• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sirjeremy11 said:
I think though that if England pick him for any of their A squads BEFORE the World Cup, then he is inelligable. Just in case they want him for themselves. I think the ICC should be very relaxed on rules when it comes to propping up the Minnows at the World Cup. Be great if they were not required for their home team (Joyce in this case for England), but they could play for Ireland etc without it affecting their test match chances. Make Bermuda pretty much WI A I guess...
WI F plus David Hemp more like.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Ppl seems to forget that Zimb has always given good performance in WC, so don't count them out yet, they also happen to be one of my fav teams:) .Wi too should qualify, especially when they are playing on home ground.

Hopefully WI and Zimb will make it to the other round.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
IndianByHeart said:
Ppl seems to forget that Zimb has always given good performance in WC, so don't count them out yet, they also happen to be one of my fav teams:) .Wi too should qualify, especially when they are playing on home ground.

And the only reason you're tipping Zimbabwe is because they're in Pakistan's group 8-)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IndianByHeart said:

And you "seems" to forget that there are no Flowers, a Streak or a Johnson in this Zimbabwe team.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And the only reason you're tipping Zimbabwe is because they're in Pakistan's group 8-)
(Hypothetically speaking) If Nepal were in Pakistan’s group IndianByHeart would fully expect (and want) a Nepalese victory.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
No, i actually have always supported the Zimb team (except when they are playing against India).Too bad that the politics is destroying their team and their country:@

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's a difference between supporting and tipping.

I'm English and support England, but wouldn't tip them to win anything.

The only reason you've tipped them is because they're in Pakistan's group, it is not based on any logical reasoning.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
There's a difference between supporting and tipping.

I'm English and support England, but wouldn't tip them to win anything.

The only reason you've tipped them is because they're in Pakistan's group, it is not based on any logical reasoning.
Looks like you didn't read carefully as to what i said, i said that i'm HOPING that Zimbabwe would qualify for next round.

You don't need "logical reasons" for a hope, Zimbabwe may not be a great team and neither is England a good one, but its fan can still hope alot from them, especially in Onedayers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

IndianByHeart said:
Looks like you didn't read carefully as to what i said, i said that i'm HOPING that Zimbabwe would qualify for next round.

You don't need "logical reasons" for a hope, Zimbabwe may not be a great team and neither is England a good one, but its fan can still hope alot from them, especially in Onedayers.
But but but... Zimbabwe is a terrible ODI side right now. They've got a lot to do over the next year to become as bad as England.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But but but... Zimbabwe is a terrible ODI side right now. They've got a lot to do over the next year to become as bad as England.
I'm not comparing the two or saying that they are of similar strength, all i'm saying that we can still hope for these sides to win some matches.

Zimb's decline has a lot to do with political situation, which is highly unfortunate really.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
West Indies and Pakistan should qualify with the latter winning the group. I'd expect Ireland to come third ahead of Zimbabwe unless they improve greatly over the upcoming months.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I actually tip the West Indies to beat Pakistan and therefore win the group next year.

You read it here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IndianByHeart said:

Err, Zimb have never before been a country that's in pieces when playing in a World Cup before (though in 2003 they weren't too far off).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I actually tip the West Indies to beat Pakistan and therefore win the group next year.

You read it here.
I tip Pakistan to beat West Indies. :)

Darren

Cricket Spectator
Hamilton

steds said:
Now that's summat I'd never thought about. I know Hamilton couldn't play for Scotland for a while after he played for England, but it wasn't the other way around. Maybe the rule just applies to after playing test cricket for a nation?
Because Scotland were not a test or odi playing nation and well when he played against South Africa for England .15 overs 0-63 2 ings o runs not great debut is it hes retired now.

Darren

Cricket Spectator
Dont forget Ireland.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

You read it here.
I tip my side Ireland to beat Zimabwe and come third. We do have Joyce ,Morgan and Whelan all Middlesex players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure Joyce can play the World Cup if he's got England ambitions (and I'd suggest he'll already have played for England by the time the World Cup comes around anyway)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Not sure Joyce can play the World Cup if he's got England ambitions (and I'd suggest he'll already have played for England by the time the World Cup comes around anyway)
He retains his eligibility to play for Ireland up to the moment he actually plays a test match or an ODI for the full England team (the recent 'A' tour doesn't count).

It's a moot point as to whether he is eligible for England for the 2007 WC, having played in the qualifier for the Paddies, but I guess there's not been a precedent. Anyway, it's probably not counted as an official qualifier.