• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

17th Match - Afghanistan v Scotland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Great stuff this. I was hoping Afghanistan would dominate, because I think they have a future in international cricket. No disrespect to Scotland as a country, or their players, but I'm bored with them making up the numbers. Same goes for the UAE.

Antihippy

International Debutant
This might be the first time I've seen an Afghani right arm bowler not go around to a left hand batsman.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
13 runs and a wicket in the power play is an outstanding result for Afghanistan.

cnerd123

likes this
Great stuff this. I was hoping Afghanistan would dominate, because I think they have a future in international cricket. No disrespect to Scotland as a country, or their players, but I'm bored with them making up the numbers. Same goes for the UAE.
Did you not see UAE vs Ireland?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've been a broken record in previous game threads about Scotland's tail being awesome; good to see they've finally done something to back me up on it here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** me that's a decent snare. And a fine knock. Really good batting down the order from Scotland. Cribb vindicated.

Dick Rockett

Not the scorecard. Did you actually see it. Like watch the match?

Fielding aside, UAE are pretty good.
I saw bits of it. I'm not denying that they are capable of good performances occasionally.

In my opinion, overall, there's not a lot to recommend persisting with the likes of the UAE. They historically haven't performed, and from what I can see (I may be wrong about this) they have no indigenous cricket culture. Propping up teams of expats just seems like a waste of time and money to me.

cnerd123

likes this
Ah ok. Yea fair enough.

Quite a few nations worth persisting with though. Ireland, Scotland, Afghanistan, Netherlands, Nepal, Namibia, Uganda, PNG, all have great local cricket cultures.

Dick Rockett

Ah ok. Yea fair enough.

Quite a few nations worth persisting with though. Ireland, Scotland, Afghanistan, Netherlands, Nepal, Namibia, Uganda, PNG, all have great local cricket cultures.
I disagree about Scotland and the Netherlands, but yeah, it would be great to see what the others are capable of.

cnerd123

likes this
I disagree about Scotland and the Netherlands, but yeah, it would be great to see what the others are capable of.
Cricket in the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cricket in Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both countries have very long histories with the sport.

FWIW I feel that wherever in the world there are people who want to play cricket - be they exapts, or natives of a new country - the ICC should support them. I have nothing against expat-heavy nations like UAE, Hong Kong, Canada and the USA playing cricket. I think its healthy if they become strong teams, as it will increase the chances of the locals taking up the sport.