• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drug Testing? World Cup?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
OK.

The rules need changing - simple as. It's a mark of them that I don't even know what such rules might pertain to. Do ICC have a list of banned substances, or are they just referred to a WACA code?
Yea, WADA code is it. In France for example, creatine is banned...which is ridiculous. A consistent international code is what is needed.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
as the other one day and test series are not a icc tournament and are by their respective boards, icc do can't test the players while the icc checks any random players in every of their tournaments. its not necessary for any board to conduct a drug test but they do that because they don't want any of their players to be there in a such big tournament to be sent home by the icc as thats a shame to the country and shame that tournament so they check their players and send them home if they are using it on their own. and those who do that atleast none of their players ar the big tournament we using drugs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In Australia, an NRL player was sacked by his club after he was found with cocaine in his system in an in-house club testing regime. Therefore, because he wasn't captured by NRL officials, he was able to sign up with another club next year and not get an official ban.

Potentially, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of other sporting organizations doing this in the future. The AFL code regarding "recreational drugs" is in my opinion a much better one than the WADA code.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah because that has to do with the boards keeping their full membership...all full members have to play the other members. so its upto the boards they don't have to follow the ftp but they wont be a full member though its still the board's bussiness

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No serious mention has ever been made of kicking countries off the board.

Fines have, and have been genuine reasons for tours being undertaken.

A similar thing for drug-testing could quite easily be put into place.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
uh if a country dont play any cricket for a year just wait and see if they still have full membership. but at the end the icc isnt organizing the tours so at the end of the day if you would like something like that then it would still be the boards doing the testing with icc putting fines if a board to test its players so it still wouldn't be the icc testing the players. it only test players at icc tournaments and that totally makes sense. thats how it is for most sports

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I$C$C does schudule all tours - same way it makes the Laws Of Cricket.

It'd be perfectly straightforward to incorporate a playing-condition about drug-testing, which would then be binding to the participants.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree that they can and should mandate drug testing.

But the two respective board schedule the tours bilaterally. As long as they play each other home and away in an ODI and Test series every six years, everyone is happy.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
1. no it doesn't a tour can happen when ever 2 boards agree as long all the teams play each other once home/away in 6 years/
2.the ICC doesn't make or ever made the Laws Of Cricket.
3. even if drug testing was mandatory (which probably will be soon) the icc wouldn't do it, the boards would and just send the report to the icc.
so at the end of the day what you said is why is it upto the boards?because the boards organizes the tours not icc, icc just sets the guidelines. so the icc would just set the guidelines for drug testing as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. no it doesn't a tour can happen when ever 2 boards agree as long all the teams play each other once home/away in 6 years/
There's flexibility, but there's also a specific plan.
2.the ICC doesn't make or ever made the Laws Of Cricket.
Yes, it does - MCC remain the "keepers" but I$C$C (via committee) can and do change them. Witness the graphite-bat incident of late.
3. even if drug testing was mandatory (which probably will be soon) the icc wouldn't do it, the boards would and just send the report to the icc.
so at the end of the day what you said is why is it upto the boards?because the boards organizes the tours not icc, icc just sets the guidelines. so the icc would just set the guidelines for drug testing as well.
I$C$C would organise drug-testing same way it organised Umpires, Match-Referees, etc. We all know what happened when a National Board refused to accept a I$C$C Match-Referee - the match had Test status stripped.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
There's flexibility, but there's also a specific plan.

Yes, it does - MCC remain the "keepers" but I$C$C (via committee) can and do change them. Witness the graphite-bat incident of late.

I$C$C would organise drug-testing same way it organised Umpires, Match-Referees, etc. We all know what happened when a National Board refused to accept a I$C$C Match-Referee - the match had Test status stripped.
uh no MCC is not just the keeper they, here its from wikipedea "Even though the ICC doesn't have copyright to the laws of cricket and only the MCC may change the laws, nowadays this would usually only be done after discussions with the game's global governing body, the ICC."

and so icc doesn't change anything with its committee MCC just discusses the rules with the ICC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
MCC is a private club.

Do you really imagine the cricket World is so absurd that an English club has any say whatsoever in the way the game is govorned?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
uh your just stupid. who said anything about how the game is governed. i said MCC has the copyright to the Laws of cricket! so the icc doesn't change laws

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err... I$C$C do change the laws... MCC are merely the "keepers", for no other reason than "that's the way it's always been".

MCC are not in reality any players in the grand scheme any longer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it's not. In theory they retain the power to completely throw-out any changes.

This is in theory only. No committee of 10 middle-aged Englishmen who've done nothing more than pay a subscription in reality have the right to make the ultimate decision on the direction of a global game.

Craig

World Traveller
Some people are just so blinded in their hate/bias/whatever against certain countries that they just don't look at facts.

If Pakistan didn't care about their players using drugs, they wouldn't have tested them. WI and India do not test their players. At all. For all you know, Dravid and Lara could be on steroids for ten years, and you wouldn't know. WI is starting soon I believe.

But let's gang up on a board that tried, even though the implementation left a lot to be desired. I mean who wants to think through the situation when you can just throw one liners.
WHAT?!

That's unbelievable.