• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon Taylor first world cup Kolpak to sign for County cricket,Who's next.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has the restriction on playing for your country been tested in EU law? Seems bizarre that such a restraint of trade would be allowable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sigh. Just 29. We need ways to see cricket expands, not shrinks.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sigh. Just 29. We need ways to see cricket expands, not shrinks.
Zimbabweans playing county cricket instead of for Zimbabwe doesn't really "shrink" cricket though. It makes international matches less competitive, sure, but that's not the same thing. The fact that the pathways are still strong enough to give Zimbabweans cricketing career options overseas is good for the spread of the game even if it's not good for the health of international competitions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't agree at all man. When young kids see Zimbabwe play, and get beaten far more, as their top players are not playing the game, that doesn't help the game at all. Imagine if Rubel Hossain was playing for KKR because of a rule like Kolpak and not for Bangladesh. Bangladesh wouldn't have won v England, possibly, and so many youngsters would not have been inspired to take on the game, which I am sure they have been with that victory.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I somewhat agree with Pratters here. If you're a young Zimbabwean kid and you see your team getting destroyed every game and your best players ****ing off to play weird non-TV cricket in a different country, then it's probably not conducive to growing support for the game.

It may not reduce the 'spread' of the game per se, but it may very well reduce participation rates in Zimbabwe.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Talented kids in Zimbabwe may be tempted to train hard in order to earn those CC contracts though. They're probably aware of where the players like Taylor are going and how much their lives will improve because of it, they're not dumb and think it's just 'weird non-TV cricket'.

Subjective though, and we're probably not in the best position to know what the impact will be.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kolpak rules have nothing to do with the ECB.
just a small nit pick and hardly related to the post in question but it was ECB lobbying that led to the "must have played recent international cricket" criteria being introduced by the government in relation to kolpak players/overseas players

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
When I was 5 or 6 and starting to become passionate about the game, if I'd watched Australia getting smashed game after game and Glenn McGrath going "lol nope, going to stick with Worcestershire thanks very much" or Steve Waugh pissing off overseas, I don't think I'd have cared about cricket nearly as much as I do now.

When kids get older, then sure, they're likely to go "hey, this could be a way out of Zimbabwe". But when you're first seeing the game, and when you're in that hero-worship stage, I can think of nothing worse than seeing your hero leave in their best years to play County Cricket.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Talented kids in Zimbabwe may be tempted to train hard in order to earn those CC contracts though. They're probably aware of where the players like Taylor are going and how much their lives will improve because of it, they're not dumb and think it's just 'weird non-TV cricket'.

Subjective though, and we're probably not in the best position to know what the impact will be.
That is kids already in cricket who are able to come information on County opportunities. I doubt it would be conducive to attract kids into cricket itself. But having good players playing for the national team help do that not them going off to overseas and losing domestic access.

Edit: Dan!:@

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Has the restriction on playing for your country been tested in EU law? Seems bizarre that such a restraint of trade would be allowable.

The whole point of Kolpak is that you can play your trade in Europe as a "local" as a result of agreements between your country and the EU; you can't argue you're playing as a local whilst still representing Zimbabwe or South Africa.

Antihippy

International Debutant
I somewhat agree with Pratters here. If you're a young Zimbabwean kid and you see your team getting destroyed every game and your best players ****ing off to play weird non-TV cricket in a different country, then it's probably not conducive to growing support for the game.

It may not reduce the 'spread' of the game per se, but it may very well reduce participation rates in Zimbabwe.
Speaking of which, isn't the lack of cricket on FTA one of the main reasons for the decline of junior cricket in england?

Maybe the ECB's secret objective is to destroy cricket one nation at a time. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I think, as increasingly happens when I read his posts, I took more issue more in the slightly odd way he worded his post than what he actually thought he before he posted it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't want Taylor in the Notts team. Purely because having two Taylors in one team will be inconvenient.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Kolpak rules have nothing to do with the ECB.
No, it's is the ECBs self serving distortion of the Kolpak rule to their own advantage.

Under the Kolpak rule a Zimbabwean like Taylor should be treated no differently to EU citizens like an Irishman or Dutchman like Joyce or Ten Doeschate. But they are treated differently.

But the ECB enforce an extra restriction on kolpaks, this is their own choice, it is detrimental to world cricket, and it is now helped along with extra slices of ICC money.

The Kolpak ruling is a European Court of Justice ruling handed down on 8 May 2003 in favour of Maroš Kolpak, a Slovak handball player. It declared that citizens of countries which have signed European Union Association Agreements have the same right to freedom of work and movement within the EU as EU citizens. Thus any restrictions placed on their right to work (such as quotas setting maximum numbers of such foreign players in sports teams) are deemed illegal under EU law.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This does seem to be the sticking point. There may well have been a good reason for it in the past but it seems very harsh now.