• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

LA ICE-E

State Captain
****, i didn't even know the semis was today!!! man....devastated that NZ did make it past the semis, AGAIN!!! what happened?

pasag

RTDAS
Top win for SL. The last 10 pages of this thread is why I like Murali tbh. What a champ.

Well done to NZ on a quality tournament. One of the best ODI sides in the world and losing a semi doesn't change that. I'm confident they'll go from strength to strength. Quality side.

Jayawardene though, stuff legends are made from. Career defining knock. For him to come good when SL were two of their best batsmen down, in a semi, is really awesome. Good luck to SL in the final, whoever they play.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Lots of sour grapes in this thread. Truth is, Sri Lanka are a better team than New Zealand. As I said earlier in this thread, I was suprised at the belief many people held that New Zealand could win the World Cup. Sri Lanka always struck me as a muh stronger team. And like I said, it's not a knock on New Zealand, it's just that Sri Lanka, Australia and South Africa look, to me anyway, as being clearly the three best teams in the world. And like I said, New Zealanders have problems playing the great Murali! Now it's time for Murali to win Sri Lanka the World Cup and etch his name deeper into history. To New Zealand's credit, they went as far as they could go and played some cracking cricket in some of the games.

Sri Lanka are just better. If the teams played 9 times, I'd estimate Sri Lanka would win about 6 of those games. That's just my opinion and the way I see it.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After they changed the rules to accommodate him! I've never brought this "scientific test" poppycock. I trust my own eyes and my own eyes tell me he throws. I don't believe he stays within the "15 degree" limit very often anyway.
They didn't change the rules just for him though. Tests showed that almost every single bowler (except for, IIRC, that renowned legspinner Ramnaresh Sarwan) was throwing it according to the old rules, even people with classical actions like McGrath. And given that you've got solid scientific proof, how can you simply dismiss it as 'poppycock?'

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I said before all games began that Sri Lanka had a great chance to win this tournament and I'm glad to have been proved right.

Now comes the final and a likely meeting with Australia (I will be extremely surprised if the South Africans beat Australia in the other semi)
Australia will start strong favorurites but as I've always said, I think Australia fear Sri Lanka more thjan any other team - they are a side who do the ODI basics (fielding and running between the wickets excellently), they're good under pressure and they have a litle bit of subcontinental unpredictability - NZ and SAF are sides whose gameplans are very well understood by the Aussies.

STill think the Aussies will win unfortuinately but if anyone can spoil their party, it's Sri Lanka.

Athlai

Not Terrible
10th AME Roberts & J Garner 71 WI Ind 1983 Old Trafford

I was definitely looking for Patel and Franklin to go all the way. :laugh: Pretty close to reaching the record.

Fiery

Banned
They didn't change the rules just for him though. Tests showed that almost every single bowler (except for, IIRC, that renowned legspinner Ramnaresh Sarwan) was throwing it according to the old rules, even people with classical actions like McGrath. And given that you've got solid scientific proof, how can you simply dismiss it as 'poppycock?'
Which suggests to me either there was a serious flaw in the old rules or in the "tests". I think it would be much better just to have a panel of humans deciding whether a player is chucking or not and do away with these rubbish "scientific" methods

Perm

Which suggests to me either there was a serious flaw in the old rules or in the "tests". I think it would be much better just to have a panel of humans deciding whether a player is chucking or not and do away with these rubbish "scientific" methods
:laugh: Good one.

andyc

I think it would be much better just to have a panel of humans deciding whether a player is chucking or not and do away with these rubbish "scientific" methods
Haha. Please, please, please tell me that's a joke

Athlai

Not Terrible
Patel can be our opening batsman and opening bowler.

Seconded!
He would be so excited. Half the time when he hit the ball he looked like he was amazed at how well it came off.

"So this is batting...
Its not that hard."