• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

13th Match - India v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 13th Match of the World Cup between India and South Africa (Melbourne Cricket Ground).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone know how many are expected to turn out at the 'G' for this one? Sell out?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone know how many are expected to turn out at the 'G' for this one? Sell out?
I read somewhere that it was sold out, whether that many people actually show up is a different matter altogether.

I am strangely optimistic of India's chances for this game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India can't lose this. every Indian match I've attended this summer India didn't lose. And I am attending this.

halba

International 12th Man
could be a very close contest
the sides are stacked with batting talent. india's top 6 versus SAF's top 6 is a mouth watering prospect. the wicket should be reasonably flat with boundary's roped in, it was in the 1st game.

bowling wise, south africa's bowling hasnt quite gotten it right in aussie conditions. morkel, steyn have not been generating any movement. very straight deliveries. india have a good opportunity to make a big score if south africa's bowlers continue to struggle. tahir was really impressive recently, but indian batsmen are very comfortable against leg spin.

bowling wise india have a much better ODI attack than tests. Bowlers are fairly economical and hard to hit. Spinners will play a vital role - ashwin and jadeja, in restricting SAF, as SAF are a bit weak versus quality spin.

anil1405

International Captain
I know the game is at MCG but Proteas bringing in one of the seamers for Tahir would be the most stupid move.

Tahir is your best bowler currently. Dont drop him FFS.

SeamUp

International Coach
I honestly think Duminy is enough against India as the spin option. Dhoni hasn't found him easy in the past if memory serves me correct. I would consider bringing in Parnell & Abbott for Behardien & Tahir.

Tahir is a funny sort. I just think 3 teams have the better of him.... India, Australia & Sri Lanka. I see no reason for 7 overs 0-54.

anil1405

International Captain
He's been their best bowler off-late. Irrespective of the opposition or pitch he should be in the playing 11.

anil1405

International Captain
I honestly think Duminy is enough against India as the spin option. Dhoni hasn't found him easy in the past if memory serves me correct. I would consider bringing in Parnell & Abbott for Behardien & Tahir.

Tahir is a funny sort. I just think 3 teams have the better of him.... India, Australia & Sri Lanka. I see no reason for 7 overs 0-54.
Hasn't played an ODI against India and hardly a handful against Aus or SL (done well in 3 games he played against SL).

While he might be self-destructive at times in tests, his performance in ODIs have been insanely good.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hasn't played an ODI against India and hardly a handful against Aus or SL (done well in 3 games he played against SL).

While he might be self-destructive at times in tests, his performance in ODIs have been insanely good.
I don't think pure stats explain Tahir. He should have done better in tests if that is the case.

Mentally he seems to not be able to deal with certain situations. He seems to continually bowl quicker and full-tosses when under extreme pressure. Even running on the pitch starts coming in. That is why I say, he is a weird sort. He averages 19 in ODI's but I still can't seem to trust him.

anil1405

International Captain
Haven't seen him bowl quicker or full-tosses in ODIs. Maybe you are taking his overall career into consideration.

He has been so immaculate in ODIs. I'd say **** the stats, he is such a treat to watch in ODIs. Probably doesn't get the attention he deserves in the 50 over format.

SeamUp

International Coach
Haven't seen him bowl quicker or full-tosses in ODIs. Maybe you are taking his overall career into consideration.

He has been so immaculate in ODIs. I'd say **** the stats, he is such a treat to watch in ODIs. Probably doesn't get the attention he deserves in the 50 over format.
When we toured Australia recently, that was an indication. Robbie P came in for him.

Sangakara & Jayawardene and then Kohli come to my mind that will easily put him under pressure. See it come so easily in tests where normal cricket is played those 3 wouldn't have a problem in ODI's.

But I do respect the fact he has been far better in ODI's generally, it is just I know he can let you down when you least expect it and with him not offering much in the field and the bat in big games can be a luxury.

anil1405

International Captain
Going by that theory, Moeen Ali should have been smashed all over the park by Indian batsmen.

SeamUp

International Coach
Moeen Ali gets some nice dip & allows the ball to spin.

Far too often I've seen Tahir bowl to quick and too full leading to no dip and no chance to spin the stock ball. His googly is alright but it is easily read by the best.

But I'm just going with what I think I would consider. Lets see what conditions and game plans hold on the day.

anil1405

International Captain
Tahir has been maintaining attacking lines in ODIs. He may not give the ball enough rip but that hasn't affected his rhythm. The series against Aus in November has probably been his worst so far but even in those three ODIs that he played he never got belted. Did reasonably well in conditions that didn't suit him.

The pitch might dictate his selection for this particular ODI but I still feel Proteas would be better off having him in the playing 11.

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
Besides, who are you going to drop him for? Wayne parnell?
Thats another aspect I don't even want to look into. Its fine if they pick Abbott but Parnell would be a double blow (dropping your best bowler and picking the worst you have).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tahir has been maintaining attacking lines in ODIs. He may not give the ball enough rip but that hasn't affected his rhythm. The series against Aus in November has probably been his worst so far but even in those three ODIs that he played he never got belted. Did reasonably well in conditions that didn't suit him.

The pitch might dictate his selection for this particular ODI but I still feel Proteas would be better off having him in the playing 11.
The way Tahir bowled v India last time around, you wouldn't want him near the XI come match day.