• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

With the change of the 2019 W Cup is this the last we will ever see the minnows play.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
So true. And records racked up against this Indian attack should have asterisks next to them too. And when your mouse hovers over the asterisk an animated gif of Binny bowling pops up.

So 264 against Scotland by an individual in an ODI would be as big an accomplishment as an individual scoring 264 against Sri Lanka ?

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
What has that got to do with the quoted text?
It has everything to do with my initial point which was derailed by the quoted text so I'll ask again.. Is 264 by an individual against Scotland in an ODI as big an accomplishment as 264 against Sri Lanka?

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Your argument is ****. You want to exclude minnows to protect invidual records, many of which have already been set against minnows.

brockley

International Captain
Isn't it enough the minnows virtually excluded from t20 world cup.
Was Hayden's 380 vs Zimbabwe backable.

The exclusion of minnow countries is sad,a move backwards,especially since Zimbabwe is so poor,so exclude them and Bangladesh.
I can't wait for Dockerill and Paul Stirling to be part of England,and Breondon Taylor a kolpak.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Your argument is ****. You want to exclude minnows to protect invidual records, many of which have already been set against minnows.
That's where you are wrong mate.. I want to protect the sacred brand that is ODI Cricket, I would hate to see it devalued, if we want greater participation then we need to have a better system in place throughout the period of time in between World Cup competitions. Throwing a bunch of amateurs, semi pros and journeyman pros up against some of the world's elite players is not a way to promote the game it is a way to devalue it.

There isn't a quick fix way to globalise the game, Rome was not built in one day pardon the pun.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
haha, ODI cricket is a sacred brand? Get out of town.
For me it's always been the pinnacle of the sport, it's the one format of the game in which we have a World Cup it provides entertainment but also there is a long enough passage of play to ascertain who is the best team.

Spark

Global Moderator
the only thing i remember about any of the ODIs we played before this summer last year was faulkner's heist vs england. and mj hitting a window. i don't know what it is about them these days (apart from the obvious reasons) that makes them so distinctly unmemorable, but they're very difficult to recall.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To the extent that ODI cricket may be a brand the World Cup is a rather different one, and it is different because it does and has always included the "minnows", and they have almost always justified their presence

dogwalker

U19 Captain
There's not much sacred about it though, the rules are constantly being tampered with. It's not in great shape now; the two balls and fielding restrictions have becalmed the bowlers. Even hacks like Kohli are scoring runs in the format.

Spark

Global Moderator
i really do like the aus tri-series that we roll out every now and then, the fact that there's an actual points structure to it actually gives the game some inherent context and at least gives the appearance of having something to play for. it was good watching as a young'un.

these 7-match bilateral series in the middle of ****ing nowhere are the absolute pits though. get rid.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's not much sacred about it though, the rules are constantly being tampered with. It's not in great shape now; the two balls and fielding restrictions have becalmed the bowlers. Even hacks like Kohli are scoring runs in the format.
that and the fact that we're about to see the only period of full-strength sides being rolled out on a consistent basis in the next four years.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Each to their own I guess, for me I'll take a bilateral ODI series any day over anything else, the 5 day stuff all roles into one for me and I find it quite mundane and drab of course I am aware of Kolkata 2001 and Lords 2014 but I get far more entertainment in watching two talented sides face each other in an ODI.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Blue the Boards won't let their teams play associates,even worse India are only allowed in 1 T20 bandwagon,talk of snobbery.
Where's your plan now Blue.
Excluded from t20 cup,world cup and icc knockout which was made for selling the game.

The last thing is Tests and the top associate side has to beat the lowest test side hime and away,what happens when Zimbabwe has a another walkout of less than generous talent.That means associate plays the 9th side.
As i said Brendon Taylor to sign with Hampshire 2015.

Flem274*

123/5
I used to love every single ODI as a kid. I think the ODI spam series mixed with rotation and World Cup team building take away a lot of meaning from individual series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
ODIs are pretty empty because there is a World Cup. It's worth the trade off. Same as international friendlies in football