• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Don't see how Pakistan has anything to do with this, tbh. Try to keep it on topic and not going down the 'my team is better than your team' path please.
lulz This was not even an attempt at a thread derailment.brb 10 pg derailments daily on cricket chat with mods doing nothing.
Mods need to be consistent.Some of you are not. No hate, just sayin.
Oh and where in my post did I say my team was better than x team?
Just sayin

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
Have South Africa taken a big step in removing the CHOKERS tag ..

yeps and another outfit has taken a big step in acquiring the JOKERS tag ..

tooextracool

International Coach
Correct me if I am wrong here but this is SA's record in world cup knock out games:

92 World Cup: 1st knockout game = semis vs England. Result: Lost
96 World cup: 1st knockout game = Quarters vs WI. Result: Lost
99 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
2003 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
2007 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Australia. Result: Lost
2011 World Cup. 1st knockout game = Quarters vs ? Result: ?

2007 T20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage
2009 T20 World Cup: 1st knockout game = Semis vs Pakistan. Result: Lost
2010 t20 World Cup: Didnt reach knockout stage.

Given that they have lost 100% of their knockout games in history, it is a bit hard to understand how beating India in a rather meaningless game is supposed to cure 19 years that they've spent building and enhancing their reputation as the game's finest World cup knockout chokers. The only way to remove the tag is for them to replace that question mark with a win.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
@ Topic Title - I certainly think so. This was the sort of situation South Africans are renowned for losing their heads in, 46 in 5 overs with on Du Plessis, Botha, Peterson and Steyn/Morkel to come. But Botha rose to the occasion, du Plessis kept his head, and Peterson blazed them home. Quite impressive.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Correct me if I am wrong here but this is SA's record in world cup knock out games:

Given that they have lost 100% of their knockout games in history, it is a bit hard to understand how beating India in a rather meaningless game is supposed to cure 19 years that they've spent building and enhancing their reputation as the game's finest World cup knockout chokers. The only way to remove the tag is for them to replace that question mark with a win.
Haha that's astonishing.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. Nothing worthy of drawing conclusions from, anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Unfortunately you haven't supported that with anything. All evidence suggests they bottle it. It's not just a myth that they don't perform in world tournaments.

Would love to know their record in recent Champions Trophy tournaments as well.

Blaze 18

Banned

:thumbup:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many WC knockout games have NZ won? Are they chokers as well? It's four or five games FFS.

I do think there's an element of mental fragility about them under pressure, but you can't draw that conclusion based on a list of knockout results, you have to watch them play.

FTR, SA won the inaugural Champions Trophy in '98 when Tendulkar scored that hundred against Australia and took 4 wickets in the same game. Beat WI in the final IIRC.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Of course NZ have had the talent that South Africa have had in the last 10-12 years :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
you have to watch them play.
I daresay most people on this forum have done that.

2007 WC semi stands out the most to me. A perfect example of Australian mindgames absolutely owning South Africa. The match was lost before the coin was even tossed :laugh: