• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Injured Broad facing World Cup exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was struggling to come up with a like to like example. Can't really think of one.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not only is Broad England's best ODI bowler but with him and KP gone England are losing the players that can really produce something special.

I only started to believe we could seriously win the World T20 when KP starting swatting around Steyn and Morkel in the second round, you could tell it was going to be his tournament. Similarly when Broad outed Jayawardena with a beaut in the semi, he did as much as anyone to win that tournament for us.

Losing both of them is a seriously hefty blow.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not only is Broad England's best ODI bowler but with him and KP gone England are losing the players that can really produce something special.

I only started to believe we could seriously win the World T20 when KP starting swatting around Steyn and Morkel in the second round, you could tell it was going to be his tournament. Similarly when Broad outed Jayawardena with a beaut in the semi, he did as much as anyone to win that tournament for us.

Swann. Anderson when it's going his way. Strauss is capable too.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phwoar that's a big blow for England. Hopefully it's not too serious, the less excuses the English have when we brush past them later on in the tournament the better.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I disagree re: KP producing something special. He was an awesome ODI bat but he's been beyond terrible since 2009, averaging in the low twenties and throwing away promising start after promising start. Personally think Trott and Strauss are much more reliable bets to produce a century on a touch pitch chasing 270.

Jacknife

International Captain

Yes, completely agree and as much as KP hasn't kicked on and got a big score, I really did think, there was one coming, especially in the knock out rounds. But loosing Broad is huge and no matter who's waiting to come in, they won't be anywhere near the quality of Broad. I really feel for the guy, he's only played a few games since coming back from injury and he must have been really excited, to get back with the team and compete, after missing the Ashes celebration.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cricinfo reporting he's deffo gonesville.

Huge blow; Tremmers the obvious choice as he's already over there and is the closest like for like available (batting excepted).

Woakes would be my shout; think his wicket-to-wicket trajectory and medium pace made for these wickets.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well that's clearly unfair. Any good reason why they can't pause the tournament until he's better?

The tournament has been shorn of its best seamer IMO :(

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not the same side strain that ruled him out of the Ashes is it?

Never thought I'd see Brumby campaigning for Woakes' selection either..

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad is arguably the best ODI pacer in the world. It'd be like India losing Zaheer.
I would say Morkel is a bit better than Broad because he is more economical, with a similar bowling style. Then you have the bowlers who can be more destructive on their day like Lee, Johnson, Akhtar, Malinga etc.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Does this mean Tremlett get a chance? He does deserve to be in the team after the brilliant show in the Ashes.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, sod it. I'm gonna be positive on this. We were nervous when Tremlett came into the Ashes team for Broad and he was absolute ****awesome.

Now if you don't mind I'm off to go read through the match thread for Boxing day.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Really feel for the English fans :down: I hope you manage to replace broad with somebody who performs just as good as him. This world cup definitely needs a competitive England for it to be a complete success. Plus if Pak gets knocked out, it would be nice if England took the trophy :)

Spark

Global Moderator
I would say Morkel is a bit better than Broad because he is more economical, with a similar bowling style. Then you have the bowlers who can be more destructive on their day like Lee, Johnson, Akhtar, Malinga etc.
Yeah, fair shout, although Broad is probably a bit more versatile, and a bit more aggressive. And the point about destructiveness is noted - in both directions.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bring in Rashid. Did well in the Kentucky ****y, didn't he? Means no more Yardy, no possibility of Tredwell and Shahzad can cover for Broad.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Broad is one of the few players I really really dislike. Happy to see him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.