• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oram prepared to give up finger

pasag

RTDAS
Seems ****ing stupid to me. Daniel Chick had a similar thing in AFL, where a couple of years back he had his finger amputated to prolong his career, which included a premiership last year. Still, it's your finger ffs. Although the dedication and sentiment is quite respectable. Anyways, this is only the very worst case scenario.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chick and Oram's case is different to be fair, because Chick just wanted to prolong his career, which for the most part is 'his life'. He didn't do it for one specific event like the finals series of one year or something.

Oram on the other hand can play cricket and continue his career in the future even if his finger doesn't heal in time for the WC, he'd only miss the one tournament. The amputation is specifically to allow him to play in the WC, which is crazy, yet admirable at the same time. He obviously wants it!

Either way its unbelievable, and you can never deny Oram's dedication to his team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, good point.
Or not, depending on which digit goes. Sorry, but the guy's a fruitcake. I suppose it does lend itself to another thread along the lines of what parts of your body would you willingly lose to play in the WC though.

pasag

RTDAS
Or not, depending on which digit goes. Sorry, but the guy's a fruitcake. I suppose it does lend itself to another thread along the lines of what parts of your body would you willingly lose to play in the WC though.
:laugh:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can we raise an "incomplete international cricketers" XI?

Titmus played again after losing a toe or two in the WI. Gatting played again after leaving a bit of his nose in the ball from Marshall that hit him in 1985/6. Anyone else?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Or two? IIRR he lost 4, and it sounded a pretty horrific accident too.
Understatement on my part to protect the sensibilities of more squeamish CW members.
Yes, it sounded dreadful. Boating accident, wasn't it?

Fusion

Global Moderator
This is one of the most incredible stories I've read. On one hand I want to admire the guy's commitment, but on the other hand this is just so....stupid. Give up a finger just to play in a WC? When in all honesty your team is not even the favorites to win it all? Sounds a bit crazy to me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This is one of the most incredible stories I've read. On one hand I want to admire the guy's commitment, but on the other hand this is just so....stupid. Give up a finger just to play in a WC? When in all honesty your team is not even the favorites to win it all? Sounds a bit crazy to me.
More than a bit. And wtf have the coach & captain had to say about this? Strewth, it's a cricket tournament, that's all. No-one in NZ cricket is coming out of this with any credit if he goes ahead with the amputation, imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can we raise an "incomplete international cricketers" XI?

Titmus played again after losing a toe or two in the WI. Gatting played again after leaving a bit of his nose in the ball from Marshall that hit him in 1985/6. Anyone else?
One of the few cricketers to have a song written about him that I know of. The seminal Half Man Half Biscuit's ****ing Hell, it's Fred Titmus. :D

The Nawab of Pataudi played after losing an eye (or most of its vision anyway) & Colin Milburn played FC cricket after losing one, but I don't think he played internationals after his accident.

& of course, Sir Geoffrey is very famously sans a spleen. Not that he'd ever stoop so low as to mention it himself, mind... :whistling

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
That makes much more sense.

Unfortunately the only article I've read suggesting it was a joke was on the Herald's website, but is still presuming he's serious.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the few cricketers to have a song written about him that I know of. The seminal Half Man Half Biscuit's ****ing Hell, it's Fred Titmus. :D

The Nawab of Pataudi played after losing an eye (or most of its vision anyway) & Colin Milburn played FC cricket after losing one, but I don't think he played internationals after his accident.
A very, very ill-advised course of action.

Milburn post-eye-injury was a skeleton, never mind shadow, of his former self.

Natman20

International Debutant
Sorry everyone who thought he was serious and that dedicated but he was semi laughing when he said that comment.