• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 13 - Netherlands v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
England should be well favourites but I wouldn't count out the Windies.

One of the main problems for the Windies is both the injury count and a lack of depth. It's really hurt when bowlers like Taylor and Edwards then batsmen like Barath continually miss matches because of injuries without adequate replacements

Last edited:

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Right, but they still lost the series, which is what I said. I pointed out that they haven't won an ODI series against a Test-playing nation for nearly three years, while England have won serveral.

Of course, which is why I'm not going to berate them for that season. But that series vs Bangladesh and the CT amounted to 6 matches in one season, which is not much considering we're talking about three years of performances.

(As an aside, I would hesitate to call that side 4th string, as it wasn't entirely different from the side playing now. Sammy, Smith, Roach, Thomas and Miller were all playing.)

You don't count "almost winning one match out of 5" as a good performance, and at the same time ignore England's winning streak over the same time period, which included a 2-1 series win in South Africa.

I think the Windies have a lot of talent in their side and are as good as anyone on their day, but evidently have performed as a team very rarely in the recent past. For that reason I would have England start the match as favourites, and by some distance.
In that time England have also lost twice to Australia 6-1 which has been ignored.
Injuries to key West Indies players may well shift the momentum back to England, but this match could certainly go the West Indies way, IMHO there is not much between these sides in ODI

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Difference is those are the only 2 series losses (and both could be excused by the reserve team factor which you seem to be adamant is WI's excuse)

If the sides are really so close, how come one has won a lot more series in recent times than the other?

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Difference is those are the only 2 series losses (and both could be excused by the reserve team factor which you seem to be adamant is WI's excuse)

They were two emphathic series losses, Windies have hardly played many games in the last 2 years with a full strength team hardly more than 1 series so tough to compare form, England has been up and down West Indies hasnt had much to speak of but a lot of it was with a weakened team.

If the sides are really so close, how come one has won a lot more series in recent times than the other?
On the day this match will be to close to call the best side will win! Bravo out helps England cause but I still think in these conditions West Indies have a great shot at winning.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It was 2009 the Windies last won against a Test playing team and that was against England when they lost a tight series 3-2

And it was not one series they were at 4th strign it was the rest of that season including the ICC Champions Trophy.

You make any team play with a 4th string unit and they will struggle as the Windies did.

Sure West Indies lost 5-0 to SA last year a poor result, although SA are on of the favourites here but if you look closer at that match, that series could easily have been 4-1 in the Windies favour.

They are a good ODI side and in these conditions it will be a very touch game for England to win.
:laugh: South Africa won the 1st ODI by over 60 run (D/L), the 3rd again by over 60 runs and the 4th by 7 wickets. Not sure how that adds up to 4-1 in the Windies favour...