hide*) :p

Actually out of interest I would love to know what Piscine thought when Hargreaves was picked for England despite only qualifying for England by the virture of his father and having never played there professionally.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ledley king if you ask me is not a huge loss, as marc has said he is an ineffectual midfilder, and given everyone being fit he would not have got a game in defence as he would probably only be 5th choice anyway.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really know Hargreaves' background enough to comment on him, it's the ones that have like a grandfather that's Irish or whatever and they play for Ireland because of that. If you've got one parent that's English than you've got *some* argument to be considered English at the very least.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
Ledley king if you ask me is not a huge loss, as marc has said he is an ineffectual midfilder, and given everyone being fit he would not have got a game in defence as he would probably only be 5th choice anyway.
but still having him as an defensive option in the WC would still be good. I hope he can make it..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd feel happier with King in that role than Hargreaves...
But based on this season surely Carrick is the form man for that position?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Will Carrick make the starting XI though?, the only way is if Cole is dropped and Gerrard is put on the left and i dont want that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why on earth would that happen, joe cole is very important to the side, dropping him to force gerrard wide and move carrick in would be a terrible idea, the only way carrick can hope to start is if one of gerrard or lampard gets injured.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
I still think it's funny.
He can speak German can he not?

Though I believe Jürgen Klinsmann has said on many occasions that if the player is not German from birth or from growing up in Germany than he will not be selected. Not only applies to Jimmy Bullard but Valérien Ismaël as well, he really would be a definitive starter for Germany but instead it now looks like he may line up for Togo in the World Cup. Maybe with Germany's awful performances of late, Klinsmann may go back on his word.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
He can speak German can he not?

Though I believe Jürgen Klinsmann has said on many occasions that if the player is not German from birth or from growing up in Germany than he will not be selected. Not only applies to Jimmy Bullard but Valérien Ismaël as well, he really would be a definitive starter for Germany but instead it now looks like he may line up for Togo in the World Cup. Maybe with Germany's awful performances of late, Klinsmann may go back on his word.
Kevin Kuranyi?

Born & raised in Brazil, I think.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Kevin Kuranyi?

Born & raised in Brazil, I think.
Correct but he was not capped by Jürgen Klinsmann. Gerald Asamoah is another one who currently plays but he went to Germany when he was a lad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
Correct but he was not capped by Jürgen Klinsmann. Gerald Asamoah is another one who currently plays but he went to Germany when he was a lad.
Totally forgot about Asamoah, but any road I think if you move to a country as a kid it's different to moving there as an adult. Klose & Podolski were both born in Poland, but moved to Germany as children. Makes them German in my book, if that's what they feel inside.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
And that's Kurányi to you, Brumby. :p
I'm too much of a luddite to know how to do that funny accent-thingy... :shy:

Is Germany really considering calling up Bullard tho? They must be in worse shape than I thought! :p