• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 4 - Australia v Zimbabwe

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Australia.. anyone here kind enough to summarize what happened in the innings?

morgieb

Lol Australia.. anyone here kind enough to summarize what happened in the innings?
260-odd isn't that bad I feel.

Spinners also played a part, as was a slow start.

Just because we didn't toy with them like the other sides doesn't make us bad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Started out trying to mimic continental drift. Haddin got out, Ponting came in, scoring rate picked up a lot. Watson got out post 50. Ponting then got ran out by an epic throw. Clarke and White came together, Clarke generally keeping his scoring rate decent with singles, White failing to do the same. Powerplay, Clarke hit a few fours and worked some more singles. White generally failed to do anything of use, and got out on the last ball of the powerplay. Dussey came in, hit a few fours in very quick time, got out. Clarke got 50 and hit some fours. Smith got in, amazingly beat Hussey in SR by miles, got out. That's basically it.

In the end 260 is OK but below par, but even that's mostly down to the efforts of Clarke, Hussey, Smith and Johnson. A decent knock by Watson up top too, started very slow but mostly made up for lost time. I shudder to think what may have happened if, say, White was in at the end.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Zimbabwe introduced spin from the second over, opening partnership for Australia was at a snails pace. Both openers got out to plumb lbw's that needed to be referred. Ponting got out to an amazing outfield throw, and barring White, the middle/lower order scored at a fair clip to salvage a score that isn't completely pathetic.

pup11

International Coach
Good knock from Clarke, but think Clarke needs to develop a few big scoring shots for the slog overs or bring out those cheeky dinks he used to play in the past.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Australia haven't won yet mate. The fact is they didn't just not "toy" with them, they haven't guaranteed victory. All it takes is a ****ty opening spell from Tait and anything can happen.

You'd imagine Australia will win easily, but it's not locked in.

Daemon

Started out trying to mimic continental drift. Haddin got out, Ponting came in, scoring rate picked up a lot. Watson got out post 50. Ponting then got ran out by an epic throw. Clarke and White came together, Clarke generally keeping his scoring rate decent with singles, White failing to do the same. Powerplay, Clarke hit a few fours and worked some more singles. White generally failed to do anything of use, and got out on the last ball of the powerplay. Dussey came in, hit a few fours in very quick time, got out. Clarke got 50 and hit some fours. Smith got in, amazingly beat Hussey in SR by miles, got out. That's basically it.

In the end 260 is OK but below par, but even that's mostly down to the efforts of Clarke, Hussey, Smith and Johnson. A decent knock by Watson up top too, started very slow but mostly made up for lost time. I shudder to think what may have happened if, say, White was in at the end.
Zimbabwe introduced spin from the second over, opening partnership for Australia was at a snails pace. Both openers got out to plumb lbw's that needed to be referred. Ponting got out to an amazing outfield throw, and barring White, the middle/lower order scored at a fair clip to salvage a score that isn't completely pathetic.

So it seems Australia's current weakness is spin, especially if Clarke and Ponting fail?

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Still a winning score, they just need to get better which i am sure they will as the tournament progresses. The main thing for concern is the way they played the spinners as other nations will have far better ones in their ranks than Zim have.

If Zim are to get close then somebody needs to get a ton and bat like they never have before, can't see it myself.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good knock from Clarke, but think Clarke needs to develop a few big scoring shots for the slog overs or bring out those cheeky dinks he used to play in the past.
He'll get a gift four here and there but what he needs to work on is trying to get a two every ball. That's what turns a good over into a bad one and a bad over into a painful one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Australia haven't won yet mate. The fact is they didn't just not "toy" with them, they haven't guaranteed victory. All it takes is a ****ty opening spell from Tait and anything can happen.

You'd imagine Australia will win easily, but it's not locked in.
As I said before, Zimbabwe would still be in the game against most teams, but I reckon Australia's attack will be too quick for them. Not saying Australia's bowlers are better than say, Sri Lanka's, but they're less likely to be played well by Zimbabwe IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The main thing for concern is the way they played the spinners as other nations will have far better ones in their ranks than Zim have.
Honestly don't really agree. Price is actually ranked #4 in the world for ODI bowling - which flatters him a bit as Zimbabwe have played more against Bangladesh than the other teams in recent times, but still shows his quality.

I'm not saying Zimbabwe have better spinners than the other sides but the gap in quality between them and most teams is basically non-existent. They're properly good at it; it's a genuine strength of theirs and they certainly shouldn't be considered minnows in this area.

Last edited: