• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Like I said, it was what was claimed before the 2001 Ashes as well. And, to a lesser extent, before the 2002-3 Ashes as well
Anyone who claimed it in 2002\03 was out of their mind.
That series was probably the biggest gap between the teams in the last 16 years - bigger even than 1989.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Well, England weren't acknowledged as a true Test force before the Ashes (Nonsense, you say, but the exact same thing happened before 2001, and they were wiped off the park).

It only took 5 (realistically 4) matches and suddenly England is 'easily' the second best Test side in the world. So, yes, 5 or 6 games do mean much.
It certainly took 7.
And even then it was just propaganda, people (mostly Englishmen) talking up the team far higher than it warranted.
Beating West Indies and New Zealand merely showed that England were not in the lower reaches of Test cricket.
Only after the series in South Africa could England genuinely be considered 2nd-best in The World - which is 16 games.
Quite a bit.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
It certainly took 7.
And even then it was just propaganda, people (mostly Englishmen) talking up the team far higher than it warranted.
Beating West Indies and New Zealand merely showed that England were not in the lower reaches of Test cricket.
Only after the series in South Africa could England genuinely be considered 2nd-best in The World - which is 16 games.
Quite a bit.
Why would they be second in the world after beating a team who were 5/6 in the World Ratings and on a horrible slide. I'm not saying they weren't the second best team but it wasn't until after The Ashes that they could genuinely claim to be the second best in the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, South Africa's position in the rankings said far more about the rankings than them. About their only really poor results were losing in Pakistan and drawing in New Zealand.
Any fool could tell that they were a far, far tougher proposition for England than New Zealand and West Indies were.
Aside from the First Test (which ended-up being won comfortably) South Africa had a pretty strong side. Of course, it'd be better if Nel had been fit for the whole series, but there we are.
I really don't see how any team except Australia could be ranked ahead of England in early 2005.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Err, South Africa's position in the rankings said far more about the rankings than them.
It's amazing how they're supposedly such a good side yet their record isn't actually that good isn't it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it's not - as I said, their record in the last 3 years isn't actually that bad, they've just played the 4 most difficult series in that time (Ind and SL away, Aus home and away).
As I also said - they simply had 2 poor results (shouldn't have lost in Pakistan, should have beaten New Zealand).
With any luck, they'll soon wrap-up their first Test series win over someone other than WI since 2002\03, just to put the record straight.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, it's not - as I said, their record in the last 3 years isn't actually that bad, they've just played the 4 most difficult series in that time (Ind and SL away, Aus home and away).
As I also said - they simply had 2 poor results (shouldn't have lost in Pakistan, should have beaten New Zealand).
With any luck, they'll soon wrap-up their first Test series win over someone other than WI since 2002\03, just to put the record straight.
That last sentence shows how poor they've been performing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, no, it doesn't.
As I said - the only poor results were losing in Pakistan and failing to beat New Zealand in New Zealand.
Almost everyone loses in Sri Lanka and India, and most people lose to Australia home and away, too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If they were as good as you make out they'd have at least done more than lose every difficult series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When did I ever make-out that they're good enough not to lose the 4 most difficult series in cricket?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I guess it really just shows how unimportant Bangladesh are.
I'd say there are about 140 million Bangladeshis who disagree with you there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
Honestly Richard learn some respect. There are Bangladeshis and Bangladeshi supporters on this forum.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
If you dont like it, get the **** out of this thread. I am sick of you badmouthing Bangladesh. Thank god for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, else people would have been saying the same about England ODI team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Honestly Richard learn some respect. There are Bangladeshis and Bangladeshi supporters on this forum.
As well as a large number of other supporters of Cricket who can see past their own first opinions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
I'd say there are about 140 million Bangladeshis who disagree with you there.
But I'm not Bangladeshi and nor are pretty much everyone on this forum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
If you dont like it, get the **** out of this thread.
I'll get out of and into whatever threads I want to.
I am sick of you badmouthing Bangladesh.
And I'm sick of people talking them up way beyond what they've merited.
Thank god for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, else people would have been saying the same about England ODI team.
And West Indies, too, probably... 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
How many?
And how many who aren't idiots like that crickmate?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
But I'm not Bangladeshi and nor are pretty much everyone on this forum.
So what? It still doesn't give you the right to badmouth an entire country because their cricket team has an effect on your beloved stats. Spread your hate elsewhere, because I and many others don't appreciate you clogging up this thread with negativity.

I notice that you ignored Jono's request that you show some respect. Do you honestly think you're above even showing basic respect and courtesy to people?