Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Which do u think is the toughest Group?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Group A?

6 19.35%
  • Group B?

25 80.65%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ICC Cricket World Cup 2011: Groups

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Group A is stronger by virtue of having two strong Asian sides and the World Champions. I would also have New Zealand over West Indies.
    Australia being the champions does not automatically make them among the favourites. Almost all the players that won them the 2007 title have gone. They have a good side but remember that they have lost their last 3 ODI series (last 5 including T20) in a row.

Pakistan being Asian doesn't mean they get more credit than England or South Africa, they will also be playing away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Ireland aren't in ideal conditions to cause upsets imo, whereas Zimbabwe has decent spin options and they make me pretty nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    I would agree on Bangladesh; not too sure about Ireland and Netherlands. I reckon Zimbabwe are more likely to cause an upset than those two.
    Yes, I would agree that Zimbabwe have a stronger side than Ireland, but the fact that Ireland are possibly the weakest team in their group, as oppose to Zimbabwe's ~5th, shows the greater depth in group B. Ireland and the Netherlands are both much stronger than Kenya and Canada.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 23-12-2010 at 05:35 AM.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Australia being the champions does not automatically make them among the favourites. Almost all the players that won them the 2007 title have gone. They have a good side but remember that they have lost their last 3 ODI series (last 5 including T20) in a row.
    I would agree that Australia don't have a side as strong as last time, but you can never count them out. I would certainly have them among the favourites to win the trophy, alongside Sri Lanka, India, England and South Africa. They haven't lost a World Cup game for nearly a dozen years now, that is crazy!

In fact, I would have Australia over South Africa - World Cup games are all about pressure, and South Africa always tend to wilt under pressure.

Pakistan being Asian doesn't mean they get more credit than England or South Africa, they will also be playing away from home.
    Much more familiar with the conditions ?

Yes, I would agree that Zimbabwe have a stronger side than Ireland, but the fact that Ireland are possibly the weakest team in their group, as oppose to Zimbabwe's ~5th, shows the greater depth in group B. Ireland and the Netherlands are both much stronger than Kenya and Canada.
    I think all of Ireland, Netherlands, Kenya and Canada will struggle in those conditions. Out of the minnow teams, only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (to a lesser extent) are capable of pulling off upsets in my opinion.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Group B by a mile...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Take a good look at the groups. There is to be said seven top teams in the world.
    In order:
    Australia(A)
    India(B)
    Sri Lanka(A)
    South-Africa(B)
    England(B)
    Pakistan(A)
    New-Zealand(A)

Group A have 4 of the seven top teams in the world and therefore the toughest.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket100% View Post
    Take a good look at the groups. There is to be said seven top teams in the world.
    In order:
    Australia(A)
    India(B)
    Sri Lanka(A)
    South-Africa(B)
    England(B)
    Pakistan(A)
    New-Zealand(A)

Are NZ really in the top 7 following their defeat to Bangladesh?
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    There would be an argument for it to be honest. Regardless of how poorly we've played in the last month or two we still may be right up there in ODIs at the end of the day. Just can't see us doing well in the subcontinent right now though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket100% View Post
    In order:
    Australia(A)
    India(B)
    Sri Lanka(A)
    South-Africa(B)
    England(B)
    Pakistan(A)
    New-Zealand(A)

Group B has 3 of the top 5, who are closer than the gap between 5th and 6th IMO.

Competetive for who though?

For the upper eschelon of teams I'd say there's not that much in it really. Group B has the strongest team on paper, but at the next rung down I think both Sri Lanka and Australia will be a tougher prospect than SA, Pakistan in familiar conditions scare me more than England, and there's probably not all that much between NZ and WI.

The group B associates are stronger purely by the inclusion of Bangladesh, but I don't think any of the top 6 nations will be particularly worried about any of the them. I'd shade group B but I don't think it's as clear cut as all that.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    How come you class Bangladesh as an Associate though?

Home territory, and ranked 8 in the World.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    How come you class Bangladesh as an Associate though?

Home territory, and ranked 8 in the World.
    I guess that depends on who they're playing. I doubt any of the top 6 nations will have too much trouble with them (famous last words I guess) so for the better teams the stronger group will depend on whether they find India, England and SA more scary than Aus, SL and Pakistan. Hence me saying it depends on who's perspective we're looking from.

From an Australian perspective I'm more worried about Pakistan and SL than I am about England and SA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information